• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

cant build!!!

Hey Mondo,

Firstly, excuse my spelling and punctuation, it’s pretty ordinary.. Anyway, don't despair! Sounds like you’ve got some really good advice already.. I wish had something like this when I started out! I worked out for quite a few years with little results also. I couldn’t understand it.. I found I needed to learn the right exercises that worked for me, rather than constantly doing what worked for other people. It sounds like you’re experimenting with different things, that’s great! Keep trying different free weight and machine exercises (if you have access to them), try different techniques, try everything! It took me years to find the combination of techniques and exercises that my body responded to. It was a frustrating, but ultimately rewarding process.

Good luck with it all!

thanks heaps bro. wat did work for u?we may be the same? how longu been trianing? 3 years here, hopin 2 get sum muscle soon...!

I’ve been working out since my mid teens, so well over 15 years.. What worked for me? I still maintain a lot of it is individual. Like exercise selection. There are some exercises that I find are excellent, but you might not get anything out of them. I suppose there are some basic generic things I can suggest. . Umm, where to start.. I’ve sorta touched on constant tension, I find that really important. Good form is essential for this, especially with free weights. Some machines are also good because they’re designed to keep the tension on the muscle throughout the entire range of motion.

Looking after your joints and tendons is huge. Strong joints/tendons= bigger lifting. Avoiding imbalances I thus pretty important. For example, you hardly see people doing wrist curls or reserve barbell curls, I don’t know why. Just doing regular barbell curls isn’t a good idea without doing wrist curls and or reserves curls can help avoid muscle and joint imbalances . When I started doing reserve curls I found them very difficult, but I quickly got stronger. Now I can also lift as much with reserve curls as regular curls. I believe this has helped my overall arm development.

If you’re having trouble improving your strength, I found heavy partials helped me. Although obviously low reps are good for strength, I find them too hard on my aging joints! ;o) You might already do partials, I’m not sure.. If not, and you want to try them, read up on them first. Learn what you can form people that know more than me! But generally speaking, make sure your really warm when you do them, or you’ll wreak havoc on your joints no matter how young or old you are! You can do partials at any point, personally I do them at different times depending on the exercise and the body part. For some reason I always tend to do partials with machines or cables, but don’t know why. I just like the feel I machines with partials I guess. You can do with free weights though. Just a few examples to illustrate what im talking about... With chest, I might do them with the pec flies towards the end of my workout once I can’t do anymore more full reps. I increase the weight and do them at different points on the exercise range to improve my overall strength.. You can also use partials for a good pump and burn too. With biceps, I’ll generally do them every set when I‘m using cables curls. I’ll do 6-8 full reps, really squeezing at the top, then four partials for a real burn. Generally at the top and bottom of the curl. It hurts like hell! I know someone that only does partials, personally I like to use them to complement full range reps, but everyone is different.

I also really focused on and slowed down of the eccentric part of reps. Especially with exercises that give me a good stretch. I often do negative reps on preacher curls for example. Again it depends on the exercises.

As for diet, everyone is right, diet is huge.. After your workout don’t forget good quality carbohydrates in addition to good quality protein and fats! One of my mates that is a hard gainer would eat half a chicken after a workout and no carbs at all.. I’m surprised he didn’t lose muscle!

thanks rob man thas useful.
asa for after workout is a banana, bowl of rice or pasta and a protein shake aight? my protein has no carbs so ui have banana for suger and low gi carbs and the rice or pasta for low gi.

all up i hav this:

Breaky: 2 eggs, 2 toast, 500mL milk and a banana

Snack 1: 2 cans of tuna, 2 slices of brerak and a carrot and a cucumber

Lunch: Bowl of brown rice, grilled chicken breast, steamed brocolli

Snack 2: Bowl of brown rice, 2 cans of tuna or a grilled chicken breast and 2 carrots

Pre workout: banana

Partway through workout: protein supp and a banana

Post workout: protein supp and bowl of rice or pasta.

Dinner: Grilled steak/chicken breast/kangaroo with large serve of steamed veges.

Mondo and Modo are the same guy! Its like Spider Man and Man Spider, has anyone seen that movie classic. Where the guy turns into a giant half man half spider.

thanks rob man thas useful.
asa for after workout is a banana, bowl of rice or pasta and a protein shake aight? my protein has no carbs so ui have banana for suger and low gi carbs and the rice or pasta for low gi.

all up i hav this:

Breaky: 2 eggs, 2 toast, 500mL milk and a banana

Snack 1: 2 cans of tuna, 2 slices of brerak and a carrot and a cucumber

Lunch: Bowl of brown rice, grilled chicken breast, steamed brocolli

Snack 2: Bowl of brown rice, 2 cans of tuna or a grilled chicken breast and 2 carrots

Pre workout: banana

Partway through workout: protein supp and a banana

Post workout: protein supp and bowl of rice or pasta.

Dinner: Grilled steak/chicken breast/kangaroo with large serve of steamed veges.
If he was struggling to grow he should have doubled this daily food intake.

omg old thread lol... i havent eaten kangaroo i na while now, i cant stand it no more wen so overbaord with it made myself sick as ****! i gained weihgt since then and hav since again lost it lol cause i was trying to lean as of recent. n yes i stuck with it. omg dig up old news llol.

Hey Patrick,
You do not have to get rid of excess fat to build muscle, but you will need to get rid of excess fat if you want to better see what you are building. A sensible, balanced diet is usually good enough for the average joe to achieve both goals. Changing you eating habits to eliminate unnecessary "junk" calories combined with weights will see you losing body fat, & the required protein etc in the diet will build muscle. So unless you are an advanced lifter who's needs are different, I would not worry too much about. Eat well, train hard, give the body time to recover.

This is a good point, Ive struggled wif this myself for the past 5 years.
Going hard in the gym, but not really eating right and having a large layer of fat over any progress I may have been making. And because I wasnt seeing any major gains I would slay myself harder and not give my body adiquit rest.
It wasnt until I was sent to hospital and wasnt able to train or eat crap food for a good 3 weeks I finally began to see a noticable change. my muscles had used this recovery time to mend and grow, and the healthier diet began to strip much of the fat and gave way better deffinition.
When I finally got back into the gym I started making good gains.
cos the rest I had gave me something solid to build on.

Good luck my man:)