• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bulk cooking healthy meals

Apart from cooking faster my knowledge on pressure cookers is limited. I like my slow cooker too much so haven't bothered with a pressure cooker yet.

Got one today not a fuckin clue what to do with it lol

The big advantage of pressure cookers are that they cook faster. I cooked a bunch of lentils, not soaked in 7min. Of course, it takes a while to come up to pressure. The bigger the pressure cooker the longer it takes. That's why I have two sizes.

Because of the higher pressure the temperature in pressure cooker is a lot higher then it usually would be.

It uses less energy, it also suits my lifestyle better. I don't have time in the morning to prepare ingredients in slow cooker. My commute to work is about 1.5-2hours each way. It's nice to be able to blast a cut of gravy beef or chuck stake into tender meal in 30min after work.

They are 2nd best method to retain nutrients in your food after steam cooking. The worst is microwave and slow cooker are slightly better. It's to do with the amount of time you expose the food to heat. The longer the Moore vitamins are lost. Microwave are worst for different reason all together.

There's a lot more...

Could u hook a brother up with some basics? I got a 6 litre
Electric one

Could u hook a brother up with some basics? I got a 6 litre
Electric one

Lot's of recipes out there. You should find out first (if you can) what pressure it makes, usually electric ones don't make as much pressure as stove top (mine has 15psi and 8.5psi settings). Usually electric ones would be around 8.5psi, it means that your cooking time will be a bit longer.

First of all, don't ever fill it up to the top, it usually says fill it up 2/3 full, but I did 3/4 full in mine and was fine. Also be careful if you add beans/legumes, then usually don't go above 1/2 or even 1/3 full, since they can clog the pressure relief.

Anyway, beginner basics:
Beginners Workshop

Cooking times for meat:
Meat, Poultry and Egg Timing Charts

Cooking times for veg:
Fresh Or Frozen Vegetable Timing Charts

Yesterday, I cooked sweet potatoes for 6min (peeled and chopped). Then I did broccoli for 1min.

Beans:
Varieties of Dried Beans for Pressure Cookers

Rice:
Pressure Cooker Rice Cooking Timing Charts

Be warned, all the times are for 15psi, I think you might need to use around 25% longer if you have lower setting. You might have to try it out first with some veg first to get rough estimate.

As for recipes here are couple:
Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe | Makobi Scribe

Pressure Cooker Rosemary Veal Stew – a hug in a bowl | hip pressure cooking

Beef And Red Wine Ragu Recipe - Taste.com.au

A Feast for the Eyes: Beef Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) - Pressure Cooker Style

It all depends what you like to eat.

Tonight I'm making beef stock, 3kg of beef bones + cellery + onion + parsnip + pepper + garlic. Cook it for 40min.
I divide and freeze the beef stock for later.

I will use this beef stock to make ratatouille:
1 onion
1 large eggplant
2 zucchinis
2 green capsicums
2 red capsicums
Thyme
Oregano
Salt
Pepper

Fry chopped onion in olive oil until golden.
Add eggplant and fry it a bit until it browns slightly.
Throw in rest of ingredients (herbs, salt and pepper to taste).
Top up with the above beef stock, around 2 cups until just covered. (some veg can stick out).

Cook it under pressure for 15min, release pressure. Done.

Lot's of recipes out there. You should find out first (if you can) what pressure it makes, usually electric ones don't make as much pressure as stove top (mine has 15psi and 8.5psi settings). Usually electric ones would be around 8.5psi, it means that your cooking time will be a bit longer.

First of all, don't ever fill it up to the top, it usually says fill it up 2/3 full, but I did 3/4 full in mine and was fine. Also be careful if you add beans/legumes, then usually don't go above 1/2 or even 1/3 full, since they can clog the pressure relief.

Anyway, beginner basics:

Beginners Workshop

Cooking times for meat:

Meat, Poultry and Egg Timing Charts

Cooking times for veg:

Fresh Or Frozen Vegetable Timing Charts

Yesterday, I cooked sweet potatoes for 6min (peeled and chopped). Then I did broccoli for 1min.

Beans:

Varieties of Dried Beans for Pressure Cookers

Rice:

Pressure Cooker Rice Cooking Timing Charts

Be warned, all the times are for 15psi, I think you might need to use around 25% longer if you have lower setting. You might have to try it out first with some veg first to get rough estimate.

