• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Creatine?

willyboy

I've been suggested by a friend to take creatine as it helps in muscle recovery. Is it worth trying? Also I read somewhere about creatine cycling, what exactly is this and how are you supposed to take it? I was thinking of just adding it to my WPI shake, is that ok?

Out of all the supps, besides protein, Creatine is the best bang for buck - it's cheap and has years of research to back it and works. Don't expect miracles from it though, you may notice a slight increase in strength and some people retain a bit of water from it's use.

Creatine Monohydrate will do the job. The others are more expensive and are SAID to be better when it comes to absorption rates etc.

Creatine is best taken with a carb source, I personally take it with Dextrose post workout in my shake. Thats probably the best time to take it with dextrose as the insulin spike will take the creatine straight to your muscles and replenish levels.

Typical dose is 3-5grams per day, some people "load" it for the first week by increase the dosage, it varies but 10grams usually split over twice throughout the day as it is said to load the muscles up with creatine and from the end of that week onwards the typical 3-5grams a dose is taken once a day to keep levels stable. Some people run it for around 8 weeks and discontinue use for a bit, say 4 weeks, then start an 8 week cycle. Loading/Cycling is optional, some people claim it's a must, others run it at 3-5grams daily and never come off it it's all down to personal choice. I personally load for the first week and run it for around 8 weeks.

Last edited:
When I use it i'll just have 5g pre and post workout. Dont load it and I dont really cycle it.

alright cool so can i just add creatine and dextrose to my protein shake for my postworkout? How much dextrose would i use?
also you say you take creatine for you preworkout as well, what do you take it with? just water and dextrose or just water?

Pre-workout I just take it with water. Post workout in ya protein shake with your dextrose - when I used to take dextrose Id have about 50-60g.

I'm with both Joel and Staunch...creatine is definitely worth it. On a bit f a tangent, I have however had a shake containing about 3-5g creatine, 30g of dextrose, 15g powerade, 3-5g glutamine and some BCAA's during my workouts (sipped on it) and found this to really help my gains....a little recipe I got from Jay Cutler in my competing days when I met him at the Nationals guest posing...

Yeah sound advice. I usually take 5g pre workout, occasionally post. I mix it in with my pre workout drink. Rarely use dextrose and the like. Standard mono gets the job done for me, CEE isn't as strongly backed by scientific evidence.

Look up 'home made Celltech' thats what Bioflex was talking about, creatine with the powerade and bcaa's...

Might give it a whirl during summer

I have started taking creatine, I just have about 3-5 grammes before my workout, I generally just eat it (not mixed in anything), it does not taste bad, and I generally wash it down with a few mouth fulls (100ml or so) of juice followed by some water.

I also have the same again after work out, generally washed down with about 200-400ml of water followed by my after workout protein shake.

I don't like mixing it into anything as I believe some of it will get 'lost' in the shake (stuck to the walls of the shaker or left in the bottom of the shaker), if I scoop in straight into my mouth I know where it went:p

More great info, I am on a steep learning curve here:)

I have been using Cranberry Juice, as that's what the missus drinks and it's sitting in the fridge, I am not that keen on it to be honest, but figured it will give me some fructose/sugar to assist in the take up of the creatine.

Grape juice is my favorite juice, so that won't be a problem, I generally do not buy it as I been trying to drink water, might get some and use 100ml or so to wash my per workout creatine down then.

thanks for the all the responses everyone, i think for now i'm going to start with taking it post workout by adding with dextrose monohydrate to my WPI shake

Look up 'home made Celltech' thats what Bioflex was talking about, creatine with the powerade and bcaa's...

Might give it a whirl during summer

We like to call it home made Bioflex ;) Good call mate...

You can use Recover X too but didn't want to be spruiking us too hard or you all will get sick of me :D Good discussion all!