• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Benchpress stalling

There are elements of truth in the arguments of both Goosey and Gavin.

A narrow grip obviously results in further travel for the bar and a few extra degrees of rotation around the shoulder. This results in extra work and depending on technique, the pec may take on more of that work.

A wide grip puts the pec at a disadvantage through leverage and in my opinion can transfer an enormous load to the pec if the technique is adjusted to ensure that this happens.

When benching with a wide grip there is a tendancy to take advantage of the fact that the bar is solid and to push outwards. This transfers load onto the triceps and away from the pec. If you choose not to push out and actually attempt to push your hands together as you press then the pec has to take over.

+1 Slight differences in technique.
Flare the elbows = more shoulder (and injury risk).
Tuck elbows against body/waist = almost no pec.
I said slightly wider grip if pec development is wanted. Recently 3 people have suddenly developed more chest from benching with the aim of using more pec.

Why is putting the muscle at a leverage disadvantage better?
Honest question
it makes the muscle work harder, more stress makes it develop more

Better for development of the pec, or recruiting the pec muscle if that is more useful than your delts.

Why is putting the muscle at a leverage disadvantage better?
Honest question

I get your point because you compensate for the disadvantage by adjusting the load but I think there may still be an advantage. With a narrow grip at lockout there is minimal load on anything, with a wide grip at lockout the pec is still at peak contraction due to the fact that the skeleton is not in position to take the weight. You have to either keep forcing your hands together or force your hands apart to support the weight. Which one you choose determines which muscle is doing the work.

it makes the muscle work harder, more stress makes it develop more

Better for development of the pec, or recruiting the pec muscle if that is more useful than your delts.

I get your point because you compensate for the disadvantage by adjusting the load but I think there may still be an advantage. With a narrow grip at lockout there is minimal load on anything, with a wide grip at lockout the pec is still at peak contraction due to the fact that the skeleton is not in position to take the weight. You have to either keep forcing your hands together or force your hands apart to support the weight. Which one you choose determines which muscle is doing the work.

I don't see how it would place any more stress than adding more weight or doing more volume
More to the point, if your goal is hypertrophy then why are you not using dumbbells for a complete range of motion?
It all seems to hypothetical to me. id you want a big chest, bench 140kg for a set of 20 with whatever grip or equipment

I have asked quite a few people over the years, “…why do you use wide-grip bench presses?”
And the answer has invariably been the same, “...because they stretch my pectorals more than narrow-grip bench presses.”

But in fact, they do not; on the contrary, wide-grip bench presses actually prevent any stretching of the pectorals—the pectorals attach the upper arms to the front of the chest, and in order to stretch the pectorals it is necessary to move the upper arms as far back as possible, and with a wide grip on a barbell it is literally impossible to move the upper arms far enough back to stretch the pectorals at all.

But at the end of the day, it is presses over-head, behind the neck, dips, where there is more movement around the shoulder that builds the shoulder.

If you want big boobs, do flys.

More to the point, if your goal is hypertrophy then why are you not using dumbbells for a complete range of motion?

Because there is more to hypertrophy than range of motion. It is one of the most overrated concepts in the world of lifting heavy things. There's a can of worms for you.

I don't see how it would place any more stress than adding more weight or doing more volume
It all seems to hypothetical to me. id you want a big chest, bench 140kg for a set of 20 with whatever grip or equipment

Dumbbells are a great idea, and a damn good point.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Oh man...