• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critique my workout design please

merlin6014

Hey guys after a critique or suggestions on my bodybuilding workout I designed below. I am after hypertrophy gains after coming off Starting Strength.

Sunday Wk 1
Biceps/Triceps/Abs (60-90secs rest between sets)
Dips 4 x 9
BB Curls 4 x 9
Tricep Cable Pulldowns 4 x 9
Hammer Curls 4 x 9
Cross Body Crunch 4 x 15
Hanging Leg Raise 4 x 15

Tuesday Wk 1
Back/Traps + Forearms (60-90secs rest between sets)
Pullups 5 x 5
Standard BB Deadlift 5 x 5
Standing DB Upright Row 4 x 9
Hyperextensions 4 x 9
BB Shrugs 4 x 9
BB Sup/Pro Wrist Curls 4 x 9

Thursday Wk 1 (60-90secs rest between sets)
Chest/Shoulders
BB Bench Press 4 x 9
BB Military Press 4 x 9
DB Flies 4 x 9
Arnold DB Press 4 x 9
BB Incline Bench Press 4 x 9
Reverse DB Flies (lying, incline) 4 x 9

Saturday Wk 1
Quads/Hams + Calves (60-90secs rest between sets)
BB Squats 4 x 9
BB Good Mornings 4 x 9
BB Lunges 4 x 9
Lying Leg Curls 4 x 9
Seated Leg Extensions 4 x 9
BB Calf Raise 5 x 10

Every third workout for that muscle group above is done at reps of 5 instead of 9 to build strength.

Last edited:
If you've just done Starting Strength I would recommend an upper/lower split based on what most people seem to say. Some variant of push/pull is also good but I don't like them :shiftyeyes:

Didn't really think much of the routine, if I posted it people here would laugh at me lol
This routine is an upper/lower split where you can work on strength and hypertrophy at the same time, instead of having to cycle it and is perfect for the intermediate. The assistance is based on WS4SB

Day 1:
Squat: Work up to 5RM
One Legged Leg Press: 2-3x8-12
Romanian Deadlift: 3x8-15
Pulldown Abs: 4x10-15
Calves: 3x10-12

Day 2:
Bench Press: Work up to 5RM
Chin-ups: 3-4x8-12
Face-Pulls: 3-4x12-15
DB Incline Bench: 4x8-12
Cable Curls: 3x8-10
Shrugs: 3x12-20

Day 3:
Deadlift: Work up to 5RM
One Legged Leg Press: 3x6-12
Good Morning: 3x8-12
Pulldown Abs: 4x10-15
Calves: 3x10-12

Day 4:
Incline Press: Work up to 5RM
Dumbbell Bench: 2x15-20
Rows: 3-4x8-12
Rear Delt Flies: 3-4x10-20
Shrugs: 3-4x8-15
Cable Curls: 3-4x8-15

Tues/Thurs/Sat look fine. However, Sunday is a problem. Get rid of it & find something more contructive to do. I would suggest some conditioning and pylo drills or some mobility work.

Thanks for the tips so far. WS4SB looks intriguing but I made some changes to my own first which are now showing below. I decided to add in 3 compound lifts at lowish reps each lift day to continue to build strength followed by 3 isolation exercises at higher reps to build up some size. Each body part is hit directly twice a week on different days. BTW I weigh everything I eat and record macros ect. down to the nearest calorie (yes obsessive compulsive). IB "Shut up and lift" :p

Tuesday
Rest______ Exercise
2-3mins Squat 3 x 6
2-3mins Bench Press 3 x 6
2-3mins Military Press 3 x 6
60-90 secs DB Flies 4 x 9
60-90 secs Seated Leg Curls 4 x 9
60-90secs Dips 4 x 9

Thursday
Rest______Exercise
2-3mins Deadlift 3 x 6
2-3mins Wide Grip Pullups 3 x 6
2-3mins BB Rows 3 x 6
60-90 secs Standing DB Upright Row 4 x 9
60-90 secs Sup/Pro Wrist Curls 4 x 9
60-90 secs BB Curls 4 x 9

Saturday
Rest_______ Exercise
2-3mins Squat 3 x 6
2-3mins Bench Press 3 x 6
2-3mins Military Press 3 x 6
60-90 secs DB Flies 4 x 9
60-90 secs Good Mornings 4 x 9
60-90 secs Arnold DB Press 4 x 9

Sunday
Rest______ Exercise
2-3mins Chins 3 x 6
2-3mins Lat Pulldown 3 x 6
2-3mins BB Rows 3 x 6
60-90 secs BB Curls 4 x 9
60-90 secs Tricep BB Skullcrushers 4 x 9
60-90secs Standing DB Upright Row 4 x 9

Last edited:
I just think you'd be better off sticking to templates that strength and conditioning coaches have made. I dunno why you thought the strength work in WS4SB wasn't enough tbh

Why are you walking past the wheel on your way to reinvent it? Ht alas the scientist PB wants to sit back and see how you go with this. Do a proper experiment. As good as we can anyway. Commit to doing your 'split' for at least 32 weeks (6 months), then we'll asses the findings.

I dunno why you thought the strength work in WS4SB wasn't enough tbh

i dowloaded the ws4sb pdf and my concerns are there is zero bb military press (my biggest weakness which i would like to do twice a week) and you only squat once a week. is there a reasoning behind this? Apart from that it looks pretty fun and tempting.

why not do the starting strength program then. it has military press and you do squats in every workout.

i dowloaded the ws4sb pdf and my concerns are there is zero bb military press (my biggest weakness which i would like to do twice a week) and you only squat once a week. is there a reasoning behind this? Apart from that it looks pretty fun and tempting.

The routine I posted above has the best of both worlds. There is a day dedicated to strength work for each lift and then you go into the WS4SB assistance

Then add some BBMP.

Everyone is looking for a cookie cutter program, when at the end of the day you have to do your own experiments and test results against them.

Are you a beginner? Or are you an intermediate/advanced lifter?

If you are a beginner stick with the compound stuff multiple times a week. Though even if you have the most fucked up shit routine in the world, as long as you are consistent with it, put in 100% and are always raising the weights and hence getting progress/results then who are we to judge?