• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bodybuilding and excessive food intakes

Oli

I've been lifting for 10 months now. In that time ive put on 20kg (75-95) and I think my lifts are decent enough that I can give my 10c.

Something that strikes me is the excessive amounts of food proposed in the bodybuilding world - Rippetoe has his 4L of whole milk a day and if your food intake is anything below 7000 calories someone on bb.com is bound to call you a pussy. The 'eat big' slogan seems to be everywhere.

Now dont get me wrong, I can see a lot of guys this would apply to - my high school was full of skinny kids who ran around all day and ate nothing but space food sticks. I imagine this is exactly the sort of thing they need.

However, I think you're average male, particularly once into their 20s, is going to blow up sumo style on this kind of diet. In my impatience for muscle gain I followed this kind of advice in periods, but nowhere near the extent they suggested. there were times Id either drink 3L of lite milk, eat a 1kg of meat or go to mcdonalds for big macs 2-3 times a week (never did these simultaneously) and whilst I did make some 'great gains' they were never lean ones.

I dont think the average australian diet is miles away from bodybuilding standards. Say your average male eats:

Breakfast - 8 weetabix, 2 glasses of milk
Lunch - 2 pies and a can of mother
Dinner - 2 servings of whatever mum makes

Lets say you changed it up a bit -

Breakfast - 8 weetabix, 2 glasses of lite milk, scoop of whey
Lunch - 2 buns, salad and 200-300g of chicken breast
Post workout - 2-3 glasses of lite milk and a scoop of whey

This is the kind of diet I had when my gains were slower and leaner. Its not expensive, inconvenient or miles away from the average diet, and would probably suit those 30+ as well as those of us who dont have insane metabolisms.

I wish I had this diet from when I started off. I would have had to be content with only a 10-15kg gain, but I would have been far leaner. lets be realistic, unless you're going through puberty or have been malnourished for years this is all you're going to put on. No you say, Rippetoe has kids who gained 20kg+? go to woolworths and buy 20kg worth of rump steak, take it home and lay it out on your kitchen bench - you'll see that much gain of 'lean muscle' is a lot to expect of your body in a year.

But you can bulk up and then do a cut? trust me, when your natural and not doing a boatload of cardio losing weight is a lot harder than its made out to be.

opinions?

this is the sort of thing that is going through my head at the moment. i'm definitely eating more and drinking a lot more milk than i have in the past and my gut is showing it more than i thought it would / should. if i was in my early 20's and not 30's i have no doubt i wouldn't have seen an ounce of fat appear.

The "gallon of milk a day" really is aimed at underweight teenaged males, who simply aren't used to eating a lot - "a lot" always being relative, in this case relative to wanting to power heavy workouts and at the same time grow a lot. It'll be hard to get them to eat the equivalent in fruit, vegies, nuts, beans, meat or dairy. And if they did, their families would be alarmed at the grocery bill. So GOMAD is just a way to fuel them up for some growth.

You have to take the advice in context. Most female athletes undereat, but for the rest of the Western world, calories aren't an issue but nutrition is. 1,000kcal of burger and fries simply doesn't have as much nutrition as 1,000kcal of nuts, beans and vegies. It's possible to be overfat and at the same time malnourished.

And most people simply don't realise just how much food is needed to fuel things like three 5x5 weights workouts a week and still expect to grow. Plus they are impatient for gains - if they don't get bulging biceps and six-pack abs in the first month, they just quit. So the "eat a tonne" thing is a reaction to that.

For my part, I simply say - eat as you like, see how you go. If you grow, great! If not, eat more, and make sure you're getting a bit of everything food-wise. If that still doesn't work, eat more again. And so on. Adjust as you go.

this is the sort of thing that is going through my head at the moment. i'm definitely eating more and drinking a lot more milk than i have in the past and my gut is showing it more than i thought it would / should. if i was in my early 20's and not 30's i have no doubt i wouldn't have seen an ounce of fat appear.

Make sure you cut back, with your older metabolism you'd have to severely cut calories to lose weight.

The "gallon of milk a day" really is aimed at underweight teenaged males, who simply aren't used to eating a lot - "a lot" always being relative, in this case relative to wanting to power heavy workouts and at the same time grow a lot. It'll be hard to get them to eat the equivalent in fruit, vegies, nuts, beans, meat or dairy. And if they did, their families would be alarmed at the grocery bill. So GOMAD is just a way to fuel them up for some growth.

Agreed, but these people get WAY more of a voice on bodybuilding forums than anyone else - thats understandable, as the need to bulk up is often brought on by being a runt.

That being said, take any rugby player who was solid to begin with and stick him on those diets hes going to balloon. He'd be better off sticking to his current diet and adding a protein shake or two, which, funnily enough, is the advice of most personal trainers.

You have to take the advice in context. Most female athletes undereat, but for the rest of the Western world, calories aren't an issue but nutrition is. 1,000kcal of burger and fries simply doesn't have as much nutrition as 1,000kcal of nuts, beans and vegies. It's possible to be overfat and at the same time malnourished.

I think the real context is the american diet, where red meat is expensive and schools have free food because being 'working class' in america isnt 2 rice burners and a project home like it is here.

For my part, I simply say - eat as you like, see how you go. If you grow, great! If not, eat more, and make sure you're getting a bit of everything food-wise. If that still doesn't work, eat more again. And so on. Adjust as you go.

Yeah, and if you're not a bone bag I'd take advice on excessive diets with a grain of salt.

