• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
You have been doing the above beginners program for 1.5 years and your max bench is 40lbs plus smith bar? Did you forget to eat some food?

Start with just the bar for squatting. Do your 3 sets of 10 reps. Next workout add 2.5kg or 5lbs. Continue until you can't do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Pullups aren't in this program. If you gain strength (and/or lose weight) you will be able to do a pullup anyway.

Consistency of training is the key. Don't take 6 months off. If you do, you will no doubt lose a fair portion of the strength you gain from resistance training. If you reached a certain strength or weight goal, then you can go into more of a maintenance mode and this is more to do with diet than exercise. You should still do some workouts every now and again at minimum or you will lose strength. As well as this, if you are eating above maintenance level (to gain weight and strength) and then stop exercising then this additional intake will be fat not muscle. Not what you are looking for I guess :)

Thank you for replying. on the bench I can press with 70 lbs/ 30 kg total weight including the bar. the smith machine bench press numbers I provided were a few months old. About the diet, I am a strict vegetarian. I don't eat eggs too. I don't take protein supplements. Could be why I;m not very strong. I'll start the squat with just the bar. Would you recommend the same for SLDL? to start with just the bar.

You have been doing the above beginners program for 1.5 years and your max bench is 40lbs plus smith bar? Did you forget to eat some food?

Start with just the bar for squatting. Do your 3 sets of 10 reps. Next workout add 2.5kg or 5lbs. Continue until you can't do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Pullups aren't in this program. If you gain strength (and/or lose weight) you will be able to do a pullup anyway.

Consistency of training is the key. Don't take 6 months off. If you do, you will no doubt lose a fair portion of the strength you gain from resistance training. If you reached a certain strength or weight goal, then you can go into more of a maintenance mode and this is more to do with diet than exercise. You should still do some workouts every now and again at minimum or you will lose strength. As well as this, if you are eating above maintenance level (to gain weight and strength) and then stop exercising then this additional intake will be fat not muscle. Not what you are looking for I guess :)

Thank you for replying. on the bench I can press with 70 lbs/ 30 kg total weight including the bar. the smith machine bench press numbers I provided were a few months old. About the diet, I am a strict vegetarian. I don't eat eggs too. I don't take protein supplements. Could be why I;m not very strong. I'll start the squat with just the bar. Would you recommend the same for SLDL? to start with just the bar.

Start with whatever you feel comfortable with - if it's the bar it's the bar, hell, it can be a broomstick if you're unsure
No protein won't help. You do realize you need it to live and be healthy?

Start with whatever you feel comfortable with - if it's the bar it's the bar, hell, it can be a broomstick if you're unsure

Squats I can understand because you have to drag up your own weight, but normally 'bigger' people progress pretty well in the bench press
Normally even if people are given a piece of shit program you still at least see progress in that program if nothing else

As for constructive? Go to a real gym. If it doesn't have a squat rack or something to squat in then it's just about useless

Ps 135lbs is tiny
I have to ask this - are you male or female?

Thank you for replying. I'm a male, 25 yo. I was 30+ kg / 66+ lbs overweight when I joined a gym for the first time (aug 2009) in my life. I lead an extremely sedentary life before I joined the gym. watching too much tv/ internet suffing.

I could hardly manage 15 bent knee modified push ups when I joined the gym. I can manage 25 push ups on my toes now. I was not convinced that my gym was giving me the best weight trianing routine so after making a search online about training routines I stumbled upon this excellent forum. I am very much interested to follow the training given here, but not sure how i get started. I am a vegan (eggs restricted too) and don't consume protein supplements.

do you think it would be realistic for me to expect strength gains from this program without protein supplements and non meat eater diet / non egg diet?

my new gym has a smith machine but not a squat rack.

Last edited:
Squats I can understand because you have to drag up your own weight, but normally 'bigger' people progress pretty well in the bench press
Normally even if people are given a piece of shit program you still at least see progress in that program if nothing else

As for constructive? Go to a real gym. If it doesn't have a squat rack or something to squat in then it's just about useless

Ps 135lbs is tiny
I have to ask this - are you male or female?

Thank you for replying. I'm a male, 25 yo. I was 30+ kg / 66+ lbs overweight when I joined a gym for the first time (aug 2009) in my life. I lead an extremely sedentary life before I joined the gym. watching too much tv/ internet suffing.

