• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Carb back loading ??

kal-el

Just wondering if anyone has read about this or read the book about carb back loading? Its written by a guy called Keifer (spelling?)

For people that havent read the book I guess in some ways its similar to the anabolic diet.

You do a keto phase where you keep carbs under 30g, after 10days on that you train and eat copious amounts of carbs. Then you pretty much skip breakfast and only eat protein and fat, at a 50:50 ratio (150g of P and 150g of F). On days you train you back load carbs having a huge amount he also recommends having more more junky carbs, as they spike insulin etc.

His reasoning behind this is because of cortisole levels in the morning making it easier to store fat and as the day goes on insulin sensitivity decreases in all tissues including fat, which makes it harder to store excess carbs as fat. Also that after resistance training, the expression of mtor pathways and trans-location of glut4 transporters (insulin independent transporters) makes it much easier to store the excess in muscle tissue therefore increasing hypertrophy on back loading days and burning more fat on non back loading days.

He has a ton of articles to site most of his claims.

It sounds great in theory being able to smash the types of carbs you desire on training days, donuts, lollies, ice cream etc.

I would find it extremely hard to get equal amounts of fat to protein though.

Also there are apparently some well known people that use it the only name I remember though is power lifter Jason Pegg and they swear by it.

Last edited:
That sounds a lot like the diet im mostly on all year around.

Have you read any of the scientific studies the author nods to when promoting this diet? You may want to look into the kreb cycle if your going to do a bit of research. A fcuk it...look up the kreb cycle anyway.

Your body doesn't know the difference between lolly snakes and apple juice. What im saying is don't use this diet as en excuse to eat rubbish food. Eating quality foods full of vitamins, minerals is good for your overall health. A bag of chicken twisties is devoid of any nutritional value.

Yeah I know about the krebs cycle.

His reasoning behind eating more so junk was because it has a higher GI and insulin will drop off quicker before you go to bed and you will have less sleep disturbances and GH will increase sooner than if you had low GI and insulin was higher for a longer period of time, rather than peaking and coming back down. He is against mass consumption of fruit and fruit juice as fructose bypasses the usual route.

I have read a couple of the studies.

It all seems unnecessary.

and a little complex. Run an experiment mate. Keep a detailed diary of foods you eat, training sessions for at least 12 weeks so some type of response can be seen. Sure its a small experiment....worth doing though.

How on earth can somebody be against a natural food source :S

and a little complex. Run an experiment mate. Keep a detailed diary of foods you eat, training sessions for at least 12 weeks so some type of response can be seen. Sure its a small experiment....worth doing though.

How on earth can somebody be against a natural food source :S

Carbs under 30g. No thanks.

What's the reasoning behind 50:50 protein/fat? The protein I get, but why would equal fat be recommended? Seems excessive.

Once again do it if it suits you and will help you stick to your macros and calorie intake. Kreiger has cited some poor articles to back up his claims but once again people who do it like it and they stick to their macros and calories better and therefore long term adherence is better and they then lose weight.

Same goes for IF, 6 meals a day, 3 meals a day etc etc.

Once again do it if it suits you and will help you stick to your macros and calorie intake. Kreiger has cited some poor articles to back up his claims but once again people who do it like it and they stick to their macros and calories better and therefore long term adherence is better and they then lose weight.

Same goes for IF, 6 meals a day, 3 meals a day etc etc.

You're a broken record Dave.

You noticing a trend? Funny enough I feel there is no point repeating it on a forum as most people are looking for the next best thing or something extreme.

For me its not looking for a fad or the next best thing, I find peoples opinions and theories interesting.

Got the book. Powerlifters from all round the USA are raving about it. Brian carroll, Vinny Dizenzo, Jason Pegg and others are all loving it.