• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bcaa worth it ?

I plan on having BCAA's between meals and during training when I diet later on this year, "Studies suggest" they're quite effective at sparing muscle while dieting.

Give it a go, and report back.

When should BCAA's / EAA's be taken? I have got myself some EAA's, i only take 10g in my post workout shake..

Why would you take bcaa's if your trying to drop weight?

because they are a zero calorie source of protein, and I want to drop fat and as little muscle as possible.

I plan on having BCAA's between meals and during training when I diet later on this year, "Studies suggest" they're quite effective at sparing muscle while dieting.

Give it a go, and report back.

Will do

When should BCAA's / EAA's be taken? I have got myself some EAA's, i only take 10g in my post workout shake..

I believe it depends on your size, I'm planing on having prob around 30gs the days I workout, something like 10 pre 10 post and then another 10 1 hour later.

If your taking your full load of protein then it becomes redundant.
But if your dieting and working out then it could be a tool in trying to minimise muscle loss. I use it WHILST working out but if im bulking I dont generally take it as im already loaded on protein and other goodies.

because they are a zero calorie source of protein, and I want to drop fat and as little muscle

They why not make the calories you DO consume during your cut protein anyway? I don't know anyone who cuts back of food and supplements with bcaa's. Protein is the one calorie you shouldn't be supplementing.

Interesting comments about bcaa's reducing muscle loss during a cut would be interesting to see a study. I personally think you should have them whenever you can anyway.

They why not make the calories you DO consume during your cut protein anyway? I don't know anyone who cuts back of food and supplements with bcaa's. Protein is the one calorie you shouldn't be supplementing.

Interesting comments about bcaa's reducing muscle loss during a cut would be interesting to see a study. I personally think you should have them whenever you can anyway.

I don't understand what your talking about.

Im going to be trying some soon due to my training sessions taking 3-3 1/2 hours.

Ill be mixing it with gatorade

BCAA's
Research Summary: BCAA's ability to prevent immunosuppression in endurance athletes has been fairly consistent. However, the data indicating BCAA's ability to prevent muscle catabolism in non-acute trials is scarce. The following study showed positive results that I'd like to see replicated: Mourier and colleagues ecamined the effect of BCAA on the body composition and exercise performance in 25 elite wrestlers. The 19 day study compared 3 hypocaloric diets: a high protein, low protein and high BCAA diet. The latter diet was superior to the others for weight and fat loss. Contrary to what their basic physiological role might lead us to assume, BCAA has failed at showing benefit as an exercise performance enhancer across various treatment protocols (oral, infusion, with/without carbohydrate). In a recent 10 week trial, Kerksick's team observed a whey/casein blend to be superior over BCAA/whey/glutamine mix for improving strength and body composition. This trial needed better control of energy balance, but it still points to the possibility of isolated BCAA receiving undue hype. Additional BCAA supplementation on top of a pre-existing high protein intake is likely unnecessary, since many common foods (dairy, meats, even peanuts) and animal-derived protein supplements already contain a high concentration of BCAA (whey contains roughly 25% BCAA).

Like I said during exercise or extended exercise such as when your cutting and dieting and or long hours of aerobic exercise it has its use.

In my case for example im running bare maintenance calories yet doing HIIT and 2hrs or so of aerobic exercise. I consume full protein intake but I know during those hours of exercise I simply wouldnt have the plasma levels to minimise catabolism and a BCAA loaded drink WHILST exercising is the best and quickest way to replenish.
IF I was bulking then my exercise regimen would be different and my need for bcaa would be negligible imo.
Do I think its vital or essential or does a lot, absolutely not, does it help somewhat yes and it all counts.

