• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Just do starting strength. Easy program.

A.
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

B.
Squat
Press
Power Clean

Best beginners program I have seen and easy to do. Buy the book, fucking awesome
SS is a great program, but if you're suggesting it to the guy who doesn't have enough time to do the program that this thread's actually about, you're wasting your time - as soon as SS gets hard, you'll be looking at about 90min per session, without the inclusion of any assistance exercises.

Just do starting strength. Easy program.

A.
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

B.
Squat
Press
Power Clean

Best beginners program I have seen and easy to do. Buy the book, fucking awesome
SS is a great program, but if you're suggesting it to the guy who doesn't have enough time to do the program that this thread's actually about, you're wasting your time - as soon as SS gets hard, you'll be looking at about 90min per session, without the inclusion of any assistance exercises.

It will but same with the program at the start of this thread. SS is great because there are only 3 exercises to start the program in each session. So it should keep him going for a while

It will but same with the program at the start of this thread. SS is great because there are only 3 exercises to start the program in each session. So it should keep him going for a while

Could someone please explain the reasoning behind why the squat has sets of 10, whereas all other lifts have sets of only 8?

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Cheers,
Mike

Could someone please explain the reasoning behind why the squat has sets of 10, whereas all other lifts have sets of only 8?

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Cheers,
Mike

Cos squats are awsome.
(no seriously, that's the best I've got)

I always thought it odd that Markos didn't like 5x5 because there isn't enough volume but 5x5 is more reps than 3x8 lol

Cos squats are awsome.
(no seriously, that's the best I've got)

I always thought it odd that Markos didn't like 5x5 because there isn't enough volume but 5x5 is more reps than 3x8 lol

Yeah, I don't get doing higher rep squats, either. Rumour has it that legs respond better to higher rep work, but I find higher rep squats just mean more cardiovascular fatigue getting in the way of strength building.

Markos' aversion to 5x5 from what I saw earlier in the thread seemed to be based on the (false) premise that 5x5 routines are exclusively designed for intermediate trainees, just because Bill Starr's intermediate routine is, well, intermediate. But there are far too many interpretations of just what 5x5 can be, thus it can be used in the context of probably all levels a trainee might be at.

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot this ISN'T all pro's simple beginner's routine from bb.com.

Yeah, I don't get doing higher rep squats, either. Rumour has it that legs respond better to higher rep work, but I find higher rep squats just mean more cardiovascular fatigue getting in the way of strength building.

Markos' aversion to 5x5 from what I saw earlier in the thread seemed to be based on the (false) premise that 5x5 routines are exclusively designed for intermediate trainees, just because Bill Starr's intermediate routine is, well, intermediate. But there are far too many interpretations of just what 5x5 can be, thus it can be used in the context of probably all levels a trainee might be at.

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot this ISN'T all pro's simple beginner's routine from bb.com.

Some sites show studies that the legs (more particularly hamstrings) mainly consist of fast twitch muscle fibres.
So they would respond better to lower reps (in theory)

Some sites show studies that the legs (more particularly hamstrings) mainly consist of fast twitch muscle fibres.
So they would respond better to lower reps (in theory)

I have to admit when I first read this thread and the post at the start about what qualifies you as a beginner I though "Shit, I thought I was doing ok but I am still a beginner".
Now that I'm close to those weights for reps I can see that I am definitely still at the lower end of the scale when it comes to strength. I'm just about to transition to an intermediate type program (I've progressed this far using SL and SS) but I've got a long way to go.
I definitely agree that EVERYONE should be starting on a basic strength program like the one listed (or SS or SL) until their lifts get to this level. No matter what your goals, basic fundamental strength is key and the results that these programs give you are undeniable. (My personal opinion leans towards the 5x5 style programs but PTC gets results too so I won't argue)
I would think less about the whys and wherefores and just get under the bar and do it. Train hard, eat well, rest, repeat.
You will see results.

I have to admit when I first read this thread and the post at the start about what qualifies you as a beginner I though "Shit, I thought I was doing ok but I am still a beginner".
Now that I'm close to those weights for reps I can see that I am definitely still at the lower end of the scale when it comes to strength. I'm just about to transition to an intermediate type program (I've progressed this far using SL and SS) but I've got a long way to go.
I definitely agree that EVERYONE should be starting on a basic strength program like the one listed (or SS or SL) until their lifts get to this level. No matter what your goals, basic fundamental strength is key and the results that these programs give you are undeniable. (My personal opinion leans towards the 5x5 style programs but PTC gets results too so I won't argue)
I would think less about the whys and wherefores and just get under the bar and do it. Train hard, eat well, rest, repeat.
You will see results.