• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheat Meals?

PtCharger

Hey guys.

i was just wanting to ask some questions about 'Cheat meals.'

i am a big type of guy that has had a constant struggle with my weight, just to give some history, i once weighed 150kg with no muscle definition and was pretty much a fat slob. to date i have lost approx 50kg and i am on a forever strict diet because my metabolism is epically slow.

now i have recently within the last 6 months began a diet that consists of 5 meals a day, 7 days a week. all my meals are measured and spaced out approx 2 - 3 hours through out the day, only the first 3 containing some carbs (Rice & Oats/Wheetbix) and its been working wonders i have been dropping those extra Kg's and its cool. but its a bit much and is wearing thin.

i was chatting to people at he gym and they said that each week roughly the end of their weeks so a Sunday or Saturday they have a cheat meal. where you pretty much can eat what ever you want.

i am a bit unsure to this because of my metabolism and such, so i just wanted to find out what other people think and if this is a good idea? i would like to hear everyones opinion and learn from what you all have to offer.

I know when I was dieting to cut weight the only hard thing was the first week...

I only did no carbs for 7weeks, but after the one week and you see you have dropped weight it acted as a motivater to stay even more strict. I was supposed to have cheat meals but didn't, all I had as a "cheat" meal was added mushroom sauce to my steak... Week after week you run into other motivators such as body composition, people telling you you've gone skinny, etc.

But that's me. Lol to answer your question just let loose one dinner out of the 7 and aim more so for a higher fat meal as opposed to a higher carb one...

Or if you do have a carb one use it as a pre workout meal...

I just think once your motivated by the results your attaining you become addicted and more focused to achieve your goals...

Also just a suggestion why not try carbs only pre and post workouts?

Goodluck with it all... As I know fat loss is a ****.

If your squatting benching and deadlifting every week, with decent intensity your metabolism will fire up. You've lost 50kg which is an awesome feat, you should be proud.

You work hard it's up to you if you feel like you have deserved a cheat meal. If your dieting once every two weeks would be suitable. I try to make my cheat meals line up with the weekend, so I can just have steak, burger chips whatever when I'm out with friends.

This is my suggestions, and take it as you will, but a cheat meal is necessary to make sure your metabolism is really firing and its not seeing the same thing day in and day out otherwise your body will get used to it. Your metabolism will be kicking up because of your weight training. But a cheat meal, emphasis on the meal not day here is a great way to keep your body guessing. What I'd suggest is, on the day of your biggest workout i.e. legs have a cheat breakfast, i.e pancakes or something like that, bacon and eggs for instance or something like that that you wouldn't be having all the time.

The reason for this,
1. It reduces the monotony of the same foods every day.
2. Keeps your body guessing and will really fire up your metabolism as it works to digest the food.
3. Doing it on your biggest workout day will mean your full of energy and going to burn off any extra calories you may have consumed from the cheat meal.

My brain is a bit fried so I may add some extra later but I definitely think thats a good way to go.

I've had success in the past with weight loss and I believe the key is to take a realistic approach. This applies to both dieting and cardio work. If you get all gung ho and fired up, and make a plan to wake up 5.30 6 days a week to jog, well you're likely gonna chuck it in after 2 days. Same thing with eating, if you set too rigid a plan you'll start loathing yourself when you inevitably give in quickly.

Set some firm goals but have enough confidence in your overall motivation levels to know that one or two cheat meals every now and then will be no big deal. I personally didn't choose to have scheduled cheat meals, but I believe others here did, with success. If you stay on the right track 80-90% of the time you should see some success.

Just an example bruv, changing things up from what you have every morning. Otherwise your body gets used to what your doing and your metabolism can slow down.

Yeah I just had 2 pizzas after my second upper day for the week. Good reward, only carbs I had all day!!

Just an example bruv, changing things up from what you have every morning. Otherwise your body gets used to what your doing and your metabolism can slow down.

Where is ghosty.

This is an example of bro science.

Being Asian I don't have the genetics compared to caucasians height bone structure but I've managed to turn my shitty physique around and most of you here can't deny this about asians.
If I can change it there should be no excuse for any other race to not overcome the genetic hurdle.

They are but skinny fat. Not as tall or bone structure is smaller so they can pile on weight yet still have the appearance of being "skinny" when they have clothes on.

Being Asian I don't have the genetics compared to caucasians height bone structure but I've managed to turn my shitty physique around and most of you here can't deny this about asians.
If I can change it there should be no excuse for any other race to not overcome the genetic hurdle.

You've also worked damn fucking hard and for a long time man. Not many guys are going to stick with it as long as you have.

With cheat meals, two reasons come to mind:

1. To increase Leptin levels.
2. To give yourself a reward and break from your normal dieting regime so you can stay motivated.

First reason is probably needed once a week or once every two weeks. Have a meal that is high in calories, doesn't have to be a junk feast.

I have found that if I have a cheat meal that includes junk food or sugars then it really fucks me up, my brain is switched to wanting junk food and it can set in a big junk feast if your not careful or disciplined.

The whole keep your body guessing thing is probably B.S, but who knows, it maybe was proven in a study. All i know is that being consistent and sticking to a set diet will yield results, not being hap hazard.

If you are to have a cheat meal try and make sure it still has good shit in it too. Dont just eat a box of shapes and a bottle of coke. Perhaps a lasagne and salad or a burger with the works and chips.

As for the keeping the body guessing, i am not sure about it. I definately have heard about it but not sure if hat is just bro science.

Also well done losing 50kg.

Thank you all for your help and your information. I have currently implemented a cheat day for one meal per wek and its fallen on my day off on training on a Sunday. i find its a good thing to look forward to and it helps me keep sane :)