• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chocolate Orange Protein Fudge Bars

I hope they turn out great for you! The cacao is also great in protein shakes and the nibs...well, aahhh..yum.

Looking forward to the pics!! post them on the FB page...would love to see them :)

make sure it's a thick yoghurt. you can even drain it in a sieve lined with kitchen paper towels (covered in the fridge for a few hours). That will make it the right consistency.

Pea is great - high bioavailable protein content and good amino acid profile. Also the best for baking. You have to be careful with whey as it dries everything out very easily.

Just tried the nibs. Man, they smell like vinegar and taste VERY bitter. I definitely wouldn't eat these for the taste... I think I might have jumped the gun here, I have 1kg of nibs!!

Any suggestions on how to make them enjoyable? The cacao powder isn't such a prob, as I'll be adding it to bars or shakes or whatever.

Cacao/chocolate is bitter...but you get used to it... 1kg of nibs??? I've never bought a pack that big!
But the nibs should not smell like vinegar! I've never come across that before.

The nibs are great if you add them to stuff...so they'd be great if you tossed a tablespoon of them into the bar batter for example.
They're also good used instead of chocolate chips...I just made some of my protein choc chip cookies for my trainer and used nibs instead of choc chips. I also toss them into my protein bars (the low carb ones). If you have them IN something then they just give a great cacao taste. e.g mixed into peanut or almond butter...fantastic.
You can even grind them find in a nut or coffee grinder and use the powder a bit like cacao.

Funny, you ask how to make them enjoyable and all I can think is "wow, let me eat them, they're enjoyable" LOL

Last edited:
I can't stand bitter (largely the reason I hate beer), so probably should have considered that before buying them lol.

Anyway, I made the bars on the weekend. My verdict:

- Texture is brilliant, very moist / cake-like. Maintains the texture for several days.
- Very mild taste (and I used chocolate flavoured protein). Still tastes nice, but I'd prefer something a little sweeter. Might add a bit of splenda next time.
- Did not like the icing at all, could barely taste the vanilla. Won't bother with icing next time, will just make the bars (they taste better without IMO).
- Did not like the vanilla bean paste. Cost $10, I used almost the entire jar and still couldn't taste or smell it. Next time will just use a bit of imitation vanilla essence in the bar.
- I used some of the cacao nibs in the batter. Couldn't taste any bitterness, so will add even more next time (I have a lot to get through lol).

All in all, it is quite a good recipe. Not as sweet as I imagined, but very impressed with the texture.

Will make a few tweaks next time and see how it goes!

If you can't taste vanilla bean paste and used a whole jar, I'd be going to have my tastebuds checked out!! That's way weird!!! Vanilla bean paste is more concentrated. BUT, if you are used to the imitation stuff, which incidentally does not taste like vanilla (!!) then what you are expecting is not vanilla, but an artificial flavour that you are used to.

Casein cream is an acquired taste for sure. Not everyone loves it. The recipe is not overly sweet. I am not addicted to sugar (despite making a LOT of sweets) and so tend to hold back on sugary flavours. I always mention in the healthy recipes that some people might be more addicted to sugar so need to add more sweetener.
I can't use artificial sweeteners as they make me sick, so it was good to wean myself off them.

Glad you like the bars. You can add extra maple or a little splenda if that's your thing. It should not change the texture so long as you don't add copious amounts of it.

the nibs are definitely better if you add them to things. :)

DSC_4943.jpg

DSC_4942.jpg

DSC_4941.jpg

DSC_4940.jpg

DSC_4939.jpg