• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DB shoulder press

Shank

Hi guys,

Just a quick one, with a dumbell shoulder press, i will be doing it seated, can i still do it on my bench if it doesn't go copmletely vertical, has a slight angle?

Also will doing military press , db shoulder press and upright rows be better in a split or replace the shoulder press with arnold press?

Cheers
Shank

Do it standing or just do not worry about the back support if seated.
Posted via Mobile Device

sorry just another question,

in the same workout i do tri's aswell, i do dips, tricep rope, underhand pulldowns.

Should i swapout the tricep rope for push downs (do both those cable exercises work the inner head?)

I thought tricep pushdowns were done with a tricep rope?

also i'm not sure that underhand pulldowns are a great tricep exercise...

I have a straight bar and a rope.

Ok so how would you re work those exercises, i will take any advice

Well,

Triceps arn't a major muscle, and they tend to get overtrained in bodybuilding (chest and shoulder work often rely on the tricep as a major mover, and triceps get hit again during back work when operating as an antagonist muscle to pulling movements).

For that reason I'd probably only pick one exercise for triceps. Traditionally the most popular tricep exercises for bodybuilders tend to be skull crushers (tricep extension) and tricep pushdowns (done with a rope). Heres a few ways you could use them effectively:

Say you combine triceps with chest, shoulders (eg a 'push' day):
4x10 bench
3x8 overhead press
3x10 skull crushers OR tricep pushdowns

Say you have a shoulder and arms day:
4x10 military press
3x10 side laterals
3x10 skull crushers OR tricep pushdowns
3x10 of some kind of bicep curl.

Shank you seem to be really interested in if specific heads of muscles are being worked. I am assuming you are a beginner due to these questions. I think you should focus on big compound exercises first and get some strength and overall size first. Worrying about whether the front, middle or posterior deltoid heads are being worked with and exercise or whether a tricep pushdown will hit the long, lateral or medial tricep heads is kind of unimportant right now for you. If I am wrong and you have a 140kg bench and are a big behemoth then I apologise go right ahead and work out what you need to do to hit your individual muscles more.

sorry just another question,

in the same workout i do tri's aswell, i do dips, tricep rope, underhand pulldowns.

Should i swapout the tricep rope for push downs (do both those cable exercises work the inner head?)

I'm not sure how big your arms are Shank, but if not so big, then I'd forget about inner, outter, middle this or that and simply concentrate on building the beef!

Fadi.

Go check out the sticky thread called Beginners look here by Fadi. It has some good routines for you to choose from. Pick one you like and do it for 12 weeks, eat a lot, check every 2 weeks to see if you are growing, if not add more calories if yes stay on same calories. Do this for the 12 weeks and then do it again. You can gain A LOT of size and strength in 6 months just do not think you are going to be super huge though but you will really see the difference if you are eating enough.

Thanks fadi, have some suggestions on doing that? lol

1. Seated d/bell french curls
2. E-Z bar lying close grip bench press
3. Dips betwen two benches (with weights placed on quads for added intensity)
4. Push ups with a back pack loaded with weights (for added intensity)

Enough for now...

Fadi.

Have a look at Fadi's or PTC's programs (first post of thread). You do that workout 3 days a week following their instructions. Make sure you are progressing every week, Fadi's increase reps then weight, PTC's does weight. EAT, EAT and EAT some more and you will be on your way to some serious size and strength.

Hmm ok thanks food for thought.

Sorry just one more question, is there any way to squat without a squat rack, as i do train at home some days.