• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cardio.

Running is fucking hard on my knees.

Hear hear. Two years ago I did a lot of running to lose weight (instead of doing it after losing weight). Ended up with knee problem, stopped running altogether (and got the weight back).

Running is still good, but one would have to take a lot of precaution:
- proper footwear
- as soft surface as practically possible - grass is ideal, non-asphalted footpath is possible
- losing weight before running

Cross-trainer, IMHO, is easier on the knees.

Running is a great form of cardio as you can get your heart rate up and keep it relatively constant there for a sustained period of time. It's also a great way to burn heaps of calories and generally tone your body as it not only involves toughening your legs up but also requires using your core, shoulders, back etc to be switched on

Cardio, tone. Two terrible words. Try conditioning. If you need to run a 40km marathon then yeah running is better. If you want to be fitter, healthier, live longer then proper conditioning and strength training is a much better method. I get "tougher" legs running hill sprints than pounding the pavement for 10kms each day, in fact pavement pounding makes my legs weaker and more injury prone. Your core, shoulders, back etc will be switched on more in a sprint, barbell complex, hitting the heavy bag etc than ever it is on a long run.

It improves the ability of the heart to be able pump blood around the body to deliver nutrients to muscles, as well as the ability of the lungs to oxygenate that blood for sustained periods.

So does running repeated sprints, 400m runs, barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell complexes. There are enough studies out there to prove it scientifically if you want. In fact there are enough studies our there to prove that running intervals is actually a better way to increase your V02 max which is a general calculated guide for the above.

Most people on here though don't really seem to care about that though, they are only interested in cardio as a means of losing fat so their muscles look more defined, or to cut weight to fit into a weight class, rather than as a part of allround fitness.

So you think running sprints, doing complexes, hitting the heavy bag does not constitute to all round fitness? See above again. Also a lot of people on here are also interested in not just being big and strong, go read their logs there is a lot of conditioning work. Some in the form of longer runs.

People who don't run also seem to believe that running for long periods burns muscle and so makes you weaker, and insist on relatively short, intense bursts of running or resistance training which seeks to burn fat in recovery more than as an energy source.

Using fat in recovery is still using fat as an energy source, just at a different time. Running 40km (total) a week will lead to muscle loss and a reduced ability to make strength gains. Running a 5km run once a week is fine, some people like it so I would personally tell them to keep it up.

I am not against running distance if someone has a goal to run a marathon or just really likes it but if they are doing it for perceived better health benefits then they need to be educated. You get more health benefits from a mix of strength training and conditioning work that does not primarily involve distance running. Sorry if I seemed harsh but all that info is recycled 80's jogging craze stuff that has been proven to not be correct.

Don't go all Rear Naked Choke on me now MMA....my question was relevant to Daves history...or so it seems from that other poll thread about his battle with ovarian cancer. I was interested in how he overcame it.

Agreed, I do some long running for footy training and I fucking hate it. So boring and it always fucks up my knees and ankles. I would never bother with running longer distances if it wasn't for footy. There are so many better forms of cardio.

This is the reason I always skipped pre-season for footy and played basketball over summer (and ended up giving away footy).
Knees were copping a beating and the running we were doing was all steady state long distance sh!t that didn't relate to the short, intense bursts required in the sport itself

This is the reason I always skipped pre-season for footy and played basketball over summer (and ended up giving away footy).
Knees were copping a beating and the running we were doing was all steady state long distance sh!t that didn't relate to the short, intense bursts required in the sport itself

I've done a heap of footy pre seasons and as much as i hate to say it I am always fitter and play better footy when as well as other training I did plenty of long steady running.

I know it's not the in thing now and I bloody hate it with a passion but that's the way it seems it is with me.

Cardio, tone. Two terrible words. Try conditioning. If you need to run a 40km marathon then yeah running is better. If you want to be fitter, healthier, live longer then proper conditioning and strength training is a much better method. I get "tougher" legs running hill sprints than pounding the pavement for 10kms each day, in fact pavement pounding makes my legs weaker and more injury prone. Your core, shoulders, back etc will be switched on more in a sprint, barbell complex, hitting the heavy bag etc than ever it is on a long run.

So does running repeated sprints, 400m runs, barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell complexes. There are enough studies out there to prove it scientifically if you want. In fact there are enough studies our there to prove that running intervals is actually a better way to increase your V02 max which is a general calculated guide for the above.

So you think running sprints, doing complexes, hitting the heavy bag does not constitute to all round fitness? See above again. Also a lot of people on here are also interested in not just being big and strong, go read their logs there is a lot of conditioning work. Some in the form of longer runs.

Using fat in recovery is still using fat as an energy source, just at a different time. Running 40km (total) a week will lead to muscle loss and a reduced ability to make strength gains. Running a 5km run once a week is fine, some people like it so I would personally tell them to keep it up.

I am not against running distance if someone has a goal to run a marathon or just really likes it but if they are doing it for perceived better health benefits then they need to be educated. You get more health benefits from a mix of strength training and conditioning work that does not primarily involve distance running. Sorry if I seemed harsh but all that info is recycled 80's jogging craze stuff that has been proven to not be correct.

Cheers Dave I just came back to this thread and saw you'd replied to my post.

I was just pointing out good things about running and you've pointed out other ways to get the same (or even better) benefits which I agree have merit.

I used to run about 5-10km 3x week (interval runs) so I guess about 20km/wk and it sure worked for me, but I agree there are probably smarter ways to go about losing weight and improving your conditioning whilst not burning muscle.

FWIW Ive actually just started HIIT on my rest days for conditioning purposes as Ive exclusively just been lifting (and eating) for a couple of months now.

My cardio exercise are
Running
Walking
Jogging
Dancing
Swimming
Skating
Riding a Bike
Jumping on a Trampoline
Aerobics

Kettlebell complexes
BB complexes
Skipping/sprints/burpees circuits.
Tyre flips
Car pulls
Squats that go over 5 reps :D

This is what we do at PTC anyway.
That's what I call cardio.

Lately, I've just been doing a fair amount of walking (very much on the low end of the intensity spectrum), and some light-to-moderate cardio on the elliptical at the gym. I know, that's about as respectable as using pink dumbbells...but I genuinely am so deconditioned (cardio-wise, anyway) that squatting 6+ reps is cardio to me, so now that I've decided to start doing some cardio, I'm easing into it. I'll start doing something a little more intense/manly/respectable in a few weeks.

Hi MixedMartialArts,
I have started jogging with 2 miles and increased distance gradually and now I jog for 10 miles daily. Besides that I do cardio on stationary bike and treadmill in gym to burn fats.
nutritionist san antonio

Last edited: