• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bro Science

But that's exactly what broscience is - "non scientists" who have performed real world testing, drawn conclusions from it, and then get told otherwise by actual scientists who wear lab coats and have never done any real world testing...

No it's not.

Using firefox? It sometimes saves my posts :)

Nah i mat the mrs using I.E

SO pissed off It had references and everything...

Anyway Foot notes..

Before we can assess broscience we need to determin what it actually is.

Remember proof of somehting can be either anecdotal as in it has been done before and is known, measurable be it specific /scientific or simply a change in parameters that can show how the origonal change influeced the results. I.e changing trianing diet.

I think alot of broscience refers to simply myths or the likes that have come aobut mainly from supplenment manufacturers...

Broscience in terms of not scientific but real world results is sometimes the best thing we had. As ghosty gave an example.

Another is adding muscle mass..

Increasing Muscle Mass : Australian Institute of Sport : Australian Sports Commission

Do i follow those reccomendations because they are scientificly based? Or do i do what has been done because anecdotaly it has been shown to be more beenfitial for what i want to do?

But as stated definebro science then we can discuss it further.

The thing is here people are assuming real world results cannot be scientific.

Use PTC as an example.

Markos trains people with the goal of getting them stronger. He implements his methods and they get stronger, the results are repeatable with many people. Therefore we can say Makos methods get people stronger. This is scientific. It may not be published in a journal but it is still using sound scientific method.

But markos looks like a bro.

have you seen him?
shaved head, tats, tracksuit, clipboard, ethnic...

it doesn't get much more bro than that..

The thing is here people are assuming real world results cannot be scientific.

Use PTC as an example.

Markos trains people with the goal of getting them stronger. He implements his methods and they get stronger, the results are repeatable with many people. Therefore we can say Makos methods get people stronger. This is scientific. It may not be published in a journal but it is still using sound scientific method.

It depends bazza...

I can say the same applies to a homeopathic clinic. For example blackmores create a product called celoids (google them).

They are basically similar to tissue salts (homeopathic minerals) students clients and other practitioners swear by them in clinic. Me personally i call it a crock of shit because if someone is magnesium defficient i dont understand how giving them 1mg of elemental magnesium is going to correct a defficiency when a theraputic dosage may be 800-1g daily!

I believe there has to be at least SOME basic concept as to why something should be plausable. I am a very big believer in placebo (biology of belief is interesting read).

We know why markos training works coupled with proper nutrition hard training = results.

Markos doesnt turn around and say now if we train on full moon the the gravitional effect on the earth will be greater thus your muscles will grow up instead of down or some reubbish.

We can expect a result from something plausable...

Noobs in relation to what you are saying. Extraordinary results require extraordinary evidence.

Markos saying that by doing lots of squats, deads and bench you will get stronger is not that strange a claim.

But some homeopath saying that magic water is going to cure people of there illness and not just be placebo is going to need much more evidence than a few clients saying it worked for them.

n00bs i think you'd get on well with this girl :p
[YOUTUBE]wyrFWbGiGOc[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah you should see my crystal collection!

But in all seriousness... What is she defining as energy? There is energy in everything... Electrons people.

I dont think you can doubt things i actually speak about have merit or at least some form of credability. This whole positive energy ( in regards to emotion that is ) simply doesnt make any logical sense what so ever. I mean plants dont 'feel' alot of animals dont 'feel' they simply dont have the capacity too. Much like the human mind canot generally comprehend such things as existence/death/ neverending of the universe ( not all people).

Some people simply feel too much about everything (insert mooncrystalairgirl).

Noobs in relation to what you are saying. Extraordinary results require extraordinary evidence.

Markos saying that by doing lots of squats, deads and bench you will get stronger is not that strange a claim.

But some homeopath saying that magic water is going to cure people of there illness and not just be placebo is going to need much more evidence than a few clients saying it worked for them.

Yes i understand that..