Studies :

"The authors examined the effect of branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) supplementation on squat-exercise-induced delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) using 12 young, healthy, untrained female participants. The experiment was conducted with a crossover double-blind design. In the morning on the exercise-session day, the participants ingested either BCAA (isoleucine:leucine:valine = 1:2.3:1.2) or dextrin at 100 mg/kg body weight before the squat exercise, which consisted of 7 sets of 20 squats/set with 3-min intervals between sets. DOMS showed a peak on Days 2 and 3 in both trials, but the level of soreness was significantly lower in the BCAA trial than in the placebo. Leg-muscle force during maximal voluntary isometric contractions was measured 2 d after exercise (Day 3), and the BCAA supplementation suppressed the muscle-force decrease (to ~80% of the value recorded under the control conditions) observed in the placebo trial. Plasma BCAA concentrations, which decreased after exercise in the placebo trial, were markedly elevated during the 2 hr postexercise in the BCAA trial. Serum myoglobin concentration was increased by exercise in the placebo but not in the BCAA trial. The concentration of plasma elastase as an index of neutrophil activation appeared to increase after the squat exercise in both trials, but the change in the elastase level was significant only in the placebo trial. These results suggest that muscle damage may be suppressed by BCAA supplementation.
"

"
Five male endurance-trained subjects performed exhaustive exercise on a cycle ergometer at a work rate corresponding to 75% of their VO2max after reduction of their muscle glycogen stores. During exercise the subjects were given in random order a 6% carbohydrate solution continuing 7 g L-1 of branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), a 6% CHO solution and flavoured water. The physical performance was lowered in four of the five subjects when they were given flavoured water during exercise as compared with the two conditions when CHO was supplied. No difference in performance was found when the subjects were given CHO + BCAA or only CHO during exercise. When CHO + BCAA was supplied the plasma and muscle (vastus lateralis) concentrations of BCAA increased during exercise by 120 and 35%, respectively. In the other conditions there was no change or a slight decrease in the plasma concentrations of BCAA, but the muscle concentrations of BCAA were decreased after exercise. The plasma concentration of glutamine over the whole exercise period and 5 min after exercise was higher when CHO + BCAA were supplied during exercise compared with a supply of CHO alone or water.
"

"
AIM: Skeletal muscle growth is thought to be regulated by the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway, which can be activated by resistance exercise and branched-chain amino acids (BCAA). The major aim of the present study was to distinguish between the influence of resistance exercise and BCAA on key enzymes considered to be involved in the regulation of protein synthesis, including p70(S6) kinase (p70(S6k)).
METHODS: Nine healthy subjects (four men and five women) performed unilateral resistance exercise on two occasions separated by 1 month. Subjects were randomly supplied either a mixture of BCAA or flavoured water. Muscle biopsies were taken from both resting and exercising muscle before, after and 1 h after exercise.
RESULTS: Phosphorylation of Akt was unaltered by either resistance exercise and/or BCAA supplementation whereas mTOR phosphorylation was enhanced (P<0.05) to a similar extent in both exercising and resting muscle following exercise in the absence (70-90%) and presence of BCAA supplementation (80-130%). Phosphorylation of p70(S6k) was unaffected by resistance exercise alone; however, BCAA intake increased (P<0.05) this phosphorylation in both legs following exercise. In resting muscle, a 5- and 16-fold increase in p70(S6k) was observed immediately after and 1 h after exercise, respectively, as compared to 11- and 30-fold increases in the exercising muscle. Phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 was attenuated 1 h after exercise (P<0.05) in both resting (10-40%) and exercising muscle (30-50%) under both conditions.
CONCLUSION: The present findings indicate that resistance exercise and BCAA exert both separate and combined effects on the p70(S6k) phosphorylation in an Akt-independent manner.
"

"The purpose of this study was to investigate whether short-term amino acid supplementation could maintain a short-term net anabolic hormonal profile and decrease muscle cell damage during a period of high-intensity resistance training (overreaching), thereby enhancing recovery and decreasing the risk of injury and illness. Eight previously resistance trained males were randomly assigned to either a high branched chain amino acids (BCAA) or placebo group. Subjects consumed the supplement for 3 weeks before commencing a fourth week of supplementation with concomitant high-intensity total-body resistance training (overreaching) (3 x 6-8 repetitions maximum, 8 exercises). Blood was drawn prior to and after supplementation, then again after 2 and 4 days of training. Serum was analyzed for testosterone, cortisol, and creatine kinase. Serum testosterone levels were significantly higher (p < 0.001), and cortisol and creatine kinase levels were