• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Butt wink is not about the hamstrings

Um. No. Its the hammies. Or it least, its tight hammies in most cases. I've seen too many instant butt wink cures by hammy stretches to be convinced otherwise.

Really good article mate.

I definitely have a forward position acetabulum. That description was spot on for my squat and hip extension.

Going to use that drill in my warmups for class next week too.

Great article, I was told I had a slight butt wink a while back... and guess what my hamstrings are flexible as.

My hips are the problem, went through a heap of different stretching and got on to box squats and it has helped a lot... But reading that article maybe I'm just not born to squat deep :( haha!

Thanks for the article!

It is a good article, and my missus may be struggling to reach depth because of this....now how do i find out if my hips bones are weird? Spose I'll have to see if I have any X-rays!! lol

Last edited:
Will read article later. All I know is I stopped caring about the butt wink and eventually it went away. Now I don't even squat.

Ok. So as to not be a complete dickwad, I have read the article. I want 15min of my life back. It's horseshit.

First off, it acknowledges, continuously, even if it is in a backhanded manner, that stretching out your hams will help alleviate buttwink. However, it places most of the blame on skeletal limits of the hip socket. If that were a real problem, no one with those issues would be able to squat, unweighted, "like a chinaman (no racial slur intended, Asians just can squat like on one else). Also, having bone on bone would have you, pretty quickly, in agony. That's what arthritis is.

The article uses lots and lots of big strange words so it must be true. Ooooops. No. It's horseshit.

Granted, tight hamstrings are not the only issue that causes buttwink. There are other muscles at the top of the pelvis that may be very weak (part of that vague thing referred to as "the core") allowing the pelvis to tilt. in that case, no matter how flexible your hams are, once you get a load on you will get that tilt. It's like the old 2 man (feminazis can call them 2 person) band saw. If one guy does not do his part, the saw gets stuck. You gotta have both ends working properly.

Yes, the hams do, it appears, work different to similar muscles like the biceps. But they are still muscles and still work under tension. That's what muscles do. So having hams that are tight will obviously cause some sort of issue.

Now, another point that the article totally missed was that there is a difference between tight and flexible. A big difference. You can have people who can not only touch their toes but put their palms on the floor with locked knees. They are flexible. That does not mean that their hams are not tight. It just means that they, as a total unit, are flexible. You can be flexible but still have tight hams. You can do a full arse to grass squat, weighted or unweighted, but still have tight quads. Tightness does not necessarily mean inflexible.

As I said previously, I have personally seen severe buttwink either disappear completely or be greatly alleviate by gentle, persistant hamstring stretches. Do a stretch between every warm up set and between every work set and you will find, in most cases, that the problem is resolved. If you do this persistently over weeks and months, you will find that you have fewer problems.

If you do have a problem (weakness) with the muscles attached to the upper edge of the pelvis (the hammies are attached to the bottom edge) then no matter what you do with the hammies you will still get that tilt.

The article suffers from the normal bullshititis that plagues the interwebs. You get a web site or blog running and, in order to survive, you have to post regular, even daily, articles. Otherwise you end up with a stagnant cesspool of a site like Jim Wendler's. So you gotta fill that gap with stuff like tempo training, get huge in 4 weeks or Buttwink is not about the hams. Like T-nation.

If you can rock back without getting buttwink then its not hams? Sure as shit aint hips either.

I'm more than happy to be pounded into the ground and proven wrong. But from my experience, dat aint gonna happen.

Ooh. Bat signal is up again. Gotta go. The city needs me.

img_TUbC44.jpg

It's not one thing or the other ffs.

The squat is pretty amazing, there's a whole lot of things going on, and to a beginner It's not surprising that shit happens with the increased range of motion of joints.

You're taking them (under load) to places where they not have been before. (Or not for a long time.)

Start light and take your time to adjust is my mantra.

Ok. So as to not be a complete dickwad, I have read the article. I want 15min of my life back. It's horseshit.

First off, it acknowledges, continuously, even if it is in a backhanded manner, that stretching out your hams will help alleviate buttwink. However, it places most of the blame on skeletal limits of the hip socket. If that were a real problem, no one with those issues would be able to squat, unweighted, "like a chinaman (no racial slur intended, Asians just can squat like on one else). Also, having bone on bone would have you, pretty quickly, in agony. That's what arthritis is.

The article uses lots and lots of big strange words so it must be true. Ooooops. No. It's horseshit.

Granted, tight hamstrings are not the only issue that causes buttwink. There are other muscles at the top of the pelvis that may be very weak (part of that vague thing referred to as "the core") allowing the pelvis to tilt. in that case, no matter how flexible your hams are, once you get a load on you will get that tilt. It's like the old 2 man (feminazis can call them 2 person) band saw. If one guy does not do his part, the saw gets stuck. You gotta have both ends working properly.

Yes, the hams do, it appears, work different to similar muscles like the biceps. But they are still muscles and still work under tension. That's what muscles do. So having hams that are tight will obviously cause some sort of issue.

Now, another point that the article totally missed was that there is a difference between tight and flexible. A big difference. You can have people who can not only touch their toes but put their palms on the floor with locked knees. They are flexible. That does not mean that their hams are not tight. It just means that they, as a total unit, are flexible. You can be flexible but still have tight hams. You can do a full arse to grass squat, weighted or unweighted, but still have tight quads. Tightness does not necessarily mean inflexible.

As I said previously, I have personally seen severe buttwink either disappear completely or be greatly alleviate by gentle, persistant hamstring stretches. Do a stretch between every warm up set and between every work set and you will find, in most cases, that the problem is resolved. If you do this persistently over weeks and months, you will find that you have fewer problems.

If you do have a problem (weakness) with the muscles attached to the upper edge of the pelvis (the hammies are attached to the bottom edge) then no matter what you do with the hammies you will still get that tilt.

The article suffers from the normal bullshititis that plagues the interwebs. You get a web site or blog running and, in order to survive, you have to post regular, even daily, articles. Otherwise you end up with a stagnant cesspool of a site like Jim Wendler's. So you gotta fill that gap with stuff like tempo training, get huge in 4 weeks or Buttwink is not about the hams. Like T-nation.

If you can rock back without getting buttwink then its not hams? Sure as shit aint hips either.

I'm more than happy to be pounded into the ground and proven wrong. But from my experience, dat aint gonna happen.

Ooh. Bat signal is up again. Gotta go. The city needs me.

img_TUbC44.jpg

You somehow managed to not address any of the points made by the article

Maybe they don’t have the stability at that position of their squat? If they only have 2 feet on the ground that’s a much less stable position than hanging from a TRX or handle, and much less stable front to back than if they were to hold a dumbbell in a goblet position and squat to a box.

Wheeldog has no feet