• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calf stiff/swollen

jtaw

Hey guys

I did a calf session on Thursday, and a full leg session yesterday morning. No abnormality until yesterday arvo.

From yesterday afternoon, my right calf is swollen and super stiff. I can't put my right foot flat on the ground without feeling a slightly painful stretch all the way through my leg. So I'm walking (involuntarily) with my right heel elevated and my knee slightly bent. If I try and put my foot flat on the ground, I can't bend my knee out straight without feeling a little bit of pain.

Is this just a lactic acid thing or should I be concerned? Mind you I hadn't done my calves using the leg press before.

The left one is no where near as bad, slightly stiff but not swollen at all.

Advice appreciated!

Hmm well it'd be difficult to tell.

As it's the first time you've done this exercise and worked your calf muscles in this way, sounds like it might just be lactic acid/DOMS to me.

Hot showers, massage the area to warm it up and loosen the tension, some light stretching.

A couple of days and you should be fine ;)

Could be your achilies tendon where it joins on the calf muscle, maybe you tore it a bit........the swelling makes me think it isn't DOMS. I've never swollen up from DOMS, just got sore.

Ended up going and getting a physio to check it out yesterday, it was just doms..intensity of the calf workout and leg workout in close proximity caused it. Glad it wasn't anything serious. Feeling a bit silly for freaking out!

Ended up going and getting a physio to check it out yesterday, it was just doms..intensity of the calf workout and leg workout in close proximity caused it. Glad it wasn't anything serious. Feeling a bit silly for freaking out!
better to be safe than sorry lol :)
good to hear that its nothing serious

Glad to hear it jtaw!

Hope it feels better now :)