• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Matty

Hi guys,

I am new to ausbb.com and am currently almost 25. I am looking to put on a lot of size and transform my body. I have done weight training in the past but never consistantly and not for more than a year. I am about 6 weeks in a program atm.
Can i really expect to grow much at my age or are my best muscle growth years behind me now? I have been told because i didnt start in my teens i wont grow as big, is this right?
I would love to compete in naturals one day but have been told this is extremely unlikely.

Thanks guys!

You're 25 Matty, if you cant' achieve good muscle growth at your age you're either paralyzed from the neck down or dead.

If by chance you are either one of those or both, no disrespect intended.

Last edited:
Matty with consistency, tenacity, good food and progression, you will grow!

Take a look at the Bodybuilding threads for idea's and information, there's loads of it.

And there are plenty of folk on here who can offer advice and assistance.

What routine have you been doing for 6 weeks? Have you noticed any changes? Or strength gains within that time?

Regardless, I wish you luck with your goals and may you stimulate lots of beautiful muscle growth! ;)

Matty with consistency, tenacity, good food and progression, you will grow!

Take a look at the Bodybuilding threads for idea's and information, there's loads of it.

And there are plenty of folk on here who can offer advice and assistance.

What routine have you been doing for 6 weeks? Have you noticed any changes? Or strength gains within that time?

Regardless, I wish you luck with your goals and may you stimulate lots of beautiful muscle growth! ;)

I am eating well and doing a full body workout 3 times a week and trying to get 2 sessions of cardio per week as well. Im slowly seeing some strength gains. I weighted and measured myself when I started and again at 6 weeks and my measurements havent really changed (appart from my gut being smaller and my shoulder girth increasing by 6cm)

Age really isn't an issue as much as some people think, Put in a few hard years and your the same chance as anyone else.

Hey Matty, why don't you throw your current training routine and diet up and see if the lads who are also currently building muscle and some day hope to compete, like yourself, can offer some advice?

Bradsky, Tuna, Tregs and Hammer will definitely be able to assist, just to name a few.

And maybe also post up what you hope to achieve in the short term and long term?

Are you trying to cut at the moment? Or bulk up? Or are you happy with where you're at and just trying to gain muscle for now?

Weight, height and body fat if you know it, would also be helpful.

It's really exciting to have another lad on the forum, wanting to eventually compete in natural bb'ing!

I have a couple of clients who are succesful competitive bb'ers - will endeavour to get their training programs and post them up soon for you boys to have a look over :)

Hey Matty, why don't you throw your current training routine and diet up and see if the lads who are also currently building muscle and some day hope to compete, like yourself, can offer some advice?

Bradsky, Tuna, Tregs and Hammer will definitely be able to assist, just to name a few.

And maybe also post up what you hope to achieve in the short term and long term?

Are you trying to cut at the moment? Or bulk up? Or are you happy with where you're at and just trying to gain muscle for now?

Weight, height and body fat if you know it, would also be helpful.

It's really exciting to have another lad on the forum, wanting to eventually compete in natural bb'ing!

I have a couple of clients who are succesful competitive bb'ers - will endeavour to get their training programs and post them up soon for you boys to have a look over :)

Thanks very much for your help!!! I will post up my workout and diet shortly.

My workout:
Monday:
Squat
Bench press
Assisted wide grip pullups
Barbell bicep curls
Dumbbell tricep extensions
seated calf raises
Leg lifts

Wednesday:
Deadlift
Dumbbell Bench
Bent over row
Dumbbell shrug
Dumbbell Preacher curl
Cable tricep pushdown
Weighted stability ball crunch

Friday:
Leg press
Incline dumbbell bench
seated machine row
military press
incline dumbbell curl
close grip smith machine press
plank

I have been adjusting the reps, sets and weight every 3 weeks and I am currently in my 5th week (not 6th) so started with 3 sets of 15 reps with 30 seconds rest. Now doing 4 sets of 10 reps with 60 seconds rest. Then will move to 5 sets of 5 reps with 90 seconds rest.

