• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Compound exercises

Bodybuilding is bodybuilding- bodybuilding includes deads squats bench ect so does power lifting its the rep range that changes it from BB to PL...

Back on subject there is such thing as isolation but u would probably refer to them more as single joint movements..

I read an article a while ago about a guy holding a barbell on a horizontal leg press coz he maxed out weight and coz he's holding it and legs are working at same time he turns it into a compound exercise.

Compounds
Hack squat (barbell)
Zercher squat
Floor press
Milatery press
Barbell pull over

There are hundreds of variations.

Bodybuilding is bodybuilding- bodybuilding includes deads squats bench ect so does power lifting its the rep range that changes it from BB to PL... ....

There are many more differences than just rep range, the style of lifting is completely different.
Here are a few...
Time under tension
Frequency
Intensity
Rest between sets
Volume
Speed (cadence)
Type of exercise
Number of exercises
Technique

Last edited:
There are many more differences that just rep range, the style of lifting is completely different.
Here are a few...
Time under tension
Frequency
Intensity
Rest between sets
Volume
Speed (cadence)
Type of exercise
Number of exercises
Technique

And this is exactly what we need in this forum. More of this and less of the other fluff.

How about a thread on the best way to put together a bobybuilding workout with everything you have written above.

I'm a bit over fat guys saying that we should all just try and lift bigger when the majority of people who come to this site simply want to look better, lose the gut, love handles etc. They want a bodybuilding program or a step by step way to get to that program.

There are many more differences than just rep range, the style of lifting is completely different.
Here are a few...
Time under tension
Frequency
Intensity
Rest between sets
Volume
Speed (cadence)
Type of exercise
Number of exercises
Technique

Yea I just wanted to keep it simple but thanks lol

And this is exactly what we need in this forum. More of this and less of the other fluff.

How about a thread on the best way to put together a bobybuilding workout with everything you have written above.

I'm a bit over fat guys saying that we should all just try and lift bigger when the majority of people who come to this site simply want to look better, lose the gut, love handles etc. They want a bodybuilding program or a step by step way to get to that program.

Needs to concentrate more on diet and less on programming then....

Eat to your goal and lift weight regularly...

Incidently where are the fat guys saying we should all lift bigger?

I believe that progression is directly related to the amount of muscle growth.

Interesting Ryan - I've always read that its close grip uprights that can cause shoulders issues. That and the close grip works traps more than shoulders. Maybe it just depends on your body mechanics.

More often than not this movement will create problems.

Pressing gives one more option in relation to the angle of the arm and restricting movement.

Bodybiulders can benefit training like power lifters now and again and power lifters will benefit training like body builders.

For a bodybiulder I do not see a benefit performing a given exercise using a rep range under 5.

What Darkoz has written are the fundamentals to proper exercise.

Ultimately Proper nutrition contributes to 80%

Bodybiulders can benefit training like power lifters now and again and power lifters will benefit training like body builders.

For a bodybiulder I do not see a benefit performing a given exercise using a rep range under 5.

This ^^^ I agree with!!!!

I like the way you think!!!

How do you guys think powerlifters benefit from training like bodybuilders? Genuinely interested.

How do you guys think powerlifters benefit from training like bodybuilders? Genuinely interested.

That's easy....

Assistance work...

Have a look at 5 3 1.... Starts with the big lift at low reps.... Then crosses over to hypertrophy style training for assistance...

I dont think PL benefit much from training like a Bodybuilder except for maybe accessory work, but i do think a Bodybuilding benefits more from training like a Powerlifter from time to time.

PPP as another example entails assistance work the same...

The 3x10 work forms as a key part of successfully progressing the heavy lifts...

I'm finding that more and more Nazzy which was one of the reasons I asked.

Doing PPP and 10x3x2 (2 exercises, 3 sets each, 10 reps) and its driving up my mains.

Would I benefit doing them with bodybuilding techniques? Certain lifting tempo, Time under tension focus, etc. ... I wonder.

It's manifold.
Using the key requirements listed by darkoz and performing exercises other than the three used in competition as an adjunct to exclusive training and adopting a diet focused on maintaining a low % of body fat.

The closer one gets to comp, the more one concentrates on the three lifts in comp conditions.

But, proper exercise maintains and builds strength which in turn improves condition and movement around the joint.
Helping the trainees lifting career

More often than not this movement will create problems.

Pressing gives one more option in relation to the angle of the arm and restricting movement.

I will explain myself. Some time ago I worked my way up to 60kg OHP. I noobed up the racking of the weight and took the load on my right wrist. Since then it just hasn't been the greatest. It was good enougg for ages, but then I fell on it two weeks in a row at indoor soccer in Oct/Nov last year. Tried lateral raises again and 7.5kg was far too light. Moved to 9kg and my wrist didn't appreciate.

So I was trying to do wide upright rows to emulate the movement of a lateral raise. However, it is a funny exercise on the shoulders. So it doesn't leave me with many options besides doing 2 types of pressing or just staying at the same weight on lat raises or doing lat raises with my palms perpendicular to the floor at the top of the movement.

Anyway /endthreadhijack

We are all brothers of iron !!!

I believe that progression is directly related to the amount of muscle growth.

Interesting Ryan - I've always read that its close grip uprights that can cause shoulders issues. That and the close grip works traps more than shoulders. Maybe it just depends on your body mechanics.
Both close and wide grip have pros and cons and their own unique risk factors, as do all strength exercises. The most common issue that seems to be of a concern for upright rows (at least based on what I've read and heard) is shoulder impingement. Solution? Don't impinge your shoulders.