• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bodybuilding vs Strength Training

That's the theory, JS, but when you look into it you actually find there are very few studies showing any difference. Mostly because there are very few studies on using lower rep ranges at all, so we've nothing to compare it with.

The main thing's nutrition. This is progressive resistance training, and very few people progress their resistance - doing more weight, reps or sets. But even fewer eat to support that training.

Below is the diet of one of my clients, as reported by him after our recent first session. He is by no means unusual, half the gym-goers I talk to eat like this, and most of the other half are lying.
Breakfast - Banana/Apple and toast or Musili - But breakfast is very irregular and often skipped / usually eaten late also when I do.

Lunch - Ham/Salami Sandwhiches/ Macdonalds/ (KEBABS)anything quick and easy usually somekind of burger and fries/ But I do make sure I have ham and salad sandwhichs at least 2-3 times a week again usually eaten late

Dinner - meat chips and Salads / Pasta's / take away - chinese - indian - Mcdonalds /
He weighed in at 59kg. Do you think it would really matter if he did 5 reps or 10? 3 or 12? 1 or 1,000? Far more important is improving that diet, eating lots of good food.

Good food + low reps = get bigger and stronger
Good food + high reps = get bigger and stronger
Crap food + low reps = no change
Crap food + high reps = no change

Once the person is training and progressing the resistance at all, it's food that matters. Given a perfect diet and progression, the rep range may matter. But almost nobody has a perfect diet, and few progress the resistance consistently.

Start with breakfast and some decent food throughout the day. In every session, do more than you did before. Follow that and you'll get bigger and stronger. It'll get more technical later on, but no need to get fancy right now.

Up to a point, around 8 reps is usually on the mark. Up to a max of 12. But you still want to be working really hard, but focusing on really creating the microtears which stimulate new muscle growth.

Body building v strength

the main strenght & size exercises are cleans - deadlifts- bench press-front press -squats but if your knees are not up to squats try leg press as i find this one works for me . and as you increase your poundage your muscles will grow , but you will find some people get better growth then others sooner , i was one of the later developers now at 62 and still getting stronger with a bit of muscle grow to.

Alec

the thing i always question is i got mates who are big dudes. Like really ****ing big dudes who stick to compound strength training. They just are exacly that big guys.

Then ive got mates who are comp body builders.. Majority of them are natural and do split training..

What is right or wrong? guess its your goals right?
like is there anyone who is a comp bodybuilder on this whole forum?

It seems to boil down to resistance training is resistance training. As long as your working hard.

do strength trainers, have more workout sessions per week for a body part? cause bodybuilders mainly focus on tearing every muscle just once a week and let nutrition play the part for recovery.

I find strength training more fun the BB training. Allot of people find 21's in their biceps and posing more fun... Each to their own
Posted via Mobile Device

Right or wrong

Hey mate
i remember training with a mate in the 60s three time a week full body work out he really had serious growth i had minimal growth how ever we changed our work out he just kept growing we lifted the same weight same reps same intenstiy we really pushed hard , but even in the 60s i was eating 4 to 6 small meals each day making my own protein shakes with 6 eggs honey milk twice each day trying to gain size my training partner just had 3 meals , so is there a right or wrong some are just naturals others like me have to put in a bit more and tried less which i have over the years , but i still enjoy my training just as much now as back then, hope this little story helps you .

the older dudes on the forum have tried and tested alot more shit than me.
So i take alot of their stuff on board and try different things.

But theres heaps of other people just saying exacly what they have read on here.
Calling dudes out for their workouts.

Just would like to see some pics on dudes who do
Split Training... or compounds.

Some tiny strength athletes for you guys to look over. When you guys get this big, switch over to higher reps lol

Mariusz_Pudzianowski_2.jpg

kaz.jpg

image005.jpg

image010.jpg

Johnnie Jackson, worlds strongest bodybuilder

2006-mr-olympia-prejudging-31-johnnie-jackson_20090831_1415287925.jpg

Johnnie+Jackson3.jpg

Johnnie_Jackson_ezr.jpg

JohnnieJackson-MMI-548.jpg

ec7f4-Johnnie_Jackson_01.jpg

Matt Kroc, an elite powerlifter

attachment.php

magnus1_1__medium.jpg

1011289247_256c6c3396.jpg

1012084522_bff6d98399_z.jpg

yeh but no one on here is that big at all.
hahahaha

i got some bikie mates who are that big.. Steroids plus bigger build dudes.

I think, 100 years after I'm dead and buried, you will here me yelling out from my grave, its the food not the weights that determines size.

Haha, way to make a point PTC.

At the same time, there's no way some of those guys are natural . .

Not saying you can't get big by strength training

Here's something interesting I stumbled upon

summary.png

It's from the American College of Sports Medicines Position Stand on Progression Models in Resistance Training for Healthy Adults

Last edited:
hahahaa i already know food is a huge thing.
When i started eating more. I noticed weight large weight gain
Like ive said before i went from 73 kgs to now im 86.

But yeh im just saying those dudes were probably ****ing huge to begin with. hahahahaha

It's from the American College of Sports Medicines Position Stand on Progression Models in Resistance Training for Healthy Adults
Excellent, now as soon as the ACSM can tell us how to determine the 1RM of a novice lifter - which can change by 50% from one workout to the next, and 100% from one month to the next - we can proceed.

Notice, though, that even the ACSM says that novice lifters aiming at strength and at hypertrophy should train the same.

Of course we have no novice lifters here, everyone is advanced.

ACSM sucks, don't listen to anything from them. Markos doesn't suck listen to him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Excellent, now as soon as the ACSM can tell us how to determine the 1RM of a novice lifter - which can change by 50% from one workout to the next, and 100% from one month to the next - we can proceed.

Very good point

Notice, though, that even the ACSM says that novice lifters aiming at strength and at hypertrophy should train the same.

Of course we have no novice lifters here, everyone is advanced.

Even at an intermediate or advance level the differences in what was recommended are extremely similar for strength or hypertrophy. I thought it backed up a point that everyone was making about the importance of diet over splitting hairs about training styles (low reps or higher reps) nicely.