But it is 1 thing to understand human physiology and say, well for example when you are sick this function of the body uses more of such and such vitamin. So increasing this vitamin intake will then allow the body to have the amount needed to perform its job.

Thats far far different to saying the vitamin goes inside and has a mission to attack the negative energy in the body from all the neagtive energy in the sickness and it will selectivley target this sickness and remove it.

From what i understand of homeopathy, the idea is that u take something that causes your symptoms. Because it is so minute your body deals with it on such a 'small' level and can overcome this problem. Because it overcomes this problem it can then overcome what is causing the larger problem. So if sleep is your problem apparently they give u caffeine in small amounts to correct this.

Well that all sounds well and good. But if you are N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine defficient because of improper l-tryptophan metabolism into 5hydroxytryptophan> 5-hydroxytryptamine then finally into N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine due to lack of pyrodoxine. Then i dont understand how taking small amounts of caffeine is some how going to fix this underlaying biochemical problem.

Im not aobut smoke and mirrors... My points with science/vs bro science is sometimes science needs to catch up to the real world, and it is happening now though it is never quit there. Alot of people in clinical practice are usually ahead of latest guidelines because they see patients and know what is going on. Science usually looks at 1 variable at a time.. Sometimes it is a fucking shit load.

Im not about crystals, shakras, or voodoo magic.. I am about common sense and what is through clinical practice but at least have some sort of rationale as to why it works and be at least plausable.... I cant find a clinical study that specifically says MILK FUCKS WITH CHRISTIANS SLEEP. But i know it does and i can find other articles to back why exactly that is.

That is the problem with the whole thing. People dont know how to dig or understand multiple body systems to know what is going on so when they google CHRISTIAN CANT SLEEP and cant find exactly an answer they deem it nonsense.

Christian, if you cant sleep, try some of Gawains protein, Total Science, 90 minutes before bed, you'll sleep like a log.

I know one guy who took it, started growing hair again

Another amputee had a leg grow back. I know thats not amazing, but it was an arm he had amputated.

Now THATS amazing.

Total Science, redifining amazing

Christian, if you cant sleep, try some of Gawains protein, Total Science, 90 minutes before bed, you'll sleep like a log.

Another amputee had a leg grow back. I know thats not amazing, but it was an arm he had amputated.

Now THATS amazing.

? lol?

Now THATS amazing.

More crude advertising may result in bannings. :p j/k

Seriously Markos, don't get pissed off because I questioned the price of your good buddy's protein.

It's my opinion that it is overpriced and I'm entitled to my opinion.

This is the second or third thread where you have now mentioned this.

There may be more but I haven't read all the threads yet, but I will.;)

More crude advertising may result in bannings. :p j/k

Seriously Markos, don't get pissed off because I questioned the price of your good buddy's protein.

It's my opinion that it is overpriced and I'm entitled to my opinion.

This is the second or third thread where you have now mentioned this.

There may be more but I haven't read all the threads yet, but I will.;)

surely as a moderator, you should have stayed on the topic of the thread I had started.

as for price, it is cheaper than ON 10lb bag of protein which is one of the most sold brands anywhere.

on a public forum I asked if anyone else LOCAL TO ME wanted some of what I had already decided to buy to save on postage costs or maybe a saving for a bulk order.

I didn't ask for peoples opinions on price compared to their 30kg bag for what ever it was.

If I wanted what you were buying I would have asked if anyone wanted to order that.

Just an opinion but to stray off topic, then get all defensive and locking a thread that had nothing to do with you or breaking any rules of the forum seems like a shit thing to do as a moderator.

but hey, calling you a c**t and then putting :p makes it ok right c**t? :p

ON is $165 delivered for 4.5kg, total science is $215 delivered for 5kg...

Last edited:
Very apt that ON came up in a broscience thread. Don't want to get in on the debate about the proteins, but you can't compare a product that is shipped from US to one locally, or one that is the most know brand in the world vs one that is unheard of. Advertising comprises a massive amount of the supp companies pricing.