• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can someone explain what the 5 x 5 training is?

L

lordoftime

Can someone please explain to me more about the 5 x 5 training method?

I am reading many different variations of it, so I am looking for more input.

I have recently rejoined a gym again (probably just over a month) and have now started to once again get back into training on a regular basis. The health issues I had over the last 3 years, did alot to me, and as a result, especially my upper body strength is really bad now. To put it bluntly, I suffered in agony :( for around the first 2 years.

I am 35 years old, body weight of about 100kg so now am seriously getting back into a training routine. IN a way I am more determined to get back my health and good strength, and to be a lot better than I was before, better than I ever been.

I am focusing on doing the main compound exercises like squats, deadlifts and so on, but am taking it slowly, which so far doesn't seem to be aggrevating my exisiting issues, which is good for me :D. So even though I suck at the moment, I am sure in time, things will be alot better.

SO how exactly does the 5x5 work? You do 5 sets 5 reps of the same weight until you can complete 5x5 for all, or you do like starting lighter, adding a heavier for the next set and so on?

Or is this something that each individual just tries and experiments what works for them?

I now know that it wasn't strenous activities that caused my issues, but some kind of viral/fungal infection that messed me up big time. Even though I live in chronic pain, and probably will for the rest of my life, I am fairly confident that getting back into a strength training program will be of benefit to me. Its just a matter of me working around my issues, on the good days I train, on the bad days I don't.

Last edited:
5 sets by 5 reps of the main compound excersizes. Each time you reach all reps on the sets, you add more weight and go again. Rinse and repeat.

There are many variations.

For example, 5x5 across - do some warmup sets of lighter weights, then the same weight on all 5 sets. When you can do 5 reps on all 5 sets, increase the weight. And so on. This is the way Stronglifts.com does it.

But there's also 5x5 ascending, where the first sets are the warmup sets, and you make the top weight only on the last set, or last few sets. I believe Rippetoe's Starting Strength uses something like this. I am doing a variation (see sig for journal) with 2x5 warmup sets, and 3x5 work sets on the same weight. For example, bench press 40kg x5, 60kg x5, then 80kg x3 x5.

There are also different combinations of exercises possible. They all boil down to wanting to work chest/shoulders, back/arms and legs at least once in every workout: one press motion for chest/shoulders, one pull motion for back, and one press or pull for legs.

For example,

Bench press (press for chest/shoulders)
Power clean (pull for back)
Squat (press for legs)

or

Overhead press (press for shoulders/chest)
Squat (press for legs)
Deadlift (pull for back and legs)

The reasoning behind choosing 5x5 as the set/rep range is that there is some evidence that 4-6 sets of 4-6 reps per large muscle group is the best range for building strength. So to make it simple they make it 5x5, easy to remember.

It's also the case that when people become fatigued, their form on an exercise breaks down. Beginners have relatively poor form because they've not had the practice, so their form breakdown will be particularly bad. Thus, doing just 5 reps allows them to keep okay form for more of the 5-25 work reps they're doing. That's the theory, anyway.

Experienced coaches argue about whether something like 5x5 is best for beginners, or something else - for example the Beginner's programme Markos has posted up, something like that used from the 1930s or earlier. That's experience - they argue what's best, and each has a lot of strong lifters come out of their programmes.

That's experience, what about lab science? Well, it seems that full-body or split, single or multiple set, 5 reps or 15 reps, it just doesn't make much difference if you take untrained people and have them do it for 6-12 weeks. So long as they stick to it, they'll get stronger. Some get stronger faster or slower, but remember that as well as the workout programmes they have diet and sleep and so on. A pair of identical twins on the same programme could get different results because of the other stuff.

From your post lordoftime, it seems you are effectively an untrained beginner. So for you the exact programme you choose is not as important as that you stick to it! Consistent effort over time gets results.

After those first 6-12 weeks, then different set and rep ranges get different results, and which you go for depends on your goals. However, the differences are not as great as people sometimes make out. For example, "I want to train for size not strength," well have you ever seen the guys in strongman competitions? Not weedy :)

Last edited:
From your post lordoftime, it seems you are effectively an untrained beginner. So for you the exact programme you choose is not as important as that you stick to it! Consistent effort over time gets results.

After those first 6-12 weeks, then different set and rep ranges get different results, and which you go for depends on your goals.

So what you are saying regardless of what I do, whether its 3x5, or 5x5, whatever I choose to start off with, just stick to it and work hard. And then change the style after a certain time frame

I should have also mentioned that prior to getting ill, I was regular training for a few years, mainly doing squats, bench press (never did much deadlifts in the past). But well, got seriously ill, had to stop what I was doing. So now I am just starting out again from scratch so to speak.

So what you are saying regardless of what I do, whether its 3x5, or 5x5, whatever I choose to start off with, just stick to it and work hard. And then change the style after a certain time frame
Yes, except about the timeframe. There's a minimum time - 4 weeks or so - before it's clear whether or not the workout programme is getting you results. But there's no maximum timeframe - if it's still getting you results 5 years from now, why change?

That said, most people find some small change is needed every few months.

I should add that diet and rest are as important a part of this. It doesn't matter how brilliant your workout programme is if you only get 4 hours' sleep a night and have no breakfast, Macca's for lunch and KFC for dinner. Many people expect the workout to do everything, but diet and rest are just as important. Training, diet and rest are the three legs to a tripod, which is the most important leg? Whichever one is broken :D

I should have also mentioned that prior to getting ill, I was regular training for a few years, mainly doing squats, bench press (never did much deadlifts in the past). But well, got seriously ill, had to stop what I was doing. So now I am just starting out again from scratch so to speak.
If you had gains in the past, you will probably find they're a bit quicker to come by than last time. There seems to exist a "muscle memory", this is not much studied by science but experienced people agree on it.

I should add that diet and rest are as important a part of this. It doesn't matter how brilliant your workout programme is if you only get 4 hours' sleep a night and have no breakfast, Macca's for lunch and KFC for dinner. Many people expect the workout to do everything, but diet and rest are just as important. Training, diet and rest are the three legs to a tripod, which is the most important leg? Whichever one is broken :D

My sleeping is so messed up. FOr many years now, I have had sleeping issues (probably all related to my existing issues). I actually often to struggle to get a good nights sleep. See I am not a deep sleeper, never have been, usually the slightest of sounds can wake me. My diet is good as I have had to change my diet over the years anyways, I rarely ever eat out now.