• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
"Your morals are your morals, who am I to judge you? But who are you to judge me?"

Ah Louie =)

All good vids btw man! Have all of them in favourites lol. Ill sort through them one day and link a playlist. Probably close to 300 videos relating to PL, training motivation and general badassery.

Side note, I actually got flamed on a Crossfit Fail video for saying Shane Sweatt and the Bamboo bar shouldn't be in this video... A bunch of people voted down my comment and what little hope I had for the general YouTube community died =(

Brief summary of the training methods? I can't be bothered to watch them and I have no idea what your training looks like

If it involves box squatting you can fuck right off though

I'm not going to go into too much detail as I have been over this a million times

A proper box squat needs you to squat with your shins vertical. This is not how a raw squat looks like at all. Squatting like this will only cause misery unless you happen to naturally squat like that. The mechanics are not different enough though so box squats will alter your squat mechanics. The only real benefit is as a posterior chain builder but there are uncountable exercises that do this. There is nothing magical about a box squat for the raw lifter

If you don't compete in the squat though it is a good exercise, for example if you're a football player or compete in strongman

What in the fuck? Scott maybe clean this thread up sometime.

In regards to unracking, set your bench heights to as low as they can go without you having to press the bar out too much. Depending on the type of bench you have you might have to make a compromise here but try to minimise shoulder activation and just use your tris if possible. As Von said fill your lungs with air and expand the chest, tense the lats, etc, like if you were about to start the press. Then try to pull the bar out of the racks rather than press. Use your tris if you need to make a little bit of a pressing movement but try not to let you shoulders activate too much as this usually leads to losing your setup on the bench.

So press up with tris then pull the bar over to the chest.

Freako, as an almost 2x bw bencher, do you just pick a grip width and stick with it? Or use more than one grip fairly often?

vonfram et al's suggestion of filling the air with lunges helped a fair bit for me. Definitely feels better. I was taking a big breath before lifting obviously but not using the breath to specifically raise my sternum before unracking the bar

Thanks

+1

Also my arch changes a lot depending on where my programming is at.

I am the same. Higher volume, low intensity stuff further out from comp I use a pretty loose arch (though still probably tighter than most people). I only crank my comp arch for maybe a rep or 2 every so often to stay in form.

Closer to comp and when I'm hitting higher intensity numbers for 1, 2, or 3 reps then the comp arch is used constantly to make sure I am well practiced and limber enough for the setup.

My next comp will be take even more planning with the arch as the "Minh Special" is brutal on my back and cannot be used constantly.

vonfram et al's suggestion of filling the air with lunges helped a fair bit for me. Definitely feels better. I was taking a big breath before lifting obviously but not using the breath to specifically raise my sternum before unracking the bar

Thanks

Sternum elevation is an important athletic skill. I'm not sure how to train for it but once the body learns it, it's like riding a bike.

Lol i find it funny how i start thinking that belief is one of the most important things in training then wendler writes anout it... Thats like the third times its happened

I liked wendlers more than tates, his didnt really help much