• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chin-up goals

Cuando usted está buscando como perder peso rapido con recetas deliciosas desayuno saludable para bajar de peso, los huevos son realmente tu mejor amigo. Los huevos son uno de los alimentos más naturales que usted puede comer y también uno de los mejores. Una palabra de advertencia: no te creas lo que dicen y sin sentido que demasiados huevos son malos para usted. Esto simplemente no es cierto. Los huevos están llenos de proteínas y grasas saludables. Es cierto grasas saludables y una Dieta para Bajar de Peso en una Semana o en un mes, sino que están llenas de colesterol bueno, el tipo que realmente puede ayudar a perder peso. Recuerde que la hora de elegir a comprar huevos siempre tratar de comprar orgánicos huevos de gallinas camperas. Las gallinas ponedoras son mucho más felices después de las gallinas criadas en jaulas y la calidad de los huevos en realidad lo refleja. Si usted no puede comprar productos orgánicos al menos el objetivo de comprar aire libre. Aquí están dos de alto valor proteico, de alto recetas saludables grasas desayuno saludable para bajar de peso.

Last edited:
i am only basic at bodyweight. We should put up clips of best efforts. A strict chinup comp for forum members.

The chinup vs pullup thing always confuses me. For years I did what I thought were chin ups because my chin went over the bar. But apparently overhand is a pull up. Whatever.

Nothing confusing about it
Chin up - underhand grip, chin to the bar
Pull up - overhand grip, chest to the bar

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, it's just a matter of grip: chinup=supinated, pullup=pronated. Neutral grip pullup is neutral grip, lol. :p Some people even do mixed grip, and all kinds of crazy crap. Fuck knows if it helps in any way, but it sure looks like fun I guess.

I still find wide grip pullups to be the biggest bitch of all. :mad: I will master them though - let it be known! :p

Ha, speaking of which. :D

Different kind of beast, however. Someone working for traveltown.vn just seems to be signing up and posting spam, in the old-fashioned way.

Cute, really. :rolleyes:

The exercise is hard because they require the use of a large amount of muscle to move a major amount of weight over a large range of motion.

Not only do they use a large amount of muscle mass, they require that you not carry excess bodyfat, they are psychologically the hardest.

Muscles worked: Latissimus dorsi (lats), teres major, traps (III and IV), deltoids (especially rear head), pec minor, long head of triceps, the elbow flexors (biceps, brachialis), forearms, abdominal muscles, and the muscles used in gripping.

Grip Variation

Chin-ups:

Use a supinated grip (palms facing you). This grip allows you to work the lats through the greatest range of motion of all the variants. Most people can use the most weight, or get the most repetitions, using this grip. Do not try to use this grip on a bar which slants downwards towards the ends, or you will ruin your elbows.

To find your best grip width, and the top (fully contracted) position of this variant, supinate and clench your hands, pull your shoulder blades back and down, and pull your elbows down.
Your upper arms should be just past parallel to your torso, i.e., if you could drop vertical lines through the centers of your shoulders, your elbows should be slightly behind that line.
Your fists will probably be at shoulder height, or even a little bit below.
They will probably be at around shoulder width apart.

That is your top position.

Any repetition which is stopped short of this position doesn't count -getting your chin over the bar for a second doesn't count.

If you touch your chest to the bar you will know the rep is complete.

Pull-ups:

Use a pronated grip (palms facing away from you). This grip will work the teres major harder, which is why people will "feel" their back more.

The teres major is small relative to the lats, so for most people this variation will not be as good for overall gains in mass and strength, but it is still a useful variant.

To find your best grip width, and the top (fully contracted) position of this variant, pronate and clench your hands, pull your shoulder blades back and down, and pull your elbows down.

Your upper arms should be just past parallel to your torso, i.e., if you could drop vertical lines through the centers of your shoulders, your elbows should be slightly behind that line. Your fists will probably be at or slightly above shoulder height. To set the width correctly, your forearms should be vertical at this point when viewed from the front; you can check this out using a mirror.

Any repetition which is stopped short of this position doesn't count.

Parallel-grip Chin-ups:

The best way to set up for these is to not use a parallel grip handle such as is used for cable rows and pulldowns.

These have too narrow a grip spacing, which will make it hard for you to get a good full contraction.

Instead, set yourself up with two free handles that you can set to your personal width preference.

Last edited:
The exercise is hard because they require the use of a large amount of muscle to move a major amount of weight over a large range of motion.

Not only do they use a large amount of muscle mass, they require that you not carry excess bodyfat, they are psychologically the hardest.

Muscles worked: Latissimus dorsi (lats), teres major, traps (III and IV), deltoids (especially rear head), pec minor, long head of triceps, the elbow flexors (biceps, brachialis), forearms, abdominal muscles, and the muscles used in gripping.

Grip Variation

Chin-ups:

Use a supinated grip (palms facing you). This grip allows you to work the lats through the greatest range of motion of all the variants. Most people can use the most weight, or get the most repetitions, using this grip. Do not try to use this grip on a bar which slants downwards towards the ends, or you will ruin your elbows.