I could hardly manage 15 bent knee modified push ups when I joined the gym. I can manage 25 push ups on my toes now. I was not convinced that my gym was giving me the best weight trianing routine so after making a search online about training routines I stumbled upon this excellent forum. I am very much interested to follow the training given here, but not sure how i get started. I am a vegan (eggs restricted too) and don't consume protein supplements.

do you think it would be realistic for me to expect strength gains from this program without protein supplements and non meat eater diet / non egg diet?

my new gym has a smith machine but not a squat rack.

^^This.

Edit:

there are some very knowledgeable people on this site that can help you fill the gaps in your diet. But thats a rather big 'gap'.

Do you eat nuts and drink milk?

Last edited:
^^This.

Edit:

there are some very knowledgeable people on this site that can help you fill the gaps in your diet. But thats a rather big 'gap'.

~ Nuts that I include in my diet are Almonds, Walnuts, Figs, Dates (seedless) , Raisin. I mix all these nuts and add a tsp of honey and eat them as a preworkout (20 minutes before) snack

~ My average daily milk ( 3% fat milk) consumption is 300 ml / 10 oz (no added sugar).

^^This.

Edit:

~ Nuts that I include in my diet are Almonds, Walnuts, Figs, Dates (seedless) , Raisin. I mix all these nuts and add a tsp of honey and eat them as a preworkout (20 minutes before) snack

~ My average daily milk ( 3% fat milk) consumption is 300 ml / 10 oz (no added sugar).

If you aren't against a protein shake post workout I'd be heading in that direction. Otherwise I hope you like milk lol
How tall are you? 135lbs is only about 60kg if my maths is correct. Not even I'm that light (according to hughesy and Kate I need to eat more ice cream lol)
If they don't have a squat rack look up how to lower clean and do front squats. Or somehow improvise to get the bar to a height where you can get under it comfortably
If you let us know where you live we might be able to point you to a better gym, or at least someone that can show you how to do all the exercises properly

If you aren't against a protein shake post workout I'd be heading in that direction. Otherwise I hope you like milk lol
How tall are you? 135lbs is only about 60kg if my maths is correct. Not even I'm that light (according to hughesy and Kate I need to eat more ice cream lol)
If they don't have a squat rack look up how to lower clean and do front squats. Or somehow improvise to get the bar to a height where you can get under it comfortably
If you let us know where you live we might be able to point you to a better gym, or at least someone that can show you how to do all the exercises properly

:) I live in a semi-urban city in the Indian subcontinent. I'm not against protein supplements. I find it too expensive. I am 5' 5" (168 cm) So Can I start the following program without any supplements and no squat rack at the gym?

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Frequency of the program is on alternate days?

Rest between sets?

:) I live in a semi-urban city in the Indian subcontinent. I'm not against protein supplements. I find it too expensive. I am 5' 5" (168 cm) So Can I start the following program without any supplements and no squat rack at the gym?

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Frequency of the program is on alternate days?

Rest between sets?

Squats may be a bit difficult unless you can power clean it like I suggested . . . I'm not sure what other suggestions people might have tbh
Deadlifts off a box maybe . . . Even UDLs with a DB

Anyone else got suggestions lol?

Squats may be a bit difficult unless you can power clean it like I suggested . . . I'm not sure what other suggestions people might have tbh
Deadlifts off a box maybe . . . Even UDLs with a DB

Anyone else got suggestions lol?

Markos had some home made squat stands/safety stands that looked like big boxes. If you can get some sort of boxes to use as squat racks it might help.

You could use dumbells held at shoulder height or get animal feed sacks on your back/shoulders and squat them. My chook food comes in 25kg and 40kg sacks. Otherwise fill them with sand and keep adding more as you get stronger. Plenty of ways to skin a cat...

Markos had some home made squat stands/safety stands that looked like big boxes. If you can get some sort of boxes to use as squat racks it might help.

You could use dumbells held at shoulder height or get animal feed sacks on your back/shoulders and squat them. My chook food comes in 25kg and 40kg sacks. Otherwise fill them with sand and keep adding more as you get stronger. Plenty of ways to skin a cat...