• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Building a Lifting Platform for Home Gym

No issues at all, the platform I build is perfect for what I use it for, and it gets used a fair bit, as a matter of fact will be used in about half an hour.:)

As someone looking at building a home gym in a garage this thread has been a huge help, so thanks in advance! (now I just have to worry about all the other details!)

How important is the structure, rather than just plywood under rubber?, if i was to, for example.

Floor an entire concrete 2.5x4m area with 15mm rubber 1sqm mats
Get 2 more 1sq m mats and glue a 1sqm peice of plywood to the back of each one and place these under where the weights will impact when deadlifting... would this do the trick?

(I'm not very handy... AT ALL)

I've heard that won't actually distribute the load.....

It doesn't distribute the load, but it does reduce the shock loading for the floor underneath by a considerable amount (due to the rubber 'damping' the drop of the plates).

You'll be better off with the plywood and rubber idea that you've suggested, but keep in mind what a few people have noted - the difference in heights. Those plates are going to sit around 30mm+ higher than your feet.

Another option; more stable, but bulkier, (and a way to bring that difference down to around 15mm) if you aren't handy (and don't want to try and become handy) is to purchase a sheet of ply 2400x1200, get it trimmed down to 2000*1000, and just glue half of a 1m*1m rubber matt to it.

You'll need to use something like Fulaprene 303 or Soudal Fix All for sticking down the mats - most generic hardware adhesives (Nailbond, Liquid Nails, No More Nails, Constructions Adhesive) won't have both the flexibility and adhesion for durability under those mats.

So;

1x Ply 2400*1200*(15-18)mm (cut to 2000x1000mm)
1x Rubber Matt 1000*1000*~15mm (cut in half)
1x Fulaprene 303 or Soudal Fix All

You should get away for around $100, and it'll be darn easy to construct. Stanley Knife (preferably solid trapezoidal blade not a snap-knife), and a Caulking Gun are the only non-consumable tools that you'll need.

It doesn't distribute the load, but it does reduce the shock loading for the floor underneath by a considerable amount (due to the rubber 'damping' the drop of the plates).

You'll be better off with the plywood and rubber idea that you've suggested, but keep in mind what a few people have noted - the difference in heights. Those plates are going to sit around 30mm+ higher than your feet.

Another option; more stable, but bulkier, (and a way to bring that difference down to around 15mm) if you aren't handy (and don't want to try and become handy) is to purchase a sheet of ply 2400x1200, get it trimmed down to 2000*1000, and just glue half of a 1m*1m rubber matt to it.

You'll need to use something like Fulaprene 303 or Soudal Fix All for sticking down the mats - most generic hardware adhesives (Nailbond, Liquid Nails, No More Nails, Constructions Adhesive) won't have both the flexibility and adhesion for durability under those mats.

So;

You should get away for around $100, and it'll be darn easy to construct. Stanley Knife (preferably solid trapezoidal blade not a snap-knife), and a Caulking Gun are the only non-consumable tools that you'll need.

Where would I glue the half mat?? quarter each end?
Another problem is bringing a 2m long piece of plywood home in the car

Yeah, so you'd have a 500*1000 rectangle at each end, with a 1m wide gap in the centre for you to stand.

If you've got a tow ball, bunnings does have those cheap ass trailers - or depending on the car, it may fit from the boot through and sitting above your head, if you slouch in the seat. Not overly safe, but you do what you gotta :-D

So;

Or save cutting and get the sheet of ply and buy two mats and glue them to the ply, will work well on a timber floor, of you want glue some old carpet to the underside as well.

I made the ends taller for extra weight distribution on tiles, as I don't want to smash any tiles while dead lifting, and my plates are smaller diameter than standard olympic style plates.

I'm actually thinking 3x 1sq m ply with 15mm rubber, then I can stand on the middle one... They won't actually be attached to each other though .... Is this a problem?

you want them to be attached - don't want them sliding apart on you mid squat/deadlift

you can double the layers and screw them together on the overlaps-
bottom - 3x1m
top - 2x1.5m
or something like that

would that happen?, the platforms will be on an overall 15mm rubber floor, and the middle platform will be inside my power rack, the outer two platforms outside the power rack, i don't want to put the power rack ON a platform, as it then has to extend out past the end of it for the bench etc.
the middle platform won't be able to move far each side due to the edge of the rack, the outer ones could move, but to move enough for the weights to miss them during a set?, when on rubber?

would that happen?, the platforms will be on an overall 15mm rubber floor, and the middle platform will be inside my power rack, the outer two platforms outside the power rack, i don't want to put the power rack ON a platform, as it then has to extend out past the end of it for the bench etc.
the middle platform won't be able to move far each side due to the edge of the rack, the outer ones could move, but to move enough for the weights to miss them during a set?, when on rubber?

