• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can someone tell me why this happened

M

maunded

Yesterday, after a particularly large set of leg press I began to feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. This isnt unusual as I tend to push myself a bit hard on occasions and have had that feeling before, but it usually subsides after a few minutes.
The problem this time is it didnt just last a few minutes, and seemed to be getting progressively worse, I sat down for about 10 mins and sipped water, but it didnt go away, so I decided to pack it in and hit the shower. Getting to the shower was hard enough with the room spinning, and once I was in there it was like being on a very small boat in very large waves. I was having trouble staying upright and felt like throwing up. I tried warm water/straight cold water but nothing was making the room stop spinning. I eventually got myself changed and went and sat in the waiting area as there was no way I could drive home the way everything was spinning. The gym staff offered me cold water, cold towels etc but nothing seemed to help, until one of the staff gave me some of those jelly snakes. She told me to eat a couple of them and wait a few minutes. I went and lied on a couch and after about 20 mins I was able to walk upright properly again without looking like a drunken sailor.

Ive never had this happen quite so bad before, the only thing I think I maybe did diffferently is I went to the gym a little later, so I had dinner before (about 30 mins), which was a piece of chicken, some pasta and veggies.

Can anyone tell me if this might have something to do with low blood sugar, and if the lollies really helped or I just had to wait it out? Or because I ate dinner before I went....or if I am going to kill myself with the amount of leg press that I do :)

My food intake for the day:
Breakfast:
90Grams Uncle Tobys Protein Mix,1/2 cup Physical fat free milk
1x white coffee 1 sugar
1 glass Metamucil
2x fish oil tabs
1x glucosamine tab

Lunch:
Medium salad with grilled chicken breast
Protein shake with skim milk

Dinner:
Chicken thigh, 1xcup pasta, 1xcup vegies
1 glass physical fat free milk

That link you sent sounds exactly how I felt, sweating, shaking dizzy and nausea.

OK, now you had no carbs from breakfast to dinner... At dinner you ate some slow burning carbs which are low GI. Now when you did your leg press you depleted your body of glycogen (glucose storage mechanism). Leg press takes a lot of energy!

The problem is that your dinner couldn't be converted to glucose in time for your training. To avoid this in the future, add carbs to lunch, or have a high GI carb with your dinner. ie. potato, white bread, white rice etc.

In truth your diet looks pretty bad all up..

You wouldn't drive your car without fuel in the tank same goes for your body. Listen to craft, if you are going to low carb it still at least have a pre workout shake with some sugar in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, thanks craft and dave.

I recently had a 4 week break from training and added a few kg of fat around my mid section, so Im trying to lose that, but not lose any muscle mass....

Should I add high GI to dinnner or low GI to lunch? Is there a benefit to either?
What about my breakfast, is that OK? Im basically eating the same thing every day, so some hints on what I need to add and when would be great.

Im 178cm and 80kg and would like to take that up to 85 by the end of the year, but also lose this fat around my stomach.

Why are you having metamucil?

Do you know this can block medication and mineral absorbtion i.e glucosamine? Replace with fruit its cheaper and better for you...

If you are eating no refined carbs then you need to eat morning tea/afternoon tea to avoid crashes due not enough blood glucose provided from your food.

When are you training exactly? And how are you training start a log in the members section of your current training to mark your progress but it also gives us an idea about you and how we can help you achieve what you want.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, lots of nuts and beans, some starchy food, and every day have some meat or fish, and some dairy. Try to spread the various foods throughout the day, eg it's better to have a piece of fruit at breakfast, lunch and dinner than 3 at breakfast then nothing for the rest of the day.

During your workout, drink a litre of milk. This will provide you with some quick energy for your workout, help recovery afterwards, and also some protein to help build or retain muscles. And of course, it also ensures you get fluids.

During a bulk, add 3 eggs and 100g skim milk powder to the milk.

Even my obese clients drink milk during workouts, though some prefer skim milk, and that's okay (same carbs, slightly less protein, less fat). And they still lose fat, because they have the rest of their diet sorted, and the milk gives them energy to work harder.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, lots of nuts and beans, some starchy food, and every day have some meat or fish, and some dairy. Try to spread the various foods throughout the day, eg it's better to have a piece of fruit at breakfast, lunch and dinner than 3 at breakfast then nothing for the rest of the day.

During your workout, drink a litre of milk. This will provide you with some quick energy for your workout, help recovery afterwards, and also some protein to help build or retain muscles. And of course, it also ensures you get fluids.

