• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bodypart split - monday, wed, thur, fri

linkiiin

i have only monday, wed, thur, friday available to go to the gym. i wonder how to divide bodyparts:

monday - legs
off
wednesday - chest/triceps
thursday - back/biceps
friday - shoulders/calves
off
off

is that ok?

MONDAY:
Squats 5x5-10
Leg Extensions: 3x15
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

WEDNESDAY:
Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Cambered bar Skullcrushers 4x6-10

THURSDAY:
Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
BB Curl 4x8-12

FRIDAY: Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10
Standing Calf Raise 4x10

rest between sets 1-2 min isos 2-5 min compounds

250 protein, 3500-3600 kcal, bulking

How long have you been doing this program? if your getting results. keep doing it if not, id be looking at something else

IMO upper/lower would work better

Regardless of that there is f*ck all volume on each day considering the lack of frequency

What are your lifts like?

Something like a modified version of lyle mcdonalds generic bulking routine. A upper/lower would fit best for those days IMO.

i have only monday, wed, thur, friday available to go to the gym. i wonder how to divide bodyparts:

monday - legs
off
wednesday - chest/triceps
thursday - back/biceps
friday - shoulders/calves
off
off

is that ok?

MONDAY:
Squats 5x5-10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

WEDNESDAY:
Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10

THURSDAY:
Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
BB Curl 4x8-12

FRIDAY: Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10
Standing Calf Raise 4x10

rest between sets 1-2 min isos 2-5 min compounds

250 protein, 3500-3600 kcal, bulking

Sort of looks like a Max-ot style program with high number of sets? - is that what its based on?

routine is from this website:

Personal Training with Aram Hamparian

i alsop wonder about condensing it into 3 days...maybe it would be better option

MONDAY:
Squats 5x5-10
Standing Calf Raise 4x10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

WEDNESDAY:
Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10

FRIDAY:
Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
BB Curl 4x8-12
Shrugs (optional)

+ weighted abs 1-2x a week

routine is from this website:

Personal Training with Aram Hamparian

i alsop wonder about condensing it into 3 days...maybe it would be better option

MONDAY:
Squats 5x5-10
Standing Calf Raise 4x10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

WEDNESDAY:
Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10

FRIDAY:
Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
BB Curl 4x8-12
Shrugs (optional)

+ weighted abs 1-2x a week
how long have you been lifting?
what are your lifts like?
whats your goal?

If your just new to lifting like me i'd recommend keep it simple, i've been training for about 4 months now and I've tried a few different programs, I've found that a simple compound workout will work much better in beginning stages, allow more time for rest as its just as important as training, 3 days at the gym a week is just as effective as any more than that and you can save yourself time, what i'm doing is saving isolation exercises for a later time as my body will probably benefit from either adding in extra exercises later on when your body starts to adapt to your program over time,. I'm sure you've had a read of the beginner programs on offer here but i'll link you anyway just incase, i'm sure somebody will eventually anyway. Its not a bad program but from my experiences its best to focus on a few main lifts and get them right before anything else. I've revised over a program that Trent from PTC Sydney helped me with and its been working wonders. Your program looks good as it is and you could probably stick with it, but if your questioning your program or your early into it, i'd consider trying the beginner program out before you stick with this one.

Best advice i could give you is trust your own judgement. Give both a try, but in the end its your decision to decide what works better for you.

If you haven't checked this out already, refer to this link :) - http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9660-beginners-look-here.html

how long have you been lifting?
what are your lifts like?
whats your goal?

lifting for 2.5 years already

my goal is SIZE

my lifts:

bench 100kg x5
deadlift 160kg x 4
squat 130kg x 5

this one

MONDAY:
Squats 5x5-10
Standing Calf Raise 4x10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

WEDNESDAY:
Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10

FRIDAY:
Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
BB Curl 4x8-12
Shrugs (optional)

looks nice and simple but dont know what do you think about it since i still consider myself as a beginner

sets listed are working sets. using at least 2 warm up sets for the first exercise for each bodypart and at
least 1 warm up set for each subsequent exercise for that bodypart. use the same weight on all working sets. once you can hit the upper rep range specified for every set of an exercise, increase weights slightly for next time and try again.

Last edited:
As good a place as any to begin posting...

