• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Belts and Lifting Big

lozzo

At what sort of weights should i start using a belt for squats, deadlifts, or even military press?

When the weight is putting a lot of strain on your back... if you progress without a belt, then keep going until you cant anymore...

You seem to have some good lifts, use it when you feel the need..

Im after a serious answer to my question, your smart-ass comments are not needed oliver04.

Lozzo your question didn't require a serious answer because it was adequately dealt with through use of the search function.

There isn't a set weight to put on a belt and you might choose to never do so, but the fact that novices have enough trouble learning the movements suggests that you probably need some experience, so maybe when you're an intermediate lifter.

Lozzo, I have never used a belf before, I read in a Muscle and Fitness Mag a few years ago, that you should avoid to use one, proper technique and strength you wont require one....I dont think thats entirely true, if your lifting more weight than the average joe i think you should use one.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

If your back can't support the weight, should you really be trying to lift it regardless of whether you've got a belt or not?
It's not as though they are a 100% guarantee against injury either.

As Oliver said most beginners have trouble with the movements themselves, and aren't likely to really stress their back until 6-9 months of training (after all the physiological adaptions have occurred and you're actually working at 'max strength').

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

a better question would've been when did you start using a belt for squats, dead and presses?

I started using one for squats when my 1rm was 142.5 and I only use my belt on over 120kg working sets. on deads i only use it for max attempts, and i dont use one for presses

Belts are generally a matter of personal preference. IMO they should be mainly reserved for heavy max attempts and not overused on lighter lifts. As I've got stronger I've actually found myself using my belt less and less but I still train to use it as I plan on using it when I compete and feel that I get at least an extra 5-10kg carryover from it. Learning to use your belt properly is part of the learning experience.

Serious question. Is a belt going to stop you popping a disc or getting a hernia?

Personally, I think the minute you start using a belt you are capping your potential.

A belt is not going to make you a better or worse lifter.

Try one, if you like the way it feels, wear it.

Personally, I hated them, others love them.

There is no answer to your question.

Olivers Seinfeld gag was pretty special though

I started wearing a belt around 170kg squats and deadlifts. It adds a bit of stability when I'm in the hole but I don't think it's adding more than 5kg to my lifts. (In fact I've squatted 180 without a belt and 185 with, I'll see how it affects my training over the next 6 months as a couple of months is not enough time to tell. At this point I think it will be useful.)

If you use one use it judiciously.

And remember that plenty of people have gotten strong both with and without a belt.

EDIT: Also if you don't have lifting shoes they are more important than a belt.

Really, we need to explain that Dan???????

The most genetically gifted lifters in the world wear them, we plebs should take their lead.

Is that enough?

Are you asking what the difference is between barefoot lifting and lifting shoes or the difference between joggers and lifting shoes? Barefoot is the next best thing to lifting shoes IMO, joggers provide too much cushioning.

Yes I would like to know what the difference is between barefoot lifting and lifting shoes? Why is it so important to have lifting shoes, what do they do/help?

Sorry mate, I can't help you. My previous post contains ALL my knowledge on lifting shoes.... But as far as I know barefoot is the next best thing.

Try doing a search and you should find all the info you need.