During a bulk, add 3 eggs and 100g skim milk powder to the milk.

Even my obese clients drink milk during workouts, though some prefer skim milk, and that's okay (same carbs, slightly less protein, less fat). And they still lose fat, because they have the rest of their diet sorted, and the milk gives them energy to work harder.

Im still not sold on the fat around training idea...

blood-cells---sticky2.jpg

For one reason whe we ingest fat our red blood cells become "sticky" and group together forming larger masses... Not all do this obviously but if you look at a drop of blood udner a microscope you will definetley see it.

Now when they are goruped together like this they dont "flow" as well through your cappilaries due to the shere size of them compared to the cappilarie.

Not many people know but the lymphatic system is what absorbs fat and disperses fat through our lymphatic system..

When we ingest simple carbs during training they are absorbed in the mouth and in the stomach, once you add fat,fibre,protein to this it is then moved onto the intestinal tract...

Thus carbs at training time replace muscle glycogen at a much faster rate then adding fat/protein.. This is why i only have very small amounts of wpc at training 9g.

Fadi can probably add on to this...

Thanks guys,

The metamucil was a quick way to add some fibre to my diet without having loads of fruit etc. If it does block mineral absorbtion then I will cut it out and maybe add some oats or other fibre to my breakfast.

My training starts with a 20min walk/run with my dogs at around 5pm. Theres definitely more walking than running as my dogs are getting on :)
Then I have dinner
I head to the gym around 6:30-7
My training is generally;
Mon: Chest/Tri/Squats
Tue: Cardio - walk/jog on treadmill, some light weight exercises
Wed: Back/Bi/Leg press
Thur: Cardio - as above
Friday - Deadlifts/Shoulders/Calves
I mix it up a little bit eg last night I did a heavy chest set (1x60X10,2x70x10,1x80x6,1x90x6,1x100x4)
Then a heavy leg press (1x100x15,1x140x10,3x200x5,1x120x10)
and was about to so a final set of (3x30x6) incline dumbell press when I almost passed out.

Last edited:
Im still not sold on the fat around training idea... [...]

Now when they are goruped together like this they dont "flow" as well through your cappilaries due to the shere size of them compared to the cappilarie.
Nice theory. In practice, everyone I have trained or advised who was previously having just water who switched to milk during their workouts has had increased energy, lifted heavier, and gained lean mass over the weeks and months following.

The obese and overweight ones have all lost fat, and those who've been to the doctor report better blood profiles for lipids.

It's almost as if our bodies were actually designed to handle some fat in our diets. Amazing.

Don't overthink it, boys and girls. Just eat good food, and have some good food around training time, too. It's a bit hard to have solid food unless you want it to come back up, so something liquid works well.

Maunded, your training is muddled. You need a basic full-body routine of a few exercises you stick to and progress on. There are oodles of them on the forum.

Nice theory. In practice, everyone I have trained or advised who was previously having just water who switched to milk during their workouts has had increased energy, lifted heavier, and gained lean mass over the weeks and months following.

The obese and overweight ones have all lost fat, and those who've been to the doctor report better blood profiles for lipids.

It's almost as if our bodies were actually designed to handle some fat in our diets. Amazing.

Don't overthink it, boys and girls. Just eat good food, and have some good food around training time, too. It's a bit hard to have solid food unless you want it to come back up, so something liquid works well.

Maunded, your training is muddled. You need a basic full-body routine of a few exercises you stick to and progress on. There are oodles of them on the forum.

You just compared water to milk where did i make that connection that water only was what was needed at training?

Also do not imply that i am saying we should not eat fat like you have done.. because that is incorrect.

Off course the obese ones have lost fat from eating properly and exercising... But we are dealing with athletes not obese people who anything is better then nothing. 2 very different classes of people.

What do you mean muddled? I thought it was a pretty standard split training system. I change it around every 4-5 weeks where I will do lower body one day, then upper the next weight day.
Are suggesting I do a full body every day, bench press, deadlift and squat, something like that? Or is it still every second day? Keep the cardio or dump it? What about rest.....argh its all too confusing :confused:

What do you mean muddled? I thought it was a pretty standard split training system.
Same thing.

Are suggesting I do a full body every day, bench press, deadlift and squat, something like that?
Yes.
Or is it still every second day?
Begin with 3 days a week with at least one full day in between, see how you go. Ordinary nutrition and rest can handle that. Some people train more, but they have really good nutrition, naps in the afternoon, massages and so on.