I was initially going to suggest a 4 day PUSH/PULL however not being able to train on tuesday's throws out the recovery time. Can you train sunday's? If so you may consider and tweak this to your needs.

Basically the split follows...
Day 1 - Heavy Push (3-5 rep range, 3 working sets, strength focus, moving heavy weights.)
Squats, Bench, Overhead press, Dips

Day 2 - Moderate Pull (10+ rep range, 3+ working sets, hypertrophy focus, controlled weights)
Deadlifts, Chins, Rows, Curls

Day 3 off

Day 4 Moderate Push (10+ rep range, 3+ working sets, hypertrophy focus, controlled weights)

Day 5 Heay Pull (3-5 rep range, 3 working sets, strength focus, moving heavy weights.)
Deads, Weighted Chins, Rows, Curls.

Thats the basic plan, you keep the exercises for heavy days the same and tweak the exercises on hypertrophy focus days depending on how your mechanics work, how well you recover and how your muscles adapt.

For example, as i'm not blessed with being named twice, i cant deadlift well after heavy squats like Konstaninovs, so i did Romanian/SLDL for my hypertrophy focus on tuesday's aimed at my hamstrings. I found my shoulders responded extremely well to just overhead presses and left it at that. For chest i did dumbell presses as i felt bench didnt stimulate my chest enough and on thursday's i alternated squats and front squats (every other week) for quad's. I also dropped heavy dips on monday as i felt they were taxed enough from bench and OHP and just went body weight (grease the groove).

All sets on heavy days are straight sets, with progressive increases every week when all sets are completed for the prescribed reps (similar to 'Starting strength').

Pro's
- Eat big, lift big, get big
- It's fun.
- Lifting big things is fun, doing it every workout is even funner.
- Natural stimulation of the bodys hormones from getting flogged through squats and deadlifts every workout. Lifting heavy things frequently jack's testosterone production.
- Don't get bogged down focusing on singular bodypart's or muscle groups, greater focus on movement planes, good change from the regular BB split.
- No wasted energy on isolation movements
- Can almost be done exclusively with a barbell
- Strength Increase
- Size increase

Con's
- Taxing on the whole body, you may not be able to recover well enough to perform successfully on your next workout.
- Long warm-up's are essential (15 min), you cant just walk in off the street and jump into a successful workout.
- Prehab is needed if your not acumstomed to this kind of load on the body (rotator's, hip',s lower back etc).
- More of an effort for recovery may be needed, including icing anything that feels slightly off and application of a shitload of dencorub)
- If you dont get enough rest you'll find yourself sinking quickly.

Have a google of Max-ot training mate....by AST....alot of natrual bodybuilders use this training program and/or ideas from it...

Check it out:

AST Sports Science - High-Performance Sports Nutrition Supplements - fuck load of info on that site, plus HEAPS of diff Max-ot workouts to the left of the screen - you may have to sign up, but its free...you just get a newsletter normally which is pretty good anyway!

thanks a lot mate

but what about my routine i posted?

thanks a lot mate

but what about my routine i posted?

Its ok mate - not a big fan of the increased reps i.e 4 x 10 - think its much better to focus on heavier weights i.e 2-3 x 4-6...Train hard, heavy and intense for short periods of time...

As good a place as any to begin posting...

I was initially going to suggest a 4 day PUSH/PULL however not being able to train on tuesday's throws out the recovery time. Can you train sunday's? If so you may consider and tweak this to your needs.

Basically the split follows...
Day 1 - Heavy Push (3-5 rep range, 3 working sets, strength focus, moving heavy weights.)

Day 2 - Moderate Pull (10+ rep range, 3+ working sets, hypertrophy focus, controlled weights)
Deadlifts, Chins, Rows, Curls

Day 3 off

Day 4 Moderate Push (10+ rep range, 3+ working sets, hypertrophy focus, controlled weights)

Day 5 Heay Pull (3-5 rep range, 3 working sets, strength focus, moving heavy weights.)
Deads, Weighted Chins, Rows, Curls.

Thats the basic plan, you keep the exercises for heavy days the same and tweak the exercises on hypertrophy focus days depending on how your mechanics work, how well you recover and how your muscles adapt.

