• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critique my diet please

Musky

Hi guys,
I've been going to gym for quite a number of years now without taking things too serious until a year or so ago. I've added a couple of kilos but am looking to add a few more and lean up a little.
About a month ago i started eating a little better, adding more food to my diet, but im quite time poor and i use alot of energy as i work as a tradesman and between the hours of 5.30 to 3 ish we really only stop once for a smoko break, which is where i need some help and guidance especially with my meal #2 and #4.
I need quick snacks as i dont have time to sit and eat, so i've found some homemade protein bars which have oats, PB, whey and cottage cheese. Each bar has roughly 245cal, 27g protein, 8g fat and 25g carbs.

What are peoples thoughts on weight gainers? I would consider using one but i am also a diabetic and the overuse of maltodextrin has me concerned.

I workout Mon Wed and Fri.

Ok, so rundown of day/diet:
5.30 wake up.
Meal one -
1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 scoop protein
2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites
Creatine
Beta alanine
BCAA
Multi V

8 - 8.30
Meal 2 -
Homemade protein bar

9.30 -10
Meal 3 -
1 cup brown rice
220g Chicken breast
Handful of cashews
Satay sauce

Meal 4 -
Homemade protein bar

2-3
PreWO -
Creatine
Beta Alanine
Glutamine
BCAA

3.30 - 4.30
PostWO
Creatine
Glutamine
Beta Alanine
1 scoop whey
1 scoop casein

6ish
Meal 5 -
Varies, get cooked a different dinner every night, usually good clean meals.

9ish
Meal 6 -
PB on rice cakes
1 scoop of casein

Does this sound like an ok meal plan? I'm 83kgs and 5'10.
Does anyone have/use any quick snacks that i could make as an alternative to the bars?

Thankyou very much :)

Do not worry about the malto you don't need it! I would decide what you'd like to do: gain lean mass (with as little far as possible) or maintain lean mass and strip body fat.

I would not worry about weight gainers at all. Just concentrate on getting the right calories from the right sources. At 5'10 and 83kg (what body fat?) you could probably gain a few additional kg of LBM and look quite filled out!

Cheers

Can't really comment on that diet unless you give some specifics - I.E macro balance, total calorie intake etc.

Also is there any particular reason you are eating so frequently? IS that the best fit for your lifestyle and schedule as metabolically it offers no extra benefit over a lower meal frequency...But we need some number to work with and what are your current goals etc

Sorry for the vagueness, i had the numbers written down and couldnt find them. But i calculated it all again and the macros for the meal plan above (not including dinner) are. Carb - 280g , Protein - 280g, Fat - 43g and about 2700 calories. I dont really have a reason for the meal frequency, just that i've been informed to eat 6 times a day.
Minchia, my goals are to gain lean mass with as little fat as possible. And im not too sure on body fat, it wouldnt be too bad as im a sporty person, and speaking of that i forgot to mention i actually go to the gym mon,tues,wed and fri, play indoor soccer mon nights, train for outdoor soccer thurs night and play soccer on sat arvos. So i do expend alot of energy which is why im thinking i need to eat more?

Sorry for the vagueness, i had the numbers written down and couldnt find them. But i calculated it all again and the macros for the meal plan above (not including dinner) are. Carb - 280g , Protein - 280g, Fat - 43g and about 2700 calories. I dont really have a reason for the meal frequency, just that i've been informed to eat 6 times a day.
Minchia, my goals are to gain lean mass with as little fat as possible. And im not too sure on body fat, it wouldnt be too bad as im a sporty person, and speaking of that i forgot to mention i actually go to the gym mon,tues,wed and fri, play indoor soccer mon nights, train for outdoor soccer thurs night and play soccer on sat arvos. So i do expend alot of energy which is why im thinking i need to eat more?
First problem, your dinner calories not being counted, could mean they are any where from 300 to 1500 so that will make a massive difference...

Yeh i realise that with the dinner, its just hard cuz most of the time its made for me. Its all good food, nothing rubbish, but calorie wise i'd say no more than 400, which is very vague again i know.

That was what i was thinking too dave, but this is why i came to you guys as i dont have much time at all to eat during the day. So do i just load up on the food at the times i can?

Yeh i realise that with the dinner, its just hard cuz most of the time its made for me. Its all good food, nothing rubbish, but calorie wise i'd say no more than 400, which is very vague again i know.

That was what i was thinking too dave, but this is why i came to you guys as i dont have much time at all to eat during the day. So do i just load up on the food at the times i can?

Chances are what you ''think it might'' be tends to not actually be the case and saying it is all ''good food'' really doesn't mean much nor help :)

With that said, how long have you been following your current intake?

PS just because you've been told (by some bro of course) you need to eat 6 times a day doesn't actually make your nutritional any better or superior etc ;)

Haha of course it was by some bro, of whom bench presses 300kg too.

I've been on this intake for about a month now.

Haha of course it was by some bro, of whom bench presses 300kg too.

I've been on this intake for about a month now.
So he ''benches'' 300kg..doesn't mean he knows nor understands human physiology or nutritional science..but that has been gone over a 100 times..strength doesn't = having a brain...

Clearly if you have been on that sort of caloric intake for a month and your progress has stopped you need to get the calorie intake appropriate and macro balance in order..chances are if you are not gaining you need to up your calories which I'd suggest you look at doing by 200 cals a day..again it is hard because there is 1 whole meal that you have no idea how much you are consuming, so start off with that little increase..

Max has already covered it, but I'll add that I think it doesn't really matter what you are eating or how much you are eating per se, it's just whether you can be consistent enough so that you can track the change in your body in response to that food. If you are doing that, then I would say your diet is good ;)

Just to give you an example, I have the same gigantic breakfast shake and snacks each day (pb on ricecakes, tuna, shake). I only change my lunch and dinner (mainly to be flexible for the wifey), but I roughly have a "portion" of meat (30g protein), vegies (unlimited), carbs (30-40g carbs) & fats (15g) at those meals. That way when I finally stall (as I'm currently very slowly bulking from 78.5 to 80.5 so far) in gaining weight, I know hey I can just add in say an extra shake or couple of bananas throughout my day or increase the amount of peanut butter.