• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bodyfat immersion testing..any good?

Hey guyz,

Just wondering if anyone here has had an immersion test for bodyfat?

I did a search but couldnt find anything..Im a melbourne boy and have found a place in brighton called Craig Harper Personal Training..

Thinking about giving it a go, but would like some input from you guyz before I do.

Thanks a lot.

What's a Personal Trainer got to do with BF testing?
Find a place that does Dexa Scans and have you BF tested there. No need for a PT.

Just look in a mirror or take some photographs to graph progress. No one needs body fat % info besides researches in studies who need hard facts and numbers. Waste of money and a waste of time.

Water immersion and Dexa are better rated than other methods but both have still been proven to be not as accurate as once thought.

Better still, no need for bodyfat percentage testing at all.

What does the number mean? If you are 18.3% rather than 16.7%, what does that mean?

Physical training can change how you look, feel (health) and perform.

"That Beyonce is hot."
"Yeah but she is 22.1% bodyfat."
"I am much healthier since I started weight training, I feel more energetic, less stiff."
"Yeah but what's your bodyfat percentage?"
"Crows won last night."
"Yeah but the Blues have higher bodyfat on average."

How you look is measured with the mirror. How you feel you measure yourself. How you perform is measured by your performance in your lifting, work, home life, sport and so on. None of these are measured by percent bodyfat.

Water immersion and Dexa are better rated than other methods but both have still been proven to be not as accurate as once thought.
Just wondering what method they used to test the innacuracy of water immersion and dexa scans?

Probably cadaver :D

Seriously though most likely cadaver studies DEXA scan it then cut it up and weigh the fat. I never went through the methods they used but if I can find the studies again I will let you know.

nah its not that i need a PT, but i thought they did the immersion testing..but i rang them and turns out they dont..

i want to go to an immersion place but do not know of where one is..

Can anyone help me locate one? I hear Vic Uni might do it..ill have to give them a call when im free

Mate the price to get tested via water immersion would be a joke to its benefits... which are practically nil.

Caliper testing by a qualified (and I mean ISAK qualified) would be accurate enough. But really you just need to look in a mirror or (as you suggested) have a few people look at you and tell you where you are at.

People need to care less about the % number and just care about how you feel you look in a mirror.

Also if you really need it you can try the ERA

I dunno, its nice to have quantifiable figures to track progress.

Most things we do require benchmarks we are measured against. If you want to know, get it. Dexa is only about $60-70 anyway and you get a sheet telling you where your BF is and total %.

Knowing your LBM is good anyways.