• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The platinum one at QV, which means I can use the others if need be.

Got a whole separate thread happening about why I started there and which gym I should to go to once I'm out of FF (contract done soon).

ah, I train predominately out of mel central - usually deadlifting on fridays. =) it's good fun taking all the plates from the PT's

The platinum one at QV, which means I can use the others if need be.

Got a whole separate thread happening about why I started there and which gym I should to go to once I'm out of FF (contract done soon).

ah, I train predominately out of mel central - usually deadlifting on fridays. =) it's good fun taking all the plates from the PT's

I was in a similar position, I found that the SS book and DVD was enough to get me going and moving through the initial novice gains. After a while as the weight started to increase I then started to post up some form check videos and got some 1 on 1 training sessions and attended a workshop at PTC Sydney.

The theory behind starting strength is you can do it yourself, why not give it a go? If not, you don't want personal training sessions, you want strength training sessions if that makes sense.

Either way, good luck :)

Great advice.

I don't particularly want to spend any money on trainers... but was interested to see how others went getting started, whether or not they needed help.

My main worry was that in not being able to see your form, I'd think I have it like I see in the vids, but actually don't. But if you found the vids and book enough to get started successfully, then great!

I was in a similar position, I found that the SS book and DVD was enough to get me going and moving through the initial novice gains. After a while as the weight started to increase I then started to post up some form check videos and got some 1 on 1 training sessions and attended a workshop at PTC Sydney.

The theory behind starting strength is you can do it yourself, why not give it a go? If not, you don't want personal training sessions, you want strength training sessions if that makes sense.

Either way, good luck :)

Great advice.

I don't particularly want to spend any money on trainers... but was interested to see how others went getting started, whether or not they needed help.

My main worry was that in not being able to see your form, I'd think I have it like I see in the vids, but actually don't. But if you found the vids and book enough to get started successfully, then great!

Great advice.

Just setup your phone and record if you ever want to check on something. Pay close attention to the SS book - most things are pretty simple, eg: bar moves in a straight line, if you keep that in your mind your body works out what to do.

Great advice.

Just setup your phone and record if you ever want to check on something. Pay close attention to the SS book - most things are pretty simple, eg: bar moves in a straight line, if you keep that in your mind your body works out what to do.

I followed a basic program similar to what the OP recommends for about 6 months and I'm now at those lifts (at least for upper body which is injury free). My goal is strength.

PTC you seem to know what you're talking about - what programs do you recommend once someone has stalled on the 3 sets of 8 ones, or progressed past the lifts in the OP?

I switched to a program with about 4 sets of fairly low reps for each major compound exercise with 2-3 days between work outs but I've stalled. My weight lifting buddy recommends adjusting the volume to 5 sets of 5. I was interested in your opinion and what you typically put your people on once they're above the lifts you recommend in the OP.

Do you recommend subbing out bench for incline bench or a different exercise if you stall on a core one?

To poster below - yes I'm at the weights in the OP looking to mix things up, thinking perhaps a rep/set variation but keeping to the lifts I've been doing (bench, overhead press, chin ups, squats). Only bench and OHP have really stalled however (at around 105kg and 62kg). I like the bench, chin ups, and OHP especially, can't think of any really good variations. Practising assisted one hand chins has really helped me break through though on back/arms.

Last edited:
I followed a basic program similar to what the OP recommends for about 6 months and I'm now at those lifts (at least for upper body which is injury free). My goal is strength.

PTC you seem to know what you're talking about - what programs do you recommend once someone has stalled on the 3 sets of 8 ones, or progressed past the lifts in the OP?

I switched to a program with about 4 sets of fairly low reps for each major compound exercise with 2-3 days between work outs but I've stalled. My weight lifting buddy recommends adjusting the volume to 5 sets of 5. I was interested in your opinion and what you typically put your people on once they're above the lifts you recommend in the OP.

Do you recommend subbing out bench for incline bench or a different exercise if you stall on a core one?