To find your best grip width, and the top (fully contracted) position of this variant, supinate and clench your hands, pull your shoulder blades back and down, and pull your elbows down.
Your upper arms should be just past parallel to your torso, i.e., if you could drop vertical lines through the centers of your shoulders, your elbows should be slightly behind that line.
Your fists will probably be at shoulder height, or even a little bit below.
They will probably be at around shoulder width apart.

Any repetition which is stopped short of this position doesn't count -getting your chin over the bar for a second doesn't count.

If you touch your chest to the bar you will know the rep is complete.

Pull-ups:

Use a pronated grip (palms facing away from you). This grip will work the teres major harder, which is why people will "feel" their back more.

The teres major is small relative to the lats, so for most people this variation will not be as good for overall gains in mass and strength, but it is still a useful variant.

To find your best grip width, and the top (fully contracted) position of this variant, pronate and clench your hands, pull your shoulder blades back and down, and pull your elbows down.

Your upper arms should be just past parallel to your torso, i.e., if you could drop vertical lines through the centers of your shoulders, your elbows should be slightly behind that line. Your fists will probably be at or slightly above shoulder height. To set the width correctly, your forearms should be vertical at this point when viewed from the front; you can check this out using a mirror.

Any repetition which is stopped short of this position doesn't count.

Parallel-grip Chin-ups:

The best way to set up for these is to not use a parallel grip handle such as is used for cable rows and pulldowns.

These have too narrow a grip spacing, which will make it hard for you to get a good full contraction.

Instead, set yourself up with two free handles that you can set to your personal width preference.

Goose, what about the axe grip variation, where you lift up on one side (and either alternate or do one side per set)??

I really like those and they're hard to do but how worthwhile are they?

I do my pull ups on rings now it lets me twist my wrists in way up to stop the shoulder rotation. I feel its more in lats too that way

That's a good idea man!

iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good idea, it's important also to have hands at the correct width enable you to achieve full erection.

But the most important point about the hands placement is positioning the upper arm at an angle that eliminates any impingement of the shoulder.

no machine. you just grip a bar one hand in front of the other and up to one side (no kipping :p)
aim to get chest to bar height as usual

Chocco
What I am about to write is relevant to all exercises for producing strength size fitness and flexibility....

If you think about the movement or exercise for a minute and review what I wrote, you can see that the purpose of the exercise is to mechanically work the lats and friends through quite a large rom.

Any other variation (hand spacing) is going to limit the ( full extension/full contraction) benefit garnered by this hard exercise.

Chances are; if you like an exercise, You are doing it wrong.
You've got to find a way to make an exercise hard for it to produce maximum benefit

Chocco
What I am about to write is relevant to all exercises for producing strength size fitness and flexibility....

If you think about the movement or exercise for a minute and review what I wrote, you can see that the purpose of the exercise is to mechanically work the lats and friends through quite a large rom.

Any other variation (hand spacing) is going to limit the ( full extension/full contraction) benefit garnered by this hard exercise.

Chances are; if you like an exercise, You are doing it wrong.
You've got to find a way to make an exercise hard for it to produce maximum benefit

when I like an exercise, it's never because I find it easy. It's usually because it's challenging and I want to master it :)

the impact of the hand position is why I asked about it. axe grip doesn't work the same muscles or, maybe more correctly, not quite in the same way. Was wondering whether this variation has any merit at all.

Some people recommend it highly but I've never heard a logical reasoning for or against it. So am curious.

I'm getting back into including chinups, pullups and neutral grip more often as it's one of those exercises that, when you stop doing them all the time, you go backwards.
Made so much progress in Oct-Nov last year and now I can't do anywhere near as many good reps of each as I did then.
I always found them helpful in building up my deadlift (or possibly just my imagination) so want to keep at em again.

Chocco.
Try this.
To find what exercise works a muscle effectively you need to place the muscle in its fully stretch position the contracted.
As for the lat, it's origin is the spine, wraps around the rib cage and inserts under the arm.

So having said that, your left hand starts roughly in-line with your right ear.
The downward motion travels in an arch because it's moving around a joint (shoulder) finishes roughly around level with the left nipple and slightly in front, your shoulder is pulled back and down, you shoulder blade is drawn towards the spine, at that point you have absolute full contraction of the largest muscle in the back.

Chocco.
Try this.
To find what exercise works a muscle effectively you need to place the muscle in its fully stretch position the contracted.
As for the lat, it's origin is the spine, wraps around the rib cage and inserts under the arm.

So having said that, your left hand starts roughly in-line with your right ear.
The downward motion travels in an arch because it's moving around a joint (shoulder) finishes roughly around level with the left nipple and slightly in front, your shoulder is pulled back and down, you shoulder blade is drawn towards the spine, at that point you have absolute full contraction of the largest muscle in the back.

yep I know that. OK, will figure out the axe grip one.

yep I know that. OK, will figure out the axe grip one.

Yep, I suppose I'm just saying that the grip variation you mention is not going to allow full contraction.

Same with the row, using the narrow "v" handle is not going to allow full contraption of the back as opposed to a wider handle, 700mm is usually optimal for most.

;
Yep, I suppose I'm just saying that the grip variation you mention is not going to allow full contraction.

Same with the row, using the narrow "v" handle is not going to allow full contraption of the back as opposed to a wider handle, 700mm is usually optimal for most.

Interdasting... I love the small handle on the cable row...

Perhaps I should adopt a 700mm grip width in some of my training?