• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critique My Program

ironlion

Hi All,
Looking for some feedback on my program.
I'm a 32 year old male, 178cm tall. I'm a former cyclist and at August 1, 2012 I weighed 65kg's, carrying 9% body fat. After quitting I decided to try and get back to a "normal" weight and I took up crossfit on the recommendation of a friend. By new years and managed to get up to 72kg's at around 10% body fat. I decided crossfit wasn't for me long term, but I'm enjoying growing so I switched to just "lifting weights" and followed Starting Strength for 5 months. Today (June 3, 2013) I weigh 78kg's and am now carrying 12-13% body fat. I've taken SS as far as it will go but I am still shy of my goal which is to get to 85kg's maintaining the same level of body fat. As my legs are already pretty ripped and strong from years of cycling I just want to maintain their size/strength and focus on growing the upper body.
So I've done some reading and put together the following program:

3 days on, 1 day off "Push/Legs/Pull" split.

Push:
Bench Press 3x8-12
Dips 3x8-12
Overhead dumbell press 3x8-12
Lateral raise 3x8-12
Tricep pulldowns 3x8-12

Legs:
Back Squat/Front Squat (Alternating) 3x5
Lunges: 3x8-12 (each side)
Deadlift 1x8-12

Pull:
Pullup: 3x8-12
Prone Row: 3x8-12
Upright row: 3x8-12
Bicep Curl: 3x8-12

Nutrition is well and truly sorted, I've seen a sports dietician who worked at the AIS and currently with AFL teams and I am eating right down to the calorie, including supplementation.

I'm really just after people's thoughts on my choice of exercises, the order in which I do them, number of sets, reps etc. Also one thing that I have no idea about his how/when to increase weights. Should I try to go up weekly? Monthly? Should I be ramping up the weight to one heavier working set or continue with sets accross as I did with starting strength?

Any advice much appreciated :D
IronLion.

I quite like push /pull / legs splits

If it where me Id do push pull twice a week...

Mon - push pull
Thurs - push pull
Saturday- legs

Each to there own though...

Question?

What supplements has the dietician got you on?

I work out in the morning, first thing. This is so I can take in adequate calories through the day.

Supplements-wise:
Pre-workout (on waking up): 25g WPI, 50g "fast carbs" (Waxy Maize), BCAA's
Post-workout: As above
Mid-morning: 25g Casein
Before Bed: 25g Casein + added L-Leucine

I mix all shakes with pureharvest oat milk. Very quick and easy to digest, very clean.

Your thoughts on my program?

I quite like push /pull / legs splits

If it where me Id do push pull twice a week...

Mon - push pull
Thurs - push pull
Saturday- legs

Each to there own though...

Well, it kind of ends up as about twice a week for each as it is. I hit the same exercises once every 4 days (i.e. 3 days in between each workout). 72 hours I feel is optimal for my recovery.

Well, it kind of ends up as about twice a week for each as it is. I hit the same exercises once every 4 days (i.e. 3 days in between each workout). 72 hours I feel is optimal for my recovery.

I would look to lower reps heavier weights on the first exercise on push and pull..

Bench id use 5x5 just for barbell bench press and then use the higher reps you have put down for assistance work...

For pull days I'd try and find something you can load more weight into for the first exercise...

Weighted pull ups or bent over rows 5x5...

Keep using linear progression...deload and repeat...

All imo of course...

looks good. I'd swap deadlift for SLDL and do 3 sets though. You can keep progression as per SS or try increasing reps weekly between 8-12 then increase weight and start again.