• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheapest microplates?

lutrin

So, this is embarrassing, but I've been unable to increase my OH press from 35kg since a month after I started lifting (so, stuck for the last month or so).

I'm after some 0.75kg plates to fit a 2" bar.

Any ideas?

I have an idea [I haven't actually tried this myself, but]:

get some lead flashing from Bunnings, and cut a bit of the right weight. you should be able to work out what area of sheet metal will weigh how much, based on the information on the label.

Make longish rectangles; wrap them around the ends of the bar.

The cost per kg might be relatively high, but you don't want much, and you can make whatever weight you want.

So, this is embarrassing, but I've been unable to increase my OH press from 35kg since a month after I started lifting (so, stuck for the last month or so).

I'm after some 0.75kg plates to fit a 2" bar.

Any ideas?

750ml bottle of water...

or.. 1.25L bottles with 750mls in them... they're also adjustable :)

bit of string to tie them on.. or old coathanger wire fashioned into a hook..

Wait a second.

Stuck on 35kg after 1 or 2 months of training?
Sounds to me like a volume issue. Or not recovering, or something. Try backing off and adding an extra set. Hard to tell with a beginner.
But anyway micro plates are great to have OHP in any case.

Stu I like that water idea haha.

Ghetto as fuck, but I'll take it, lacking anything better :p

In related news, I figured out that it was because I was doinitrong and just trying to lift with my arms with the rest of my body static.

Henceforth resolving to skim Rippetoe's book before each session.

@Timeah yeah, it was just that I was f'ing up the movement completely. Smashed out 3x5@35 easily today whereas usually I'm struggling and raging and shaking by the fourth/fifth.

*EDIT* Whoops, looks like I missed a couple of replies.

Cheers richottr; grabbed the plates, just for ease of use. $32/kg, but I'll want them at some point.

Last edited:
I know, I know, but if I'm completely honest it's down to the fact that I am willing to spend $80 to not look really fucking silly at a public gym.

:p