Keep the cardio or dump it? What about rest.....
On your non-lifting days, do some light to moderate cardio. An hour's brisk walk or cycle, half an hour's run or swim. And/or join some team sport.
argh its all too confusing :confused:
The basic principles are simple.
  • in every workout, do a deep knee-bend, pick something heavy up off the floor and put something heavy overhead - choose the same exercises each time, why? see next point
  • in every workout, do more than you did before - more weight, or more reps, or more sets. But keep it sane, make the weight increases small (eg more like 5kg and not 50kg), the reps should be more than 3 but less than 15, and the sets more than 1 but less than 10 for each exercise. It's hard to know if you're doing more if you keep changing the exercises.
  • so long as you can do more in every workout, stick to the same workout routine, don't change it when it's getting you results
  • always do warmup sets, and always stretch after the workout
  • do 1 workout a week to maintain, 2 or more to improve
  • do some light to moderate intensity cardio on your off days
  • eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, lots of nuts and beans
  • eat some meat or fish every day, and some dairy & eggs
  • have some starchy stuff, too
  • drink some milk during your workout to fuel it and help recovery; if you want to bulk up, add eggs and milk powder to this drink
  • if you get tired or hungry, eat more vegies; if you get tired and hungry, eat more vegies and more starchy stuff
  • if after a month you are overall bigger and wanted to be smaller, eat less; if smaller and wanted to be bigger, eat more; otherwise keep doing what you're doing
For most people going to the gym who want to "get fit, lose weight, tone up", that's about it.

As Dan John says, it's simple, but not easy.

IM A HUGE MILK FAN.....

But if i where to drink it while working out i reakon it would stay down about 2mins, kyle are you really drinking it ''WHILE'' your working out????

protein shake while working out just dissapears, I am glad I only have a 500ml drink on some days, or I would just drink till I hacked..

If I am desperate or have not had a good feed before gym I will grab a glass of cordial, a small amount of chocolate, or some fruit, and eat it on the way to gym, some days I simply have a coffee.. I find I perform best if I have some carbs a few hours before gym like rice or bread, and then a quick spike before i leave or on the way to gym.

as for the blood cells clumping heaps of things can do that, usually it is due to a reactive process (infection etc) you would need a fair amout of circulating lipds to really effect it i recon..But having said that I have seen some sickeningly fatty blood.

protein shake while working out just dissapears, I am glad I only have a 500ml drink on some days, or I would just drink till I hacked..

If I am desperate or have not had a good feed before gym I will grab a glass of cordial, a small amount of chocolate, or some fruit, and eat it on the way to gym, some days I simply have a coffee.. I find I perform best if I have some carbs a few hours before gym like rice or bread, and then a quick spike before i leave or on the way to gym.

as for the blood cells clumping heaps of things can do that, usually it is due to a reactive process (infection etc) you would need a fair amout of circulating lipds to really effect it i recon..But having said that I have seen some sickeningly fatty blood.

The idea of supplementation around workout time is carbs... Pure and simple, replace lost glycogen. Thats it... Fat slows down this process... You have only just started to tear muscle fibres nothing is going to be repairing yet. You have eaten properly all day you all ready have aminos in your liver especially if you had a pwo shake half hour before gym.

As for blood we all did a LBA and it was quite interesting to see some students blood especially before and after lunch... :p

Spot on nOObs ,i dont get the whole milk while your training thing?????
maybe be after ?? few hours before??
But theres no substitute for correct diet leading upto working out and then after.
If not kyle can someone explain if it is benifical to drink milk while working out??

Providing nutrients during the workout BUT its definitely not optimal. The fat will slow absorption plus the feeling of throwing up a litre of milk probably would not add to your intensity. Water, glucose a few EAA's or PP is a much better choice and not too much of it either.

I'll just through in my 2c worth. Ah, what the heck, i'll even give you $2.........

I"m a huge advocate of low carb / moderate- higher fat diets regardless of whatever conditioning you want. Fat loss, building mass, strength / power or general fitness. I feel that a diet of 50-60% of fat is optimal. I"ve been doing this for about 2 years now & feel better than ever.

I'm unsure if fat pre workout or a lower GI carb is better. At this stage I think their about equal. Is one better than the other? Perhaps.

If your talking about an intra (or peri) workout meal, you'll need a carb based meal. Fat takes too long to process & thus replace used up energy. I've been playing around with a drink Fadi suggests, a small portion of pro' with a larger portion of carbs.

As usual, it comes down to hormone control. Mainly insulin. But not just 'slin. You've got to consider growth hormone, testosterone, cholesterol........