To poster below - yes I'm at the weights in the OP looking to mix things up, thinking perhaps a rep/set variation but keeping to the lifts I've been doing (bench, overhead press, chin ups, squats). Only bench and OHP have really stalled however (at around 105kg and 62kg). I like the bench, chin ups, and OHP especially, can't think of any really good variations. Practising assisted one hand chins has really helped me break through though on back/arms.

Stalled at what weights? If close to the numbers mentioned in the original post, perhaps its time for a different program.
If you stalled at much lower weights then id suggest
A) get someone to look at your form to make sure its right
B) post up your food log for critique
C) ensure your sleeping enough and doing enough mobility work.

If not one of the above then you must have a physical disability in which case the numbers in the above post dont apply to you.

Edit - just noticed you said "at those lifts", in which case give ppp or wendlers ago, depending on your goals.

Stalled at what weights? If close to the numbers mentioned in the original post, perhaps its time for a different program.
If you stalled at much lower weights then id suggest
A) get someone to look at your form to make sure its right
B) post up your food log for critique
C) ensure your sleeping enough and doing enough mobility work.

If not one of the above then you must have a physical disability in which case the numbers in the above post dont apply to you.

Edit - just noticed you said "at those lifts", in which case give ppp or wendlers ago, depending on your goals.

Generally you should be able to get a lot further than the 140/100/180 using this beginners program. Like wingman said get someone to check your form, nutrition and make sure you are getting a consistent 8 hours sleep.

Its these other factors that tend to make the biggest difference to your training.

If you are progressively overloading as this program suggests you should be able to progress quite far.

In terms of what to do when you get to the point when you "plateau" it really depends on the athlete as to what they need. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and availability of equipment. If you can get in to a PTC in your state you should consider going in for a 1-1 to go through your lifts and perhaps look at programming.

We have lifters at PTC doing a range of different programs at varying levels - from 5/3/1, Sheiko, SMOLOV, PPP etc...

Generally you should be able to get a lot further than the 140/100/180 using this beginners program. Like wingman said get someone to check your form, nutrition and make sure you are getting a consistent 8 hours sleep.

Its these other factors that tend to make the biggest difference to your training.

If you are progressively overloading as this program suggests you should be able to progress quite far.

In terms of what to do when you get to the point when you "plateau" it really depends on the athlete as to what they need. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and availability of equipment. If you can get in to a PTC in your state you should consider going in for a 1-1 to go through your lifts and perhaps look at programming.

We have lifters at PTC doing a range of different programs at varying levels - from 5/3/1, Sheiko, SMOLOV, PPP etc...

Yes thanks I am considering some 1-1 training and programming suggestions. I'm in brissy - probably gonna hit up one of the local gyms there, e.g. PTC Brisbane.

Sticking with the program I'm on and just accepting slower progress might be the way, not sure, but it pays to talk to people who know what they're going on about - so much BS out there.

Yes thanks I am considering some 1-1 training and programming suggestions. I'm in brissy - probably gonna hit up one of the local gyms there, e.g. PTC Brisbane.

Sticking with the program I'm on and just accepting slower progress might be the way, not sure, but it pays to talk to people who know what they're going on about - so much BS out there.

This has been something which has been bugging me for some time. I have been performing what I believed was a "stiff legged deadlift" (but not so stiff because my hamstrings are tight, and I am only slowly gaining flexibility there eg growing up I could never touch my toes), but it turns out it may actually be a romanian deadlift?

If I was to start this program (which I am considering doing once the soccer season finishes and I am able to hit legs on Friday and not be fatigued for Saturday's game), would I be doing "SLDL's" if I started from an upright position and slowly lowered the weight while simultaneously:
- pushing my hips back
- keeping my back straight
- trying to keep my legs with only a slight bend (although in reality they end up quite bent currently)

and stopping just before my back rounds, then returning to the upright position.

When I do this - this is one hell of a hamstring exercise.. to the point that it's become one of my favourite exercises.

Anyway I know that it is slightly off topic, but I think it is quite relevant because every time I've picked through pages in this thread, someone has asked about the deadlift (but I couldn't see an answer to this question).