Diet usually consists of:

Breakfast:
Protein shake with 1 egg in it
Quick oats with skim milk and cinnamon
Multivitamin and krill oil

Snack:
Greek Yogurt and raw cashews

Lunch:
grilled chicken breast with steamed broc and carrot, low fat cottage cheese

Snack:
protein shake

Dinner:
grilled chicken breast with steamed veges(carrot, broc, corn) and sweet potato

Snack:
Protein shake

Before bed:
5g BCAA and ZMA

At the moment I am holding 24% body fat, am 90kg and 178cm tall, am looking to lower my body fat, hence the lack of carbs in my diet.
Short and long term goals are similar in that I want to reduce my body fat while putting on lean muscle mass. In the long term I would like to push my genetic boundaries.

Training Exerpt Example

Day 1: Chest/Triceps + Calves
Day 2: Back/Traps/Rear delts + Calves
Day 3: Legs + Calves
Day 4: Shoulders/Biceps + Calves
OFF
Day 6: Chest/Back
Day 7: Arms/Calves
Day 8: Legs
Day 9: Shoulders/Traps + Calves
OFF then repeat

Calves are worked every day the first four days with low volume but high intensity, the following week they're worked less frequently but with higher volume

Day 1: Chest/Triceps

Incline smith machine press: 2 plates x 10RRP (7reps + 2reps + 1rep)
Decline dumbbell press: 32.5kg x 10 reps
Pec dec: stack x 7 reps (4 myself)

Tricep Pushdowns (reverse): 45kg x 10 reps
Decline Skull Crushes: 25kg x 10 reps
Tricep Pushdowns: 55kg x 10 reps
Seated Calve Raises: 2 sets x failure

Day 2: Back/Rear delts/Traps

MTS Row: 100 x 10 reps
Hammerstrength Pulldowns: 1 3/4 plates x 10 RRP (6 reps + 2 reps + 2 reps)
Barbell Row: 120kg x 10 reps
Hammerstrength High-Row: 2 3/4 plates x 10 reps
Dumbbell High-Row: 20kg x 10 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs: 50kg x 15 reps
Seated Calve Raises: 2 sets x failure

Day 3: Legs

Leg Extensions: 3 sets (warm-up)
High-Bar Close Stance Squats: 80kg x 15, 100kg x 15
Low-Bar Squats: 120kg x 3, 130kg x 1, 150kg x 1, 160kg x 1
High-Bar Close Stance Squats: 80kg x 20, 15, 17
Lying leg curls: 10 sets
Standing Calve raises: 4 sets x failure

Day 4 :Shoulders + Biceps

Smith Machine Military Press: 70kg x 8, 80kg x 8, 90kg x 9 RRP = 5 + 2 + 2, 70kg x 10, 80kg x 7
Rope Front Raises: 25kg x 12, 30kg x 8, 8, 8 drop set x failure
Seated Dumbbell Laterals: 5kg x 12, 7.5kg x 12, 10kg x 10, 12.5kg x 8 > drop set x failure
Cable laterals: 10kg x 12

Machine Curls: 3 sets to warm up
3 sets with negative pressure x failure

This particular client is also a friend is a competing natty bb'er. He changes up his routine all the time and is currently playing with more time under tension, so has dropped the weights to concentrate on form and contraction of each muscle. He sent the above training program through to us a month or so ago, so it's definitely different now! lol

He changes things up every 2-3 weeks, but has been doing this for a few good years now and yields excellent results. His squats have suffered because he's done some hip damage which is why he comes to see moi! (I moonlight as a Remedial Massage/Sports Injury Therapist) But he's getting back there...slowly. He does do all 3 compound lift's (Deads, Squats & Bench) but he changes things up so often, because it seems to be what works for him in promoting muscle growth? His body certainly loves it :)

He is strictly a bb'er, although is incredibly strong. He's all about striation and definition of the muscle fibres, conditioning and aesthetics. Weights and numbers mean nothing to him, although he does strive for personal PB's just to test his strength periodically to ensure he's making strength gains, as well as seeing the results in his physique. (obviously most people become a touch weaker, when in calorie deficit during a 'cutting' period and that's to be factored in and expected)

I don't see anything wrong with your training routine, although you don't have weights listed there at all. Diet looks clean and tight - do you know your calorie requirements and macro balance requirements?

