• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

can you get growth from just pumping a muscle?

<ULTRA-MEGA>

F.U.B.A.R.
i'm talking about biceps.

have had a problem with my left biceps. there is a big tight feeling pain at the top of the biceps near the shoulder when i'm curling a 10kg db.

but if i just pump it full of blood with very high reps like 30+ reps it feels fine gets massively pumped like it would burst.

can you get growth from just pumping a muscle?

Im guessing hes asking can you get muscle growth(size) from contracting a muscle - without resistance?

hrmmn, I have been training the biceps with light weight and higher reps, (not 30+) from 10 - 25 usually, the pump is what gets me before physical failure as such.

to answer your question, I think "yes" so long as you keep going until you cannot go any further.

PS I was ridiculed earlier for a similar post a while back.

PPS Darkoz loves a good pump

well i don't have much choice until this biceps problem gets resolved so thats all i can do is high reps and pump with 2-3 exercises.

i have a pinched nerve and i got it from bench pressing a few months ago.

Last edited:
well i don't have much choice until this biceps problem gets resolved so thats all i can do is high reps and pump with 2-3 exercises.

i have a pinched nerve and i got it from bench pressing a few months ago.

So doing high rep low weight is a solution for you?

There have been some interesting studies in this area.

We did some EMG studies, and read a ton of articles on studies involving "imagining your workout" over 6 weeks. There was a significant difference when the subjects visualized working out, and actually experiencing hypetrophy. I am naturally skeptical by default, but this was interesting.

A neuro physiologist at Deakin in my third year was studying strength transference:

Strength Training of One Limb Increases Corticomotor Excitability Projecting to the Contralateral Homologous Limb

Interesting guy, Dawson Kidgell is his name.

I know I haven't actually answered your post - in the strict sense what you are experiencing is muscular gorging, which is just blood pumped into the area.