• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cgbp

McKwl

Overloaded Member
I'm thinking of trying the good old close grip bench press (never nave, so far), to supplement the standard bench press.

Just wondering what kind of angle your forearms should be at, when the bar is as low as it goes. Or, alternatively, what angle they might start at.

I know there's a bunch of different ways to do any given lift, but I prefer to do things "right", if possible. The most effective way, for example.

edit: Also, any other advice is welcome. :)

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess that it depends entirely WHY you're doing it
To increase your bench? Use the form that allows you to shift the most weight
I would imagine that benching to increase tricep mass would get benefit from slightly different form

I'd just bench in the safest way possible though, which is identical to regular powerlifting bench form just with a closer grip. I think you'd get more out of thinking how you're going to increase your CGBP rather than what form or variation you're going to use

If you're trying to lift the most weight id tuck my elbows into my sides more or less but if you're wanting to increase tricep size / and or chase the pump then ld flare my elbows out. Still have a tight back and retract your scapula to protect your shoulders as much as you can.

Yeah, to supplement (or support, really) the flat bench.

It's just that I heard it's best to have your forearms pointing straight up when the bar's at chest height, for regular bench, and was wondering if there was any guideline like that for the CG variant.

If not, doesn't matter - I'll just have at it, and see what I can get away with. :)

Cheers.