• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bringing up your legs

One thing I am thinking though, is that a routine will only really work for 3 weeks before you need to change it, so adding in some post-fatigue (extra) work will cause a lot more hypertrophy. Leg press works well for quads and you can vary the foot position every 3 weeks to get a different stimulus, change the tempo etc. You will be getting plenty of work from ]

I'm with hamburgler on this one. This is fucking terrible advise. All it will lead to is minimal progress and just swapping programs every couple weeks.

For a beginner its not that hard. Pick a rep range and stick with it. Don't make it so difficult and go all ADD swapping programs every 5 seconds. Simple tends to work better especially for squats.

Do the BASICS.

Train for both types of hypertrophy - sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. Do that and you will grow.

Do the BASICS.

Train for both types of hypertrophy - sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. Do that and you will grow.

So do high (sarco) and low (myo) reps?

Edit: Ok, so I think I'll just keep squatting 3x per week at 10 reps. My main concern is that my quads and hams are responding but my calves aren't, which only makes them look smaller :\ So I've added direct calve work, 3x16.

Last edited:
Man, you got my heart going here! It's 3x8 and 3x10 and not the other way around. Weights first, followed by sets, and last are the reps. Of course you may have it as you wish, but I just like to make sure that we're on the same page with the sets and reps, or else you'd be following an Olympic weightlifter's program (with a slight variation) than you would be a bodybuilder's program!

Thank you.
Fadi.

Sorry Fadi!

So do high (sarco) and low (myo) reps?

Edit: Ok, so I think I'll just keep squatting 3x per week at 10 reps. My main concern is that my quads and hams are responding but my calves aren't, which only makes them look smaller :\ So I've added direct calve work, 3x16.

Correct.

Most studies have shown best results are stimulated by a muscle being under tension for a total of 40-60 repetitions over a duration of a workout.

I'm not saying that you need to change routines every 3 weeks, just add variety

I'm not saying that you need to change routines every 3 weeks, just add variety

No. Just squat more.

Variety is permissible when you're no longer a beginner and you actually know what you're doing. Stick to the basics before then.