For example, as i'm not blessed with being named twice, i cant deadlift well after heavy squats like Konstaninovs, so i did Romanian/SLDL for my hypertrophy focus on tuesday's aimed at my hamstrings. I found my shoulders responded extremely well to just overhead presses and left it at that. For chest i did dumbell presses as i felt bench didnt stimulate my chest enough and on thursday's i alternated squats and front squats (every other week) for quad's. I also dropped heavy dips on monday as i felt they were taxed enough from bench and OHP and just went body weight (grease the groove).

All sets on heavy days are straight sets, with progressive increases every week when all sets are completed for the prescribed reps (similar to 'Starting strength').

Pro's
- Eat big, lift big, get big
- It's fun.
- Lifting big things is fun, doing it every workout is even funner.
- Natural stimulation of the bodys hormones from getting flogged through squats and deadlifts every workout. Lifting heavy things frequently jack's testosterone production.
- Don't get bogged down focusing on singular bodypart's or muscle groups, greater focus on movement planes, good change from the regular BB split.
- No wasted energy on isolation movements
- Can almost be done exclusively with a barbell
- Strength Increase
- Size increase

Con's
- Taxing on the whole body, you may not be able to recover well enough to perform successfully on your next workout.
- Long warm-up's are essential (15 min), you cant just walk in off the street and jump into a successful workout.
- Prehab is needed if your not acumstomed to this kind of load on the body (rotator's, hip',s lower back etc).
- More of an effort for recovery may be needed, including icing anything that feels slightly off and application of a shitload of dencorub)
- If you dont get enough rest you'll find yourself sinking quickly.

+1. I'd definately recommend this, good set out, not too much work in one day, I might even consider trying it out myself eventually. the pro's and cons are basically saying that you'll be working much harder if you choose this but hard work definately pays off if you stick to it.

Its ok mate - not a big fan of the increased reps i.e 4 x 10 - think its much better to focus on heavier weights i.e 2-3 x 4-6...Train hard, heavy and intense for short periods of time...

i know what you mean. but i like low reps only on certain exercises. for example chins, rows, LEG CURLS, maybe bench press. squats with very low reps did nothing for me.. i like at least 8-10 reps for back squats. and maybe rest for few seconds between last reps.

i just added some cable rows just to better balance pulling vs pushing movements. so basically my 3 day routine looks like this:

WORKOUT 1
MONDAY: Squats 5x5-10
Seated Calf Raise 2x15
Standing Calf Raise 2x10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10
TUESDAY: Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10
THURSDAY: Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
Cable rows 3x10-12
BB Curl 4x8-12

it is possible that i wont have access to seated calf machine so ill do 4 sets of standing calf raise instead in that case. or are seated calf raises neccessary?

Last edited:
It looks fine to me, 6 sets to near failure per bodypart a week is all you really need
Don't agree with leg extensions though

I also agree with TurdBurglar that upper/lower would be better

This dude is 2 years into the game if he cant go on a split yet then hes doing something very wrong....

Standing calf raises are fine!

This dude is 2 years into the game if he cant go on a split yet then hes doing something very wrong....

Standing calf raises are fine!

thank you. btw you look STRONG in your av (if it is you)

so ill start this routine and see how it goes. some people told me that there is too little volume for chest and triceps/biceps.... LOL. i thought there is just enough volume..

MONDAY:

Squats 5x5-10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10 (small plates under toes)
Standing Calf Raise 4x10

WED:

Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10

FRI:

Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
Cable rows 3x10-12
BB Curl 4x8-12

IS THAT ENOUGH?? and am i good to go with that without adding anything?

Last edited:
thank you. btw you look STRONG in your av (if it is you)

so ill start this routine and see how it goes. some people told me that there is too little volume for chest and triceps/biceps.... LOL. i thought there is just enough volume..

MONDAY:

Squats 5x5-10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10 (small plates under toes)
Standing Calf Raise 4x10

WED:

Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10

FRI:

Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
Cable rows 3x10-12
BB Curl 4x8-12

IS THAT ENOUGH?? and am i good to go with that without adding anything?

Cheers mate, that is me!

Mate my advice is do what you want to do, keep a log about it and see if it works. If it works than viola! your on to something.
Not everyone will agree to what you want to do as they have their own ideals about training, so just do it mate.