• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dan Green article

Darkoz doesn't think that only low reps will build muscle very well, despite literally hundreds of weightlifters with completely ripped quads, shoulders and traps as evidence to the contrary. Apparently you can be 5'10" 77kg and shredded, stick 379kg over your head in two lifts and not be jacked- simply because you didn't do more than 5 reps, a completely arbitrary round number (xiaojun). A decent part of Science and Practice of Strength Training will corroborate this, as will just about every strength athlete on earth

My guess is that might be the core of his training, but that is not ALL he has done. Other elements, gpp for example, have helped him get so ripped and shredded.

Anyone who claims to know a magic training method is indeed a know all.

There are many ways to train, light, heavy, fast reps, and so on.

But if you are a Neanderthal, and thinking and learning is not your thing, then train heavy and have long rests. Can't really go wrong then.

But for those who have been around and know heavy weights and low reps can be overrated for many individuals, read the following.

http://www.yourhpservices.com/blog/2012/01/classic-article-alexeevs-training/

I am sure there will be the same arguments in 50 years time, and there will still be many strength athletes that train many different ways.

Last edited:
You're basing this on what?

Common sense. And the special I saw on Chinese lifters where it showed them training.

Maybe he is a special case. Ffs one of the best built guys on my gridiron team, dude had quads, pecs and abs most body builders and 99% of this forum would die for, never even lifted weights at all - so anything is possible.

The Chinese lifters did tons of prehab, rehab and gpp work outside of lifting. They didn't just waltz in lift and go home. I would assume if he wanted to be the best he'd do something similar.

Common sense. And the special I saw on Chinese lifters where it showed them training.

Maybe he is a special case. Ffs one of the best built guys on my gridiron team, dude had quads, pecs and abs most body builders and 99% of this forum would die for, never even lifted weights at all - so anything is possible.

The Chinese lifters did tons of prehab, rehab and gpp work outside of lifting. They didn't just waltz in lift and go home. I would assume if he wanted to be the best he'd do something similar.

What is the most likely explanation? The well documented heavy training they do or the "morning exercises" consisting of lateral raises, push-ups, TRX bands and jogging?

https://www.facebook.com/events/378808062230451

Dan Green Facebook Event

The Dan Green seminar will be held on Friday the 14th of June 2013.

It will commence straight after the Womens lifting.

Estimated time 9pm (depending on time the women finish up).

Running time: 90-120 minutes

Cost will be $50 per ticket.

To purchase your ticket, deposit $50 into:

NAB
BSB 083363
ACC 155850448

Please include your full name.

Ticket confirmation will be made once payment approves.

If this is video taped, I will be buying the video as will other people
Please don't let me down!

What is the most likely explanation? The well documented heavy training they do or the "morning exercises" consisting of lateral raises, push-ups, TRX bands and jogging?

Your carrying on like all he does is a few snatches.

Usually when they do a Clean they then do front squats. And when they do some form of snatch they do olympic squats. When they do a clean and jerk they combine in presses. Sounds a hell of a lot like they are working in basic bodybuilding and strength training.

In reality, the blokes do loads of front squats, olympic squats, presses and a ton of other shit.

Add in some gpp to lean them up and you have a pretty impressive physique.

Yes, but the reps are low.
Darkoz was asserting that the low reps couldn't possibly build muscle and I said otherwise
Keep up

Your carrying on like all he does is a few snatches.

Usually when they do a Clean they then do front squats. And when they do some form of snatch they do olympic squats. When they do a clean and jerk they combine in presses. Sounds a hell of a lot like they are working in basic bodybuilding and strength training.

In reality, the blokes do loads of front squats, olympic squats, presses and a ton of other shit.

Add in some gpp to lean them up and you have a pretty impressive physique.

What Oni said. It was being implied that low reps can't build muscle. They can and do.

No one is saying o lifters do low volume. Lol.

The Olympic lifter training samples I have seen mostly dont involve a ton of other shit like you say. Olympic lifters are usually big on being very specific with their training. The comp lifts and a couple slight variations along with squats make up most of the training.

Also gpp training doesn't lean you up, diet does.

What Oni said. It was being implied that low reps can't build muscle.

Also gpp training doesn't lean you up, diet does.

My point is that their physiques come from doing reps, just like a bodybuilder. In doing their cleans they may at times do 50-100+ reps of front squats. which builds the physique in the picture.

Gpp training can definitely help get a person lean.

Muscles are built with volume
Darkoz is asserting that the only way is to do more than 5 reps a set
I am asserting that you can can do however many reps per set you wish as long as the volume is high

Why is this so difficult? Man I am genuinely rustled

I am asserting that you can can do however many reps per set you wish as long as the volume is high

Just to keep things in perspective and for accuracy Oni, this is what I said specifically referring to the pic you posted earlier in the thread.......

Not really sure what that's supposed to prove but I can guarantee you he didn't get like that by only doing 2 or 3 rep sets and resting 5 min between sets.

I agree that shortening rest periods would make hypertophy more likely to happen or in larger amounts. Olympic weightlifters often only rest 60-90 seconds between sets. What's equally confusing though is that rest periods were never mentioned and in my own training I typically just take a drink, re wrap my wrists and go again

I saw a vid from Bill Kazamaier earlier where he was talking about lots of shoulder laterals after benching (cause your triceps are smashed)... short breaks between sets and make your shoulders scream and they will grow.

First time you have included volume in your argument. Now if you include something about load, your statement will make sense. Unless you are suggesting I can do low reps with high volume and low load?

Weight lifters do all sorts of shit, with many different training styles and methods. Put your hand up if you have actually been in an Olympic lifting gym, leave it down if you have just read about it online...

Last edited:
First time you have included volume in your argument. Now if you include something about load, your statement will make sense. Unless you are suggesting I can do low reps with high volume and low load?

Weight lifters do all sorts of shit, with many different training styles and methods. Put your hand up if you have actually been in an Olympic lifting gym, leave it down if you have just read about it online...

No it isn't, I also mentioned using a high percentage of 1RM several times

He just mentions volume is important and high reps are his preferred way of getting volume in. You can't take this and deduce that low reps are not good for building muscle. My previous training hasn't been anywhere near enough volume and with largely long rest periods. What I'm doing now is +85% of 1RM for as many reps as possible in a certain time frame averaging around 1 rep per minute which is a lot more work than I was doing previously and more work than say, 5x10x50%. Time will tell anyway, it's pointless speculating and doing so is nothing more than a waste of both our time

I missed the part where the original article or the one i posted had anything to do with olympic lifting.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone said the original article or the one you posted had anything to do with Olympic lifting, it's just where the conversation has headed