• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Maintain high chest and lumbar and thoracic extension through out the lift.....

Drive through the hips and the back angle will sort itself out...

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

140 kg squats are fine if done deep and for high reps. My quads are living proof. Don't deter beginners by stating such arbitrary levels. I've seen PL guys squat 5 plates but their quads still look like crap. In fact, I think most PLs look like crap.

I could say the same about bench.

140 kg squats are fine if done deep and for high reps. My quads are living proof. Don't deter beginners by stating such arbitrary levels. I've seen PL guys squat 5 plates but their quads still look like crap. In fact, I think most PLs look like crap.

Nice generalization. Could just as easily say most bodybuilders are gay.

Also show me all these pictures of huge squatters and small legs. Most powerlifters squat with the P chain anyway how many have a small arse and hams.

So you'd prefer to checkout a mans legs than his impressive lifts?

Gentlemen,

is there anyone in Brisbane South side who I could join a couple of times to correct my techniques?
Despite I lift some weights (b: 130+, d: 180+, s:140+) I think there are a lot I could improve.

thanks for any tips and opportunities.

I have just performed my first week PL style workout:

http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/23334-shorr-training-log.html

Power lifters, please have a look at my routine and help me develop it. My thoughts were that I will do it for 8 weeks adding 2.5 kg extra weight every week. This way I will go up to +20 kg in s b and d in this period.

(I had to take the weights back a bit to learn the proper way to bench (paused) and squat (ass to calves); more than likely I can easily handle more weight once I got used to the new forms that I never done in my life)

Any comments and suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed that no one is doing 5 x 5 sets; it is only me. It brings up an obvious question that: does it make sense to suffer from 5 x 5 in major exercises (sq, dl, b) or I just make a fool of myself?

Seriously, I am not having fun with 5 x 5; is it worth it? :confused:

I noticed that no one is doing 5 x 5 sets; it is only me. It brings up an obvious question that: does it make sense to suffer from 5 x 5 in major exercises (sq, dl, b) or I just make a fool of myself?

Seriously, I am not having fun with 5 x 5; is it worth it? :confused:

Each to their own mate...

I find 5x5 very effective.....

If your not enjoying it then its probably not for you... Any particular reason why you don't enjoy?

Each to their own mate...

I find 5x5 very effective.....

If your not enjoying it then its probably not for you... Any particular reason why you don't enjoy?

Nothing wrong with it, I like the feeling of hardwork; but I can't smile after 5x5, that is all. My concern was if it is effective enough to be worth the effort.

If you are not feeling like you are going to pass out or spew up a lung after 5x5 of squats or deads something is not right.

Especially towards the end of a run up...

Usually involves curling up in the foetal position between sets... Very tough mentally and physically...

Yep, that is what I feel. (that is why I asked if it is worth the effort because I found it effing hard; but I've got it: that is the way it supposed to be. Thx).

An under rated and untalked about, and maybe the most important factor in growth, is motivation and longevity.

If you find your motivation dropping, try a different workout.

Beats getting bummed then taking a workout off, then a week, then 6 months...

Yep, that is what I feel. (that is why I asked if it is worth the effort because I found it effing hard; but I've got it: that is the way it supposed to be. Thx).
I misunderstood and thought you meant it was to easy. Looking at your log it looks like you are doing 5x5 with sets across, did you know you can also do 5x5 where the sets are ramped up so you're only doing one top set. If you arnt doing ramped up sets maybe you could consider the change if you want to stick with 5x5.

An under rated and untalked about, and maybe the most important factor in growth, is motivation and longevity.

Very well said, thanks... but I am far from it, I have been doing sports for 20+ years (my introduction)

I misunderstood and thought you meant it was to easy. Looking at your log it looks like you are doing 5x5 with sets across, did you know you can also do 5x5 where the sets are ramped up so you're only doing one top set. If you arnt doing ramped up sets maybe you could consider the change if you want to stick with 5x5.

I designed this program based on my experience in BB + what I picked up from you, guys. Its an 8 week program, I will either complete it according to my plan or die :)
After that I will decide what's next based on the development I achieved (and on more information I pick up).
I am lucky because anything could help at my level, even my 5x5 routine, so I can't screw it up badly. :)
Thanks all.

Also beats not caring enough to put the proper effort into the sessions that you show up to. When the loads are challenging, your drive to excel and your enthusiasm towards the program rapidly becomes a make-or-break issue.