• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

BETA blockers

Clive005

I have slightly high blood pressure my Dr recommends medication any advice from others would be appreciated on there experiance with BB meds
Beta blockers look like they may have some advantages side effects?
Many thanks
Clive

Of course the Dr recommended medication, the Pharmaceutical Companies pay him to do this.:rolleyes:

Did he tell you what the CAUSE of the high blood pressure is?? And how to fix it without drugs??

Also need more details of your current training, diet, weight, height, body fat etc etc before advice may be given. Then again none of us here are medical practitioners either as far as I know anyway.

Im 6'3 95kg lift weights 3 times a week for 1 hr just the basic's as heavy as i can
I have a active job and eat well not the fittest person in the world but not a slob either
Bp about 145/85 I dropped about 15 kg in weight 2years ago but not a lot of change in bp
Im interested in anyone's thoughts on this and if anyone has taken Beta blockers or other bp meds

Thanks Kaz I enjoy lurking ,I find this Forum very informative and amusing I will make more of a effort in posting now I have broken the ice

Im 6'3 95kg lift weights 3 times a week for 1 hr just the basic's as heavy as i can
I have a active job and eat well not the fittest person in the world but not a slob either
Bp about 145/85 I dropped about 15 kg in weight 2years ago but not a lot of change in bp
Im interested in anyone's thoughts on this and if anyone has taken Beta blockers or other bp meds

145/85 is not really high. 140/90 is still considered normal.

When was it taken?? Most blood pressure readings taken by Doctors are a guide only at best, if you had a coffee, were driving in traffic, walked a few meters to the surgery from where you parked your car, were stressed, had a bad nights sleep, etc etc all would result in the above reading, blood pressure is supposed to be taken in the morning just after waking with no activity.

I used to get similar readings and the Dr (GP) was trying to tell me I had a problem and needed drugs, went to a cardiologist and he just laughed, he did a 24 hr blood pressure monitor, and a stress test and everything was perfect, clean bill of health, I was 40 at the time.

Last edited:
Mrs has been through this high blood pressure thing. Get the doc to hook you up with the pack that automatically tests your blood pressure and heart rate for 24 hours. Mrs was always high when checked at the docs along with high heart rate, doc put it down to White Coat Syndrome and just being anxious about being tested or being at the docs office.

I always get white coat syndrome. When my doc takes it, my BP is high, when his nurse takes it my BP is normal. Or whatever symptoms I went to the doctor for and waited an hour to see him for, disappear when I get in there.

I suffer from the old white coat syndrome too ha ha
I had the 24hr BP monitor too and on average wasn't that high at all

145/85 is about my avg in the morning its around 140/80 after work 155/90 and at the Dr's with the white coat fever 165/100
I have had the 24hr monitor was consistant with my readings

145/85 is about my avg in the morning its around 140/80 after work 155/90 and at the Dr's with the white coat fever 165/100
I have had the 24hr monitor was consistant with my readings

Slightly high then 120/80 is good, but not really a big concern, now you need to work out what you can do about it??

Might be as simple as a change in diet and some cardio HIIT or sprints would be great, cut out salt, reduce caffeine intake, increase potassium intake (Bananas/Avocados etc), lose weight etc etc

For me drugs is the last alternative:)