• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yes that is correct (though some nutrients are oxidized during the digestion process so in all it starts there).

Yeah I'm guessing I've misunderstood you buddy :)

If you have eaten 250 grams of protein (all from whey) you will just have 25 hours of digesting etc going on. You don't lose it per se. Is that what you mean? :)

Yep so it digests for 25 hours. But there are only 24 hours in a day. So if you keep eating 250g of protein a day, eventually it would build up into a large amount of protein waiting to be digested. Eg, if you eat 250g protein a day for 100 days and only digest 240g a day, you would have 10g x 100 = 1kg of protein still waiting to be digested? That's what I was saying.

Yep so it digests for 25 hours. But there are only 24 hours in a day. So if you keep eating 250g of protein a day, eventually it would build up into a large amount of protein waiting to be digested. Eg, if you eat 250g protein a day for 100 days and only digest 240g a day, you would have 10g x 100 = 1kg of protein still waiting to be digested? That's what I was saying.
Yeah you got it mate. Just a continual roll over.

So the next time you hear someone say they are going catabolic from not eating after 3 hours, you know what to say. LOL

Your Post Work 'Anabolic Window' Is at least 24 hours wide!

Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar prote... [J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar protein synthesis persists for up to 24 h after resistance exercise in young men.
Burd NA, West DW, Moore DR, Atherton PJ, Staples AW, Prior T, Tang JE, Rennie MJ, Baker SK, Phillips SM.
Source
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada.
Abstract
We aimed to determine whether an exercise-mediated enhancement of muscle protein synthesis to feeding persisted 24 h after resistance exercise. We also determined the impact of different exercise intensities (90% or 30% maximal strength) or contraction volume (work-matched or to failure) on the response at 24 h of recovery. Fifteen men (21 ± 1 y, BMI = 24.1 ± 0.8 kg · m(-2)) received a primed, constant infusion of l-[ring-(13)C(6)]phenylalanine to measure muscle protein synthesis after protein feeding at rest (FED; 15 g whey protein) and 24 h after resistance exercise (EX-FED). Participants performed unilateral leg exercises: 1) 4 sets at 90% of maximal strength to failure (90FAIL); 2) 30% work-matched to 90FAIL (30WM); or 3) 30% to failure (30FAIL). Regardless of condition, rates of mixed muscle protein and sarcoplasmic protein synthesis were similarly stimulated at FED and EX-FED. In contrast, protein ingestion stimulated rates of myofibrillar protein synthesis above fasting rates by 0.016 ± 0.002%/h and the response was enhanced 24 h after resistance exercise, but only in the 90FAIL and 30FAIL conditions, by 0.038 ± 0.012 and 0.041 ± 0.010, respectively. Phosphorylation of protein kinase B on Ser473 was greater than FED at EX-FED only in 90FAIL, whereas phosphorylation of mammalian target of rapamycin on Ser2448 was significantly increased at EX-FED above FED only in the 30FAIL condition. Our results suggest that resistance exercise performed until failure confers a sensitizing effect on human skeletal muscle for at least 24 h that is specific to the myofibrillar protein fraction.

Basic Q&A as done by Emma-Leigh Synnott

1. What is a good meal to eat when you first wake up?
What you feel like.
But you don't have to eat when you first get up.

2. What is a good pre-workout meal
What you feel like.
But you don't have to eat pre workout.

3.What should a good post-workout meal comprise of
What you feel like.
But you don't have to eat post workout.

4. If my RMR is 1646 should i drop calories below that to lose weight or below my BMR?
No. See link above. http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html

5. When counting calories do you incorporate the ones from supplements ex. a pre workout supplement has 40 cals do you count that toward your daily consumption?
If you want to count them, do so. What ever you do - be consistent with it, as it is your ability to CHANGE your diet in response to RESULTS that matters.

6. Can anyone make a list of good food for cutting/toning. If I would go to the grocery store what should I buy? Please include brand names if possible.
No such thing as toning - that is a word marketing companies developed so they wouldn't scare females away from their products/ training.
Tone = more muscle, less fat.
Foods? What ever you feel like that keeps you healthy while you reach your goals.

7. Good meal before bed (other than caesin)
What you feel like.
But you don't have to eat pre bed.

8. Should you eat no carbs after a certain time?
No. Eat them when you feel like.

9. Explain complex/ simple carbs and when they are best used.
Old data. Eat what ever carbs you want should they fit your diet.
Doesn't matter in the context of a mixed meal.

Lol.

