• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bodyfat Estimate [PICS]

X

xuee

Hey didnt know where else to put this im sorta new here :p

Background info; I started body building in march this year as a beginner (still am), trained for 6 months on a simple 3 day split program learning the basics at my gym..

After six months i had to take a month off, which turned into 2 months (big mistake on my part).. now any decent gain i may have made in those 6 months is noticeably fading away.. ive kept up my heavy eating habits but havent excersiced AT ALL.

Ive included some pics just so i can show you my current figure because im completely lost as to what to do.. summer is nearly here and im not sure if i should cut or bulk..

Fat is quite visible in my gut and 'love handles' which i dont like but then again im very small comparatively speaking and no where near what i want to shape up to..

So yeah enough rambling on from me, please look at pics and estimate BF and suggest what i should do with myself.

Thanks.

[ps just move the link 2gether to view pic..silly 15 post rule]
img25.imageshack.us/img25/5476/img3747v.jpg

img405.imageshack.us/img405/7681/img3748.jpg

img405.imageshack.us/img405/6291/img3749u.jpg

img25.imageshack.us/img25/8407/img3750r.jpg

img97.imageshack. us/img97/6720/img3751.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, you need to hit the weights mate. I would say you are around 20% bodyfat or maybe even higher.

Why cut when you have nothing or not much to show under it? Now hit the weights hard for a year and then consider cutting. Make sure you do the important compound stuff as well, don't worry about isolation stuff just yet.

At your stage, if you lift hard and heavy and have a good diet. You will be able to build muscle and lost fat at the same time for a while.

Welcome xuee,

I agree with Josh on all points.
Also, just try and stay consistent and your results will come.

Good luck.

Yeah if i made up my mind to bulk up i would probably go on something like 'rippetoes' starting strength and work from there..

20%.. wow.. =[

I was thinking just clean diet + cardio + weights just to tone down the fat to say 13/14/15 % then go on an all out bulk.. thoughts ?

edit- thanks for reposting the links!

Bodyfat % is hard to tell, especially from a photo. Even with Calipers you will get varying results depending on calipers and how they are measured.

As for thoughts.

At your stage, if you lift hard and heavy and have a good diet. You will be able to build muscle and lost fat at the same time for a while.

Depends on what you want. You can still have a nice body with low bodyfat even if you have not much muscle. The slim and cut look is in at the moment with the girls.

If you do this for the girls, you are not going to get far or be consistent in my opinion.

Yeah if i made up my mind to bulk up i would probably go on something like 'rippetoes' starting strength and work from there..

20%.. wow.. =[

I was thinking just clean diet + cardio + weights just to tone down the fat to say 13/14/15 % then go on an all out bulk.. thoughts ?

edit- thanks for reposting the links!

A lot of people seem to want to tone down to a certain level and then bulk up from there, this just seems like a big waste of time to me. That few months it takes toning down the bf% could be put to building the muscles instead, your bf will drop anyway in the early stages.

I would hit the weights, take a look at this program, a few members here are doing this
http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html

and this one
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-train...move-your-body-through-space-program-1-a.html

Good luck mate!

Josh has the right of it.
At the beginning of the year, I had a 97cm waist and 100cm chest. This corresponded to about 26% bodyfat. So I imagine you're similar.

However, percentage bodyfat is not important in itself unless you are at some unhealthy extreme (for men, under 8-10% or over 35%). What's important is how you feel, perform and look.

I began not with the gym, but with a programme of general physical and mental preparation. I write about something like that here. The mental preparation is simply consistency, the habit of exercise and good food. If you cannot regularly do a few pushups at home and cook your dinner, when you sign up for a gym you'll be one of the 90% who gives up in the first three months. Develop consistent habits of good eating and regular exercise.

Part of that consistency is looking beyond this coming summer. A real decent eating and exercise programme is for your lifetime. I'd rather look crap on the beach this summer and great for the next twenty summers, than great this summer and then... :( So don't worry about this summer. Do some general physical and mental preparation as I suggest, then those 3-6 months later hit the gym hard.

In three months this programme dropped several kilos of fat from me, and gained me a couple of kilos of muscle. It put me into the habit of good eating and regular exercise, and made it much easier when I signed up for the gym.

Last edited:
Who knows, he hasn't told us.

It doesn't make much difference in the first few months, anyway. Well, not unless you want to be built like an emo. In which case my only advice is given in an Arnie-voice, "stay out of my way manlet!" :p

To me you dont even look like you lift.

You need to start eating clean food only, no processed ****. And be doing a full body compound program 3 times a week.

If you really want to do a cut wait until you have a nice slab of muscle underneath.

If your under 28 take advantage of the high natural levels of testosterone your body is still producing and pack on the beef.

I actually think this is a troll. No one would post pics of themselves if they looked like that.

Dude, do heavy compound lifts 3 days a week, eat heaps of good food. Do this for about a year, put on a heap of muscle, then worry about cutting to show it off. At the moment cutting serves no purpose as you have nothing to cut down to.

Lift and eat.

Thanks for the decent replies (and the not so decent).. yeah i guess your all right.. whats the point in cutting when theres barely any muscle underneath. I think i will start lifting compounds 3 days a week and work from there.

As i stated i had previously been going gym for 6 months before a 2 month break. And now im ready to get back into it, despite not even looking like i was lifting before. =[

Ive read on the bodybuilding.com forums that rippetoes is _the_ program to go on for begginers.. im not sure how many of u guys frequent there or like the site for that matter.. but yeah, has anyone from here done the program? thoughts?

thanks.

Check out the two links that eaglebay posted on this thread.
Two great programs to choose from.

Start a training diary on here too, great way to get input, and motivate yourself.

Rippetoe's, Markos' old school one, Fadi's one, a "ghetto" workout - honestly, it doesn't matter.

What matters is consistent effort over time. Move weight against gravity. Do it until you're tired. Then do it a little bit longer. Then eat, sleep, and do it again tomorrow.

Consistent effort over time gets results. Pick a programme and stick to it.

Ive read on the bodybuilding.com forums that rippetoes is _the_ program to go on for begginers.. im not sure how many of u guys frequent there or like the site for that matter.. but yeah, has anyone from here done the program? thoughts?

thanks.

Hello Xuee,

It's great that you're motivated again to hit the weights. I've looked at Mark's program which I believe comes fro his book: “starting strength”. I’ve added it below for anyone who wishes to take a look at it. It’s great in that it delivers the point to a beginner that he/she does not have to do 5 different exercises per body part to get results. Obviously, if you increase the weights before your body is properly adapted to the load simply because you chose to exercise your ego before your muscle (so the girl with gorgeous body over thee can notice you); you’ll be met with disaster with your cardiovascular system. This is a 3x a week squat routine. It’s not a forever and ever program, but like its name suggests, it’s a beginner’s one. It’s laying down some foundation before the hypertrophy phase of takes over. There’s more to this point of course but for the purpose of this reply what I’ve said so far should suffice.

Some people like to modify the program but still call it Mark Rippetoe’s program. In other words, if I ask you to squat 3x a week and you squat 2x and take the deadlift out etc; then you have no right to call it my program if /when you fail to meet with your expectations. I said enough I think.

Please check this out for what we have on offer for beginners: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9660-beginners-look-here.html#post78053

Wkout A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Wkout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 Bent over rows
2x8 Chinups

Done 3x a week, rotating A and B.

Fadi.