You need to ensure you're getting enough food and the right balance of carbs/fat/protein ratio, in order for those muscles to grow! :)

Hope this helps a little. But am sure the lads will weigh in with any suggestions they may have for you too.

Here's a link to Max Brenners (not the chocolate shop owner! lol Max is a member of our forum too) write up on Calculating Calories, Macronutrients and BMR have a read through and see if you can make heads or tails of it, if you're not aware of it already :D

http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/15230-calculating-calories-macronutrients-bmr.html

I see that you're eating frequently, the old tried and true bodybuilder way - and frequent meals are fine - just ensure you're eating enough and the macro requirements are balanced to feed those muscles, so they're able to grow for you whilst your dropping body fat!

Different programs work for different people, that is the only certainty in life - I guess you just have to find the one's that work well for you and your body :)

Good luck Matty, am chuffed you're here and really look forward to watching your progress as you work towards competition level :)

Last edited:
Op the programme you posted is better then the one posted above.

Pm me if you want some spreadsheets with programmes laid out on them I have saved up an extensive library over the last few years. They are tried and tested workout routines written by coaches not some invent a programme written by a "big" bb.

Also I suggest a food diary to see what yoir cal intake is without looking at your portion sizes it may be possible you are not eating enough.

Carbs don't make you fat m'kay. Go do some reading on macronutrient and calorie control, probably the best info you could get to start with.

Thanks all for the help!! Im glad I joined ausbb!!! After reading the above posts I read max brenner article and have worked out some numbers for myself:

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 68.4)
Where LBM = [90kg x (100 - 24)]/100

BMR x 1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
For me = 2217 Calories per day to maintain weight
1847-2015 Calories per day to lose weight
2439-2660 Calories per day to gain weight
If bodyfat KNOWN = 1.25-1.5g per pound LEAN weight
Protein = (68.4 x 2.2) x 1.25 = 188g
(68.4 x 2.2) x 1.5 = 225g
Bodyfat known, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 per pounds lean mass
Protein = (68.4 x 2.2) x 1.33 = 200g
(68.4 x 2.2) x 2.0 = 300g

High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ kg LEAN weight

Fats = 68.4 x 1.2 = 82g
68.4 x 2 = 137g
For 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])]
carbs in grams = above total/ 4

Carbs calories = 2217 – [(225 x 4) + (82 x 9)] = 579
Carbs in grams = 145g
Please feel free to let me know if I did it all right

It's up to you, but I just keep it simple and eat 200+g of protein per day. and divide the rest of my calories into fats and carbs however I want....

the main goal for the time being should be to clean up any bad eating habits (drink water, eat healthier), and make sure your at a slight calorie deficit.

You will have plenty of time to fine tune your diet when you get further down the track.

GL

Lol God you're good Matty!

The numbers for macro's make my eyes roll in my head! :D

So what have you got?

1847-2015 cals for fat loss?

Carbs = 145g
Protein = 200-300g?
Fat = 82g-137g

Arrrghh I need a scotch looking at that lol

Most of the lads play with the carbs and proteins til they find the right balance for their body. Especially whilst in cutting mode.

Good work, I'm impressed lol

And good luck! Am excited :)

at 24% you'll be able to get to 16% with simply reducing calories below maintenance and 3x weekly compound resistance training with some HIIT cardio thrown in. Increase your incidental activity (ie; that which is not planned, such as walking to the shops instead of driving) and you'll get there before you know it. The lower down you go, the more you need to manipulate your diet et. al.

For now, keep it simple. Quality foods and consistency. Once you get to 16% bodyfat, update us and we'll take it from there!

ok thanks guys!! I appreciate that all of you that are advanced/knowledgable are willing to help out the newbie's like me! I will keep you posted

I am currently doing 2 x 30 minute HIIT cardio sessions per week, from what I have been reading, HIIT seems to be the go but I welcome your opinions / feedback