Guidance would be much appreciated.

like Goosey's already replied, you're on the right track. Also, known as RDL, a Romanian Deadlift was first used in ... Romania, by Olympic lifters as 'assistance' exercise to the pulling phase of olympic lifting. I too adopted long ago as a favourite, but I have a love/hate relation with it because it can take me up to a week to recover completely from them. The Eastern Europeans 'invented' a few staple exercises around today, another favourite of mine is the Hungarian Squat (also know sometimes as a single leg squat, but this name also refers to other exercises).

Also, if you've always played soccer, your tight hamstrings might be due to that. Soccer players often have tight hamstrings, basically due to the kicking they do. Nature has given the body natural safety mechanisms, one of them being your hamstrings kick into overdrive when swinging the leg for a soccer kick to prevent the knee from overextending. Repetitive kicking eventually leads to reduced range of motion (ROM) in the hamstrings.

This has been something which has been bugging me for some time. I have been performing what I believed was a "stiff legged deadlift" (but not so stiff because my hamstrings are tight, and I am only slowly gaining flexibility there eg growing up I could never touch my toes), but it turns out it may actually be a romanian deadlift?

If I was to start this program (which I am considering doing once the soccer season finishes and I am able to hit legs on Friday and not be fatigued for Saturday's game), would I be doing "SLDL's" if I started from an upright position and slowly lowered the weight while simultaneously:
- pushing my hips back
- keeping my back straight
- trying to keep my legs with only a slight bend (although in reality they end up quite bent currently)

and stopping just before my back rounds, then returning to the upright position.

When I do this - this is one hell of a hamstring exercise.. to the point that it's become one of my favourite exercises.

Anyway I know that it is slightly off topic, but I think it is quite relevant because every time I've picked through pages in this thread, someone has asked about the deadlift (but I couldn't see an answer to this question).

Guidance would be much appreciated.

like Goosey's already replied, you're on the right track. Also, known as RDL, a Romanian Deadlift was first used in ... Romania, by Olympic lifters as 'assistance' exercise to the pulling phase of olympic lifting. I too adopted long ago as a favourite, but I have a love/hate relation with it because it can take me up to a week to recover completely from them. The Eastern Europeans 'invented' a few staple exercises around today, another favourite of mine is the Hungarian Squat (also know sometimes as a single leg squat, but this name also refers to other exercises).

Also, if you've always played soccer, your tight hamstrings might be due to that. Soccer players often have tight hamstrings, basically due to the kicking they do. Nature has given the body natural safety mechanisms, one of them being your hamstrings kick into overdrive when swinging the leg for a soccer kick to prevent the knee from overextending. Repetitive kicking eventually leads to reduced range of motion (ROM) in the hamstrings.

When I did it and when I get other people to do it (I normally have a few people in my gym) I pair the antagonistic movements. And I always like to do SOHP before bench as it's always worked well for me for general shoulder warm up.

1a SOHP
1b row
2a squat
2b bench
3a SLDL (actually Romanian DL)
3b chins (no curls in my gym until repping chins with some weight :))

For an absolute beginner, chins = either anti shrugs & negatives or another set of rows to keep the shoulders healthy.

Re form: 100% youtube & reading taught until I did my first technique check with Scott at PTC Brisbane. He said I was spot on :)

Joe: They run the progressive poundage program at PTC for pretty much anyone but Markos was saying that they would switch when they get close to the 140/100/180 mark before.

When I did it and when I get other people to do it (I normally have a few people in my gym) I pair the antagonistic movements. And I always like to do SOHP before bench as it's always worked well for me for general shoulder warm up.

1a SOHP
1b row
2a squat
2b bench
3a SLDL (actually Romanian DL)
3b chins (no curls in my gym until repping chins with some weight :))

For an absolute beginner, chins = either anti shrugs & negatives or another set of rows to keep the shoulders healthy.

Re form: 100% youtube & reading taught until I did my first technique check with Scott at PTC Brisbane. He said I was spot on :)

Joe: They run the progressive poundage program at PTC for pretty much anyone but Markos was saying that they would switch when they get close to the 140/100/180 mark before.