• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Nice program, I will give this a go for 3 months. But just a few questions. Answers, especially from Markos are greatly appreciated.
My goals are to reduce bodyfat and increase strength.

1. Should I repeat the same weight until I can do 8x3 (the full set)?

2. What happens when I stall on a weight, should I consider a deload or just keep using the same weight until I can get 8x3?

3. i read in your newsletter 'pull the trigger', that there are 3 ways to do more work, use more weight, do more reps, use more sets. So say on my first workout I get 8,5,4, on the second I get 8,6,6 but on the third I only get 8,5,5, should I add an extra set to increase volume/work or should I just leave it and try again next session and keep repeating until I can make 8x3 and then add weight?

4. Is this program suitable for someone on a calorie restricted diet? Goals are to lose bodyfat while increasing strength. I need to keep a certain weight class while increasing strength.

5. Is it possible to not do BB curls as they are not functional for my needs. I would do pull ups/chins and dips, alternating them each workout. Also is it possible to do regular deads instead of SLDL?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Last edited:
Nice program, I will give this a go for 3 months. But just a few questions. Answers, especially from Markos are greatly appreciated.
My goals are to reduce bodyfat and increase strength.

1. Should I repeat the same weight until I can do 8x3 (the full set)?

2. What happens when I stall on a weight, should I consider a deload or just keep using the same weight until I can get 8x3?

3. i read in your newsletter 'pull the trigger', that there are 3 ways to do more work, use more weight, do more reps, use more sets. So say on my first workout I get 8,5,4, on the second I get 8,6,6 but on the third I only get 8,5,5, should I add an extra set to increase volume/work or should I just leave it and try again next session and keep repeating until I can make 8x3 and then add weight?

4. Is this program suitable for someone on a calorie restricted diet? Goals are to lose bodyfat while increasing strength. I need to keep a certain weight class while increasing strength.

5. Is it possible to not do BB curls as they are not functional for my needs. I would do pull ups/chins and dips, alternating them each workout. Also is it possible to do regular deads instead of SLDL?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Here is Markos' answer: Do the program, if you are not recovering eat more, if you can not do the reps eat more, get the reps done add weight, if you can not do the reps again at that weight eat more.

Markos likes eating. :D :D :D

In all seriousness though you do it till you can do the reps, if you are going down in reps performed by the next week then you are undereating by too much or you have way too much on besides lifting. What do you do that has a weight restricted class?

Here is Markos' answer: Do the program, if you are not recovering eat more, if you can not do the reps eat more, get the reps done add weight, if you can not do the reps again at that weight eat more.

Markos likes eating. :D :D :D

In all seriousness though you do it till you can do the reps, if you are going down in reps performed by the next week then you are undereating by too much or you have way too much on besides lifting. What do you do that has a weight restricted class?

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. I do amateur boxing and want to make and stay in the lightweight class. So relative strength is really important to me right now. I know most of Marko's lifters can lift many times more relative to their body weight.

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. I do amateur boxing and want to make and stay in the lightweight class. So relative strength is really important to me right now. I know most of Marko's lifters can lift many times more relative to their body weight.

I would look at something different for a boxer who is really focussing on boxing, Chrisp on here is a former boxer (and runs a boxing gym) talk to him about what he think would be best.

I would look at something different for a boxer who is really focussing on boxing, Chrisp on here is a former boxer (and runs a boxing gym) talk to him about what he think would be best.

John I would look at more specific training for a fighter. Max trains a couple of fighters, they do cleans, push press, squats and deadlifts, then a lot of KB work for conditioning.

While everyone will get stronger on the beginners program, and heavier if they eat enough, it isnt sport specific.

But to answer your question, if by 3 sets you havent done more reps than previously, add a set.

Another option you have to increase intensity, seeing as you want to stay in a weight class, is do the work in less time.

Regular deads will tax your CNS more in my opinion, why not alternate.

I dont like calorie restriction for a fighter, burn the extra calories with sprinting

BB curls are good, even if you only do 1 set at the end of your session

John I would look at more specific training for a fighter. Max trains a couple of fighters, they do cleans, push press, squats and deadlifts, then a lot of KB work for conditioning.

While everyone will get stronger on the beginners program, and heavier if they eat enough, it isnt sport specific.

But to answer your question, if by 3 sets you havent done more reps than previously, add a set.

Another option you have to increase intensity, seeing as you want to stay in a weight class, is do the work in less time.

Regular deads will tax your CNS more in my opinion, why not alternate.

I dont like calorie restriction for a fighter, burn the extra calories with sprinting

BB curls are good, even if you only do 1 set at the end of your session

Just something that came across my mind. Starting Strength advocates doing 3 sets of 5 reps because increasing the volume (no. of sets) or doing high reps will make you stall sooner. ie. it is much easier to do 5 reps of 100kg and keep adding weight rather than 8 reps of 100kg.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Just something that came across my mind. Starting Strength advocates doing 3 sets of 5 reps because increasing the volume (no. of sets) or doing high reps will make you stall sooner. ie. it is much easier to do 5 reps of 100kg and keep adding weight rather than 8 reps of 100kg.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!