• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Correct amount of calories to cover my training needs?

NJA82

Hi guys,

For the past few months i have been sticking to around 3500 calories per day while doing only the PTC beginner program 3 times a week, my lifts have gone up very well in that time and so has my body weight.

I dont really care to much for the scales but i use the mirror as my judge of body fat level, i can notice a visible increase in body fat at the moment from around a month ago. This doesnt concern me to much as i know having a little bit of fat is going to be normal while you are growing BUT i dont want to let it get to out of hand. I eat only good carbs such as brown rice and oats etc. very minimal sugar so i have gained off a clean diet of 3500 calories a day.

I will be starting up running again as i am going in the ADF and it is a requirement, i had to take some time of due to really bad MTSS. I will be doing the PTC beginner program 3x a week and running in between twice a week, maybe the odd kettlebell complex session here and there also for some HIIT cardio. Current bodyweight is 87kg, lifts are in my signature and are pretty much around the same now as they were at 84-85kg.

Is 3500 calories a day ( around 300-350g protein ) to much? enough? or to little for the above activity level? I pondered on going to a strict 2500 cal a day diet to cut a few kg for a month or 2 but i feel that im not really big enough to be worried about cutting just yet.

Obviously i can just try changing the calorie level around and see how i go in time but if anyone has any input or similar situations training and weight wise to share its not going to hurt...

Hard to say when we're talking about including incidental activity. If you're gaining too quick, you're probably eating too much. If your diet is good, can't point the finger at that. It's a simple case of eating too many calories. If you want a scientific equation, try the schofield equation. Remember it's not fool proof and there's always a margin of error when using equations. I wouldn't be too concerned with a perfect caloric intake unless you're competing in a BB comp.

Anyhow, as you've mentioned, you're going to gain a little unwanted body fat when gaining strength and size. How much you gain is how many calories you're eating.

The most ludicrous shit i've seen in my many years of training is guys eating 1000-1500 over what they're meant too, gain too much, then cut calories way too hard when trying to lean out.

It comes down to goals, are yours clear cut and defined? Do you want strength and size no matter what? If so, 3000-3500 is probably the way to go. If you want to lean out, you'll have to drop them and stick with lean meats and vegies.

My plan of attack would be:

Gain as much strength and size as I wanted (and was happy with), eating clean and not stressing too much about carrying a little extra. Then work through a phase after that (still lifting heavy) of dropping the caloric intake if you wanted to lean out a little.

Gaining strength/size and leaning out simultaneously are quite a juxtaposition, and usually only occur in beginners. So I guess to reiterate.. what are your top priorities training wise at the moment?

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited:
Thanks for the very well written post mate!

My immediate goals at this point in time would be strength and cardio fitness, Im quite patient though i dont want to doing my long term goals tomorrow but for now to be able to deadlift 200kg, bench over 100kg, squat around 150-160kg would be some realistic short term goals, all while being able to efficiently be able to run 5km`s in under 24mins.

Your advice is pretty much the exact scenario i was following in regards to eating clean and carrying a bit of fat until i reached my long term goals. I just dont want to not eat enough and not progress or eat to much and end up with 3 months of solid cutting required to get back down to 15% body fat, to much cutting can never be a good thing for keeping lean mass, would always lose some of it in the cutting phase.

Long term goals are definitely clear cut and defined, double BW squat, 1.5x BW bench press, BW MP press, and 2.5x BW deadlift, anywhere between 85 and 90kg bodyweight and around 10% bodyfat and i would be pretty bloody stoked!