As for recipes here are couple:

Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe | Makobi Scribe

Pressure Cooker Rosemary Veal Stew – a hug in a bowl | hip pressure cooking

Beef And Red Wine Ragu Recipe - Taste.com.au

A Feast for the Eyes: Beef Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) - Pressure Cooker Style

It all depends what you like to eat.

Tonight I'm making beef stock, 3kg of beef bones + cellery + onion + parsnip + pepper + garlic. Cook it for 40min.

I divide and freeze the beef stock for later.

I will use this beef stock to make ratatouille:

1 onion

1 large eggplant

2 zucchinis

2 green capsicums

2 red capsicums

Thyme

Oregano

Salt

Pepper

Fry chopped onion in olive oil until golden.

Add eggplant and fry it a bit until it browns slightly.

Throw in rest of ingredients (herbs, salt and pepper to taste).

Top up with the above beef stock, around 2 cups until just covered. (some veg can stick out).

Cook it under pressure for 15min, release pressure. Done.

Thabks man, all i want to do is throw chicken and rice in there and walk away lol can you do both at once?

Borrowed a pressure cooker. Piece of shit. Cooks slower than I was hoping. Burnt the bottom, can't check when it's done. Tastes pretty bland compared to slow cooker.

Not going to bother with one. Slow cooker wins this round for me.

Borrowed a pressure cooker. Piece of shit. Cooks slower than I was hoping. Burnt the bottom, can't check when it's done. Tastes pretty bland compared to slow cooker.

Not going to bother with one. Slow cooker wins this round for me.

My guess it's a case of not reading instructions before using one... if some of the best french food is made in them, I guess it's nothing wrong with the appliance, but with the user.

You have to choose the times etc... and make sure there's enough water. It's far from automatic.

I cooked a corned beef. Which was ok, how can you fuck that up really, just took a long time.

Last night tried a stroganoff and it was ok apart from being burnt on the bottom but tasted very bland compared to normal. Same recipe that I use in the slow cooker. And took forever to come up to pressure.

Got another corned beef to do tonight before I give it back.

I was interested in one because of the speed of cooking. Might look at a stove top one.

The stove tops have higher pressure. With stroganoff, if you thicken the sauce, you got to do it after you finish cooking it. Otherwise it will burn.
If it tastes blend, do you add enough salt, I season after it cooks? I usually add a bit of wine for taste to my stroganoff.

Anyway, here's the burning of the bottom issue:
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/forums/topic/beef-stroganoff-great-recipe-needs-help/

here's the recipe that comes with my pressure cooker:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PauVkg2lSYz4mJWlKfVO9ImTVyGDKq-gqA8wN23guwQ/edit#

Corned beef (I have never cooked it before, so I can't comment):
http://premeditatedleftovers.com/recipes-cooking-tips/how-to-cook-corned-beef-in-a-pressure-cooker/
http://www.pressurecooker.com.au/corned-beef-recipe
These recipes are for stove top type cookers and takes 40-50min to cook under 15psi pressure. With electric you are looking at 7psi and a lot longer times.

If you look at getting stove top, I recommend Fagor, since they reach highest pressure of 15psi, while other brands advertise that number and only get up to 11-13psi.

Like I said same recipe from the slow cooker. Salt isn't the problem.

Not sold on the benefits over slow cooker yet. Don't take it personally. Just my useless opinion.

Thanks for the tips though.

Usually you have to adjust liquids between slow cooker and pressure cooker, since there's barely any evaporation in pressure cooker. In slower cooker water slowly evaporates for half a day. So you will end up with a lot more watery mixture. I would be looking up more at pressure cooking recipes instead of using ones for slow cooker.

Slow cookers are the bomb, love lamb when it slides off the bone as you are taking it out off the cooker, also beef Rogan josh is heaven, I get 2 big plates and about 4 extra meals out of one batch, 3/4kg beef 800g tinned tomatoes 1 onion, carrot/potatoes and 1/4 glass of pataks Rogan josh paste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got given a slow cooker and wanna try it out with some lamb and other meats. So would slow cooking only preserves macros, no micros? I want vitamins too!