• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench assistance

JazDSpaz

Tough Mudder in training
I've got a terrible bench, what will make it better is benching more. I'm curious as to what you guys do as assistance to help bench more.

I know Dips help, ive read that overhead work helps. Is there anything else I can do to help it?

Usually, the best way to bench more is to bench more.
More sets.
More often.
Assistance work helps, but only offers bang for buck where you are selecting assistance work that directly addresses your weak points, which is different for every lifter. Overhead work and dips are great, but they will not directly translate to a bigger bench press for everyone that uses them.

Play around with set-up;
feet, torso positioning on the bench, hand placement to reduce rom.
practice, practice, practice.

biuld strength in the triceps; french press.

make sure you are also maintaining and improving strength and condition in the upper back.
2/1 ratio of exercise.
practice your bench everyday.

Play around with set-up;
feet, torso positioning on the bench, hand placement to reduce rom.
practice, practice, practice.

biuld strength in the triceps; french press.

make sure you are also maintaining and improving strength and condition in the upper back.
2/1 ratio of exercise.
practice your bench everyday.

I've got my setup good and I feel strong pushing them out (finally) so I'm pleased with that.

Will make sure triceps get plenty of work aswell as my upper back.

Hows your upper body mobility - shoulders, and muscle tightness - pecs, triceps?

I had a tough time with bench a few months back mainly attributed by my left pec which was tighter than the starlets in that New Sensations movie I watched the other night.
All fixed once the knots were kneaded and stretched out.

Hows your upper body mobility - shoulders, and muscle tightness - pecs, triceps?

I had a tough time with bench a few months back mainly attributed by my left pec which was tighter than the starlets in that New Sensations movie I watched the other night.
All fixed once the knots were kneaded and stretched out.

Mobility feels good. Bit of tightness due to getting back into training after a small hiatus.

I'll make sure I stretch thoroughly before and after the workout.

Theres a new gym with the gym chain im member of near my work. They have bench chains. Trying them out now for my second sheiko bench sets. Big chest pump.

Rear delt flys
Band pull aparts
Lat pulldown
Db/machine flys
Lateral raise
Board presses
Close grip press

Most of all though - TRICEPS, TRICEPS, TRICEPS, TRICEPS - 100 band pressdowns a day + gym/heavy tricep work 1-2 a week.

Rear delt flys
Band pull aparts
Lat pulldown
Db/machine flys
Lateral raise
Board presses
Close grip press

Most of all though - TRICEPS, TRICEPS, TRICEPS, TRICEPS - 100 band pressdowns a day + gym/heavy tricep work 1-2 a week.

All good "exercises" for for the tool box.

(not sure about board presses though)
in terms of building a strong healthy flexible shoulder girdle.

There are many many exercise one can pick over a protracted time, the trick is to do them "properly".

the bench press in my mind is a potential shoulder wrecker, if one is to focus on it, it really pays to work on many planes (angles) around the shoulder.

All good "exercises" for for the tool box.

(not sure about board presses though)
in terms of building a strong healthy flexible shoulder girdle.

There are many many exercise one can pick over a protracted time, the trick is to do them "properly".

the bench press in my mind is a potential shoulder wrecker, if one is to focus on it, it really pays to work on many planes (angles) around the shoulder.

Board press is fantastic at increasing your bench or working on weak points - or even doing such things as close grip drop sets with increasing boards i.e 1 board, 2 board, 3 board, 4 board - drop weight - work your way back down etc.

Board press and variations of are a proven way to help increase your overall bench press.

Unsure what boardpress has to do with the shoulders per se.

If a bench press is done correctly the main muscle that will be used to "press" the weight are Lats/Rear delts/Triceps - then front delts/chest (to a degree)

Of course no1 should be doing any exercises if not performed properly.

Board press is fantastic at increasing your bench or working on weak points - or even doing such things as close grip drop sets with increasing boards i.e 1 board, 2 board, 3 board, 4 board - drop weight - work your way back down etc.

Board press and variations of are a proven way to help increase your overall bench press.

Unsure what boardpress has to do with the shoulders per se.

If a bench press is done correctly the main muscle that will be used to "press" the weight are Lats/Rear delts/Triceps - then front delts/chest (to a degree)

Of course no1 should be doing any exercises if not performed properly.

I'm bored so I'll write this...

In relation to the board press Over doing an exercise is not a good idea, especially when you are concentrating on a movement where the load is focused on the extended position of the exercise.

it would be far safer to do the exercise properly and exhibit a bit of patience and work on progression over the full range over time you'll get better, as with any exercise if the is no improvement, your doing sumting Wong

if the bench press is done correctly, the muscles doing the mechanical work will be the anterior delts taking the brunt of the load, followed by the triceps, then the pecs, hence pec tears.

the lats stabilize the shoulder, the "rear" (which in this case you speak out of) deltoids do not play a key role in a mechanical sense.

if you don't agree, then there is an old Chinese saying; rots ov ruk

I'm bored so I'll write this...

In relation to the board press Over doing an exercise is not a good idea, especially when you are concentrating on a movement where the load is focused on the extended position of the exercise.

it would be far safer to do the exercise properly and exhibit a bit of patience and work on progression over the full range over time you'll get better, as with any exercise if the is no improvement, your doing sumting Wong

if the bench press is done correctly, the muscles doing the mechanical work will be the anterior delts taking the brunt of the load, followed by the triceps, then the pecs, hence pec tears.

the lats stabilize the shoulder, the "rear" (which in this case you speak out of) deltoids do not play a key role in a mechanical sense.

if you don't agree, then there is an old Chinese saying; rots ov ruk

I appreciate your reply - somethings I agree with and some things I don't of course I didn't suggest replacing the bench press with board press but it is a fantastic assistance/variation exercise.

At the end of the day I was simply listing some exercises that have helped me and that have been proven to work over time.

Having strong powerful triceps will always make the biggest impact when trying to get a big bench - look at most of the good/great powerlifting bench presses - huge triceps, traps, lats - alot normally have fairly "under-developed" chests

The only thing that has gotten my bench moving recently is more bench. Im benching 3 and 4 times a week using 6 or so variations. Bench.
Board pressing.
Overhead pressing.
Long paused bench.
Close grip
Floor press.

The extra back method helped a little last time...but more benching is proving itself a winner.

Yep at the end of the day - if you want a big bench then bench - I have had my best Bench results by benching 3-4 times per week - then of course adding these assistance exercises in aswell.

when you say bench 3-4 times a week, are these like a full body routine? bench, squat, DL, overhead press etc.

im contemplating doing this as ive always done a split routine but worried about not getting enough focus and volume in to each bodypart during each workout.