Well with religion there is nothing to observe or measure, only faith.

I see a difference.

Or we dont have the ability to measure....

Lets not forget not too long ago the idea of invisible things (to the eye at least) a la germs was whitch talk :D

Nutrition = People putting faith in 6 meals a day as the total determent to optimum physique acquirement LOL

Last edited:
I am with Bazza

Is that what your two year course taught you Christian?

It taught me that the deeper you delve the harder it is to draw a a proper conclusion on something because you need to go the next step to say why.
I don't like the whole of humanities nutrition advice based on small studies from untrained people do a leg extension. Anecdotally there is enough evidence for the 6 as opposed to 3 , 1 , 0 , 150. If something works you do it if not move on, it's really that simple... I have tried if I did t like it, I got weaker, wasn't happy so no point me doing it. I'll continue to eat my 6 1000kcal meals because it works for me.

It taught me that the deeper you delve the harder it is to draw a a proper conclusion on something because you need to go the next step to say why.
I don't like the whole of humanities nutrition advice based on small studies from untrained people do a leg extension. Anecdotally there is enough evidence for the 6 as opposed to 3 , 1 , 0 , 150. If something works you do it if not move on, it's really that simple... I have tried if I did t like it, I got weaker, wasn't happy so no point me doing it. I'll continue to eat my 6 1000kcal meals because it works for me.

So because some nutrition studies are small and may not be well done you want to throw all the good research out and compare nutrition to religion were the is nothing to study or observe.

You say some nutrition reasearch is small and disregard it but then then your happy to go with anecdotal evidence of 6 meals working????

You say 6 meal is working for you. Of course it is. Your eating 6000 calories a day, what else do you expect to happen. Do you really believe if you changed to 3 meals of 2000 calories your progress would stop.

So because some nutrition studies are small and may not be well done you want to throw all the good research out and compare nutrition to religion were the is nothing to study or observe.

You say some nutrition reasearch is small and disregard it but then then your happy to go with anecdotal evidence of 6 meals working????

You say 6 meal is working for you. Of course it is. Your eating 6000 calories a day, what else do you expect to happen. Do you really believe if you changed to 3 meals of 2000 calories your progress would stop.

That isn't my point you totally missed it... I feel bloated and crap doing 3 of 2000, I feel better with less more often...

I don't think there is a study on me and how I feel so I have to go with what I know. For someone to say the latter is better for me is ridiculous.

I'm not throwing anything out. I'm just basing more on how I function as opposed to how someone tells me I should function...

That isn't my point you totally missed it... I feel bloated and crap doing 3 of 2000, I feel better with less more often...

I don't think there is a study on me and how I feel so I have to go with what I know. For someone to say the latter is better for me is ridiculous.

I'm not throwing anything out. I'm just basing more on how I function as opposed to how someone tells me I should function...

Nothing here is saying you have to
have 2 or 3 meals a day. Just that 6+ meals is not necessary to feed the muscles or speed metabolism like most bodybuilding myth would have you believe.

Obviously if your bloated on 3 meals and 6 spreads out the food better for you, do it and there is nothing saying you shouldn't.

2000 calorie meals are my idea of fun.

Nothing here is saying you have to
have 2 or 3 meals a day. Just that 6+ meals is not necessary to feed the muscles or speed metabolism like most bodybuilding myth would have you believe.

Obviously if your bloated on 3 meals and 6 spreads out the food better for you, do it and there is nothing saying you shouldn't.

2000 calorie meals are my idea of fun.

That's exactly what I was talking about though. There are other aspects to eating certain ways that are not addressed.. As previously stated most more meal advocates preach this to clients because usually they are fairly useless at sticking to anything and people don't really need to be hungry.

This is what I meant when I said you need to go deeper... Yes know fact from fiction but at the end of the day speeding
Metabolism or what ever rubbish has nothing to do with my meal timing...

Quite simply -

If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

That can be applied to weight gainers.

As stated, even though there are people who follow a 2 or 3 meal a day protocol (LIKE MYSELF), no one is saying you can't eat 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc. It is just simply trying to put the point across for the uneducated that any meal frequency is workable but thinking there is a need for a HIGHER meal frequency is UNNECESSARY for the typical metabolic benefits that are thought.

EVERYONE who gets a nutritional guide off me NEVER gets any sort of meal schedule or frequency listing (unless asked for it to be done in a specific amount). I clearly say that as long as you consume the required macronutirents and micronutrients, how you choose to consume them is up to the INDIVIDUAL.