• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Compact/cheap Equipment to safely squat/bench

jj80

Hi, I'm after some equipment to safely squat and bench, as the title suggests. In an ideal world I'd simply buy a power rack but my ceilings are quite low. The room I can use is a bit small for a full 7" bar so that rules out olympic size squat racks. I'm a fairly big guy who's started working out recently and I've just thrown out a bench press cause I didn't think I'd bench over 100kg.... I got there fairly quickly and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I'm considering the following:

Free standing Squat Stand - Force USA
(Nice but only 150kg...)

SST2 Adjustable Width Squat Barbell Rack with Dip handles
(What is the weight rating of this one?)

2nd hand bench and something like these - JUMBO HOOKS

Trying to make my own:
Homemade Strength: Saw Horse Safety Stands

Things like these are nice but look are too big (they require a 7" bar too):
Strength Equipment PPF-0422 Squat Rack

Ordering these-
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TF66NG?ie=UTF8&tag=squatrack-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000TF66NG]Amazon.com: Safety Stands: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated! The last ones look the best for me at the moment, but I'd have to think of something else for squatting.

If you can hold off for a while I can get you a price for a Melbourne made combination rack (the same as they use in IPF competition)

It'll be more than what you've listed but 100 x as awesome

Would they allow the use of a 6" bar or smaller? I don't have room for an olympic size barbell. Also, the mobile squat stands can be easily disassembled for storage if someone else wants to use the area I'm planning on using (I live with a few people) - I google image searched the sort of thing you mentioned and they look like full size olympic single piece squat rack / bench presses. I don't even have room for a single olympic size squat rack. :(

eleiko racks that PA use have a "racks in" ability so you should be able to fit a smaller bar in one, id imagine these racks grah is talking about would have the same capabilities...

grah, so long as these racks arnt going to cost me like 2/3k and are solid i might be interested

I had a similar issue with ceiling height, got a squat rack/stand combo. One I found did 250kg no worries. I think it was from fitness xpress. Not sure if they do the stuff these days!

eleiko racks that PA use have a "racks in" ability so you should be able to fit a smaller bar in one, id imagine these racks grah is talking about would have the same capabilities...

grah, so long as these racks arnt going to cost me like 2/3k and are solid i might be interested

You will be able to get it customised so if you have a shorter bar or whatever just tell him that

Cal, these won't be through IE - the guy that made the mono's (and is doing Port's new dip station). Apparently he's basically sold about a dozen already lol
Dunno about price yet, think he's going to make one then work it out from there

You will be able to get it customised so if you have a shorter bar or whatever just tell him that

Cal, these won't be through IE - the guy that made the mono's (and is doing Port's new dip station). Apparently he's basically sold about a dozen already lol
Dunno about price yet, think he's going to make one then work it out from there
oh yeah well if its through him id imagine they would be pretty good :) lets hope they dont cost too much...

i think an eleiko rack is overkill for a home gym.... maybe.... nah :p

Real need for a quality half-rack in Australia. In the US could get an EFTS one shipped for 1k.

Squat stands with good spotters arms might be your best bet. Not ideal but space saving.

oh yeah well if its through him id imagine they would be pretty good :) lets hope they dont cost too much...

i think an eleiko rack is overkill for a home gym.... maybe.... nah :p

Well the Texas strength mono is 2800 and their combo rack 1100
The amfx mono is 3500 so going off that maybe 1600 for combo rack?

Well the Texas strength mono is 2800 and their combo rack 1100
The amfx mono is 3500 so going off that maybe 1600 for combo rack?
yeah spoke to minh about the texas racks and he said they are shit.... but he probably just wants me to get an eleiko from him

lol seedy azn

binaryimage.asp

$225 from Gymdirect.com.au

Pretty sure I've seen them used at Shire speed and strength.

BODYWORX ADJUSTABLE SQUAT RACK L415SR - BODYWORX ADJUSTABLE SQUAT RACK WITH DIP STAND L415SR

Cheap, accomodates a 6' bar, 270kg capacity

Sturdiest looking of several squat stands.

I'm thinking of pairing this up with the bodyworx c430ub, which I can find for $300 around Brisbane - thoughts? This bench is rated to 365kg which is more than enough for me.

Other benches I've seen are only rated to 250kg for $300, and as I'm 110kg bodyweight and already lifting 110kg I'm getting a little close for comfort to that limit (though I realise there are safety factors in design, imo you can't get enough!)

To be honest, I'm sure you could find a better bench than that for similar or less money.
The ratings on benches may not be accurate.
Some are over rated and some are under rated.
You really need to look at the structural sizes of steel used, not the advertising.

This bench is similar to the Bodyworx, but much higher quality and strength:
Body Solid Commercial Flat, Incline, Decline Bench GFID71
Can be had for $400 if you shop around.

The Bodyworx line of equipment seems to be inferior to reputable brands.
If you check their line, you will see copies of Powertec leverage gyms and Body Solid equipment, which is not a good sign.

Best to buy the genuine product for that little extra for peace of mind.

Hi Joe,

I really don't think you should just go by ratings.
I could load that bench Sookie has with 500kg of weight plates and guarantee it won't break, yes I have this bench.

Structure is more imnportant than rating.
I don't know how some of these companies selling equipm,ent come up with these ratings.
You can't simply go off dead loadings.