Once you lift the weight off them, what gives them a propensity to move? Nothin.

If you aren't putting them down on a smooth floor, and slamming bounced Deadlifts all day long, they won't move.

The big problem is that you started talking about a Deadlift platform, which we all tried to help with.

Now you just want bumpers and a step to fit around a power rack. Your three part idea will work the best - one sheet 2400x1200 and one sheet 1200x1200 cut down to 3 of 1000x1000x(15-18) with mats glued to the top with the recommended adhesive will work.

Excellent... will standard structural ply in a single layer under the rubber do the trick? (12mm i've found on bunnings website)

Excellent... will standard structural ply in a single layer under the rubber do the trick? (12mm i've found on bunnings website)

I would go for 15-18mm.

Standard structural ply (AB/BC/CD, A-Bond type stuff) will do the job, but a 12mm standard ply is usually only a 5-7 ply. If it is proper structural 12mm (which is a 7-9 ply no void), yeah, it should be ok. Keep in mind though, that you only ever want to build these platforms once (if you use good glue, that rubber ain't going anywhere).

I'd personally use a 15-18mm 9-11 ply, but I guess your budget it going to be the limiting factor. If you're using either 15mm+, with rubber mats above and below, it won't be absolutely necessary to use structural. If you want 12mm though, definitely.

Last edited:
Unless your platform will be exposed to the elements, moisture etc, non-structural plywood is more than up to the task for this application and is much cheaper too. A plywood grade of CD is ideal, but DD will also work if the budget is tight and you don't mind a few more defects in the plywood. Best have a look at them and make your own mind up on the spot.

Try to avoid the yellow tonged particle board flooring mentioned earlier, if you can. It will get you out of trouble but plywood is created in a much stronger fashion and will offer much greater impact protection and thus load transfer when heavy weights are dropped on it.

When gluing timber to timber, PVA and Maxbond will get you out of trouble but is not ideal under heavy impacts due to becoming brittle once dry. A polyurethane adhesive such as Sikaflex 11FC and Bostik AV515 will bond forever and be far more resilient to impacts. Most good hardware stores stock Sikaflex, but the AV515 is best sourced via the Bostik website.

NOTE: Wear disposable gloves (packs of 25 from Woolies or Coles for about $5) with either of these glues - they wont damage your skin in anyway but the Sika will stain your skin for a few days and the AV5151 leaves a fine residue that peals off in a day or so and is as sticky as shit if you get it on your fingers when wet. Not to mention, once on your bare skin, they will transfer to everything you touch -and I mean everything.

Gluing the rubber down is best done with a Contact Adhesive, preferably non drip and applied with a 3mm notch trowel to both surfaces before bringing together. Just make sure the gluing face of the rubber is free of wax and dirt. A light scouring with sandpaper and a wipe with turps will ensure it wont come unstuck.

A slightly thinner, high density mat, say 10mm, laminated to the entire underside of the base will not only further protect the building's floor, further resist the platform from sliding around, and it will also lessen the noise of weights being dropped - if noise is of concern.

PS: I have no affiliation with any of the above products. I'm just a passionate Carpenter/Builder trying to help out keen DIY'ers wanting to have a go.

sorry to bring up an old thread/hijack but I plan on building a 1m x 3m wide platform which I can move away when not needed. What I plan to do is use 50mm thick rubber mats on each end and have a 1m^2 wooden part.

So I just had a few questions:

1) If I increase the thickness of the plyboard by cutting it in half and sticking the two halves together to double the thickness would that have any negative impacts?

2) Would it be better (more stable) to lift off just the wooden surface by itself compared to lifting off the increased thickness plyboard PLUS 15mm rubber mats on top of it?

[MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION] ; Hey mate, you got them pictures laying around still? Wouldn't mind a look, thinking about building a platform within the next month or so