Have you got before/afters with your shirt off?

Not really I was very embarrassed about how I looked when I started, now that I'm 15-17% I'm not interested in showing off anytime soon.

Last edited:
oliver, just outta interest, in that 20kg you put on.. how much of it is fat / water and how much of it is muscle would you say?

or better yet, how many percent bodyfat have you gone up?

oliver, just outta interest, in that 20kg you put on.. how much of it is fat / water and how much of it is muscle would you say?

or better yet, how many percent bodyfat have you gone up?

No idea how much fat it was in exact measurements, you can go on my 5x5 training log and see some pics if you like.

I'm guessing 10-12 was lean (I was going through puberty at the time) at least 5 was pure fat though.

I've been lifting for 10 months now. In that time ive put on 20kg (75-95) and I think my lifts are decent enough that I can give my 10c.

Something that strikes me is the excessive amounts of food proposed in the bodybuilding world - Rippetoe has his 4L of whole milk a day and if your food intake is anything below 7000 calories someone on bb.com is bound to call you a pussy. The 'eat big' slogan seems to be everywhere.

Now dont get me wrong, I can see a lot of guys this would apply to - my high school was full of skinny kids who ran around all day and ate nothing but space food sticks. I imagine this is exactly the sort of thing they need.

However, I think you're average male, particularly once into their 20s, is going to blow up sumo style on this kind of diet. In my impatience for muscle gain I followed this kind of advice in periods, but nowhere near the extent they suggested. there were times Id either drink 3L of lite milk, eat a 1kg of meat or go to mcdonalds for big macs 2-3 times a week (never did these simultaneously) and whilst I did make some 'great gains' they were never lean ones.

I dont think the average australian diet is miles away from bodybuilding standards. Say your average male eats:

Breakfast - 8 weetabix, 2 glasses of milk
Lunch - 2 pies and a can of mother

Lets say you changed it up a bit -

Breakfast - 8 weetabix, 2 glasses of lite milk, scoop of whey
Lunch - 2 buns, salad and 200-300g of chicken breast
Post workout - 2-3 glasses of lite milk and a scoop of whey

This is the kind of diet I had when my gains were slower and leaner. Its not expensive, inconvenient or miles away from the average diet, and would probably suit those 30+ as well as those of us who dont have insane metabolisms.

I wish I had this diet from when I started off. I would have had to be content with only a 10-15kg gain, but I would have been far leaner. lets be realistic, unless you're going through puberty or have been malnourished for years this is all you're going to put on. No you say, Rippetoe has kids who gained 20kg+? go to woolworths and buy 20kg worth of rump steak, take it home and lay it out on your kitchen bench - you'll see that much gain of 'lean muscle' is a lot to expect of your body in a year.

But you can bulk up and then do a cut? trust me, when your natural and not doing a boatload of cardio losing weight is a lot harder than its made out to be.

opinions?

You didnt post a diet im confused what are we reading here?

I dont think the average australian diet is miles away from bodybuilding standards.

It's probably higher, if anything, considering we're the reigning obesity champions of the world...or at least we were the champions.

I hear what you're saying though and I tend to agree.
I think the problem stems from the guys who are already big touting how they eat x billion calories a day and the new guys think they need to as well...even though they are just starting out and haven't got enough muscle to warrant the food intake.

On the flip side there are also people who genuinely don't eat enough and question why they aren't making any gains. I assume they are in some way influenced by the media with all the fad diets and rubbish meal replacement shake starvation diets going around and think 1000calories is normal, so adding 500 should get them bulking.

P.S Congrats on your gains btw

While we're on the topic of people going overboard with diets for bodybuilding, I've noticed a lot of people have the impression they need to eat a kilo of protein at every one of their 17 meals during a day or they will go catobolic and die.

I found the information below interesting regarding protein intake.

25% of energy intake as a suggested maximum by the national health and medical research council. It isn't a very strict value if you read the comments, but it's interesting none the less.

NHMRC Nutrient Reference Values - Disease summary

Nutrient
Protein
Lower end of recommended intake range
15% of energy
Upper end of recommended intake range
25% of energy
Comments
On average, only 10% of energy is required to cover physiological needs, but this level is insufficient to allow for EAR (Estimated average requirements) for micronutrients when consuming foods commonly eaten in Australia and New Zealand.
Intakes in some highly active communities (eg hunter-gatherers, Arctic, pastoralists) are as high as 30% with no apparent adverse health. No predominantly sedentary western societies have intakes at this level from which to assess potential adverse outcomes. Thus, a prudent UL (Upper level) of intake of 25% of energy has been set.

Also, if anyone is actually interested there are a couple of publication on here worth ordering (they are free). Theres a dietary guidelines one in various forms (even pamphlets to give to overweight rellies if you feel the need) as well as the recommended nutrient intake one that the above link was original found in.
Nutrition & Diet publications

There's a Japanese guy called Kobayashi, he once ate 50 hot dogs in 12 minutes. And yet... he looks pretty buff.

[YOUTUBE]lyvLapQ9FjU[/YOUTUBE]

Energy in vs energy out​

Freak... the fact that he ate 50 is amazing but in 12 mins.. geez Louise.

Nice abs too - no homo :)

Far out, 50 hot dogs! That was including the bread bun as well!
Notice how he was up against incredibly obese guys...I wonder if they think it's bad for you like Kobayashi does.
Also, youtube title says he is the FORMER champ...I wonder if the guy who beat him is as buff haha.
Nice find Kyle.