• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I can't do chins!!! Can't even get myself off the ground... Where do I start?

Encentuated the negative.

Jump up on a box and *slowly lower yourself down and repeat

By the time you can do ten of those you will be able to do a handful of conventional ones, give it a crack.

Whenever you walk past a bar do a couple.

*30 seconds slow.

I can't do chins!!! Can't even get myself off the ground... Where do I start?

By the time you can do ten of those you will be able to do a handful of conventional ones, give it a crack.

*30 seconds slow.

*30 seconds slow.

Thanks mate

*30 seconds slow.

Thanks mate

I did sets of 'Australian chin ups' when I started. I was a fat bastard back then and couldn't do a normal one either. I switched to regular chins pretty quickly. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GpXAbF3m4"]Julian demonstrates Australian Pull up - YouTube[/ame]

I would do something more structured than 'everytime I walk past the bar'. Do maybe 3 sets of aussie pull ups then say 3 jump ups / eccentrics once every 2-3 days.

I can do around 15 chin ups at the moment and 1 single with 50kg attached, working towards 1 hander..... you will get there, but it sure is a tough exercise.

I did sets of 'Australian chin ups' when I started. I was a fat bastard back then and couldn't do a normal one either. I switched to regular chins pretty quickly. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GpXAbF3m4"]Julian demonstrates Australian Pull up - YouTube[/ame]

I would do something more structured than 'everytime I walk past the bar'. Do maybe 3 sets of aussie pull ups then say 3 jump ups / eccentrics once every 2-3 days.

I can do around 15 chin ups at the moment and 1 single with 50kg attached, working towards 1 hander..... you will get there, but it sure is a tough exercise.

And anti-shrugs. Dead hang from the bar and contract you're lats to raise up a few inches. Few sets to failure. The bottom is the hardest bit.

And anti-shrugs. Dead hang from the bar and contract you're lats to raise up a few inches. Few sets to failure. The bottom is the hardest bit.

If you go to a large commercial gym, chances are they have an assisted chins/dips combo machine - useful for us newbies who are also a bit heavy :p

If you go to a large commercial gym, chances are they have an assisted chins/dips combo machine - useful for us newbies who are also a bit heavy :p

The assist machine definitely helps early on.

I could do maybe 5-6 chinups per set not all that long ago. Recently have been doing 10 sets of 10 on the minimum weight on the assist (-5kg?), and on Tuesday I did 14/12/10 unassisted at the end of a workout - definite progress.

Just do the "drop" bit slowly and in control (count to 4 or something), and do the pull up bit as fast as possible.

The assist machine definitely helps early on.

I could do maybe 5-6 chinups per set not all that long ago. Recently have been doing 10 sets of 10 on the minimum weight on the assist (-5kg?), and on Tuesday I did 14/12/10 unassisted at the end of a workout - definite progress.

Just do the "drop" bit slowly and in control (count to 4 or something), and do the pull up bit as fast as possible.

I did sets of 'Australian chin ups' when I started. I was a fat bastard back then and couldn't do a normal one either. I switched to regular chins pretty quickly. Julian demonstrates Australian Pull up - YouTube

a

Last edited:
I did sets of 'Australian chin ups' when I started. I was a fat bastard back then and couldn't do a normal one either. I switched to regular chins pretty quickly. Julian demonstrates Australian Pull up - YouTube

a

Funny enough, I think i'm not far off these lifts which sounded impossible to me when I first saw them :p. I'll be going for a 120-130 squat at PTC comp, 80-90 bench and 160-170+ deadlift. If I can nail all of those, i'm almost there :)

Funny enough, I think i'm not far off these lifts which sounded impossible to me when I first saw them :p. I'll be going for a 120-130 squat at PTC comp, 80-90 bench and 160-170+ deadlift. If I can nail all of those, i'm almost there :)