• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Body-Building + Boxing - Workable?

litebulb

Is it possible to Box 2 nights a week, and body-build 4 nights a week and see good size gains? I'm thinking about taking up boxing at the PCYC on my "rest" nights.

Is this schedule too full on? Is there enough resting time?

I think it hard enough for most people to put on size as it is without an extra 2 SUPER heavy boxing cardio sessions, I'd give it a miss, or do both and do "strength training"

I train muay thai (kickboxing) 3x a week and gym 3x week - never had a problem with gaining or cutting so I say go for it. As long as your diet's in check and you get enough rest it's no problem.

It's simply a bit of cardio and what's more important is it's usually high intensity short bursts wihch can actually help. Keeps me flexible and and helps the heart. Everyone is different but those that say you can't gain simply aren't eating enough.

My schedule was train in Kyokushin 2x per week and do weights 3x per week. (not atm due to injury and doc says to rest for at least a month) Great for the first few months, but you need rest nights as in proper rest nights to mentally relax. You need time to just sit down with a cold drink and chill out watching a movie and not do anything to recharge the batteries. I live on my own, so I need time to do cooking, cleaning, mowing etc and having two hobbies was burning the candle at both ends. So I started doing weights as soon as I got home and then went to training afterwards (and it was not always beneficial)

If you have the time to recover and it does not cause problems outside of weights and boxing then by all means go for it to be the best you can be. Remember, the best athletes in the world got to where they are because they have to give up anything, sometimes everything to focus on their goals. Not all of us are capable of doing that. We all have commitments with family, friends, work, studies, reletionships etc. The real question for anyone with strong commitments to one or more sports is how much are you willing to give up for it?

Sorry for going on a bit, but my opinion is that your question is something only you can answer. We can share our experiences with you - but you have your own circumstances that we cannot take into account. Hence why I dont say "You need to train like this this and do it my way for that" when I reply to questions (this is due to I generally dont have a good answer for them I spend more time reading in here :p) I only share experiences. There are people in here with more experience and expertice than little 6'4'' me :p

I'm not bodybuilding, just trying to get good fitness. I do gym 3+ times a week plus one 1 hour boxing session.

For general fitness, this sounds excellent. I currently do gym 3 times/week, and other cardio twice a week. I feel my fitness steadily increasing, much more than just one or the other.
Go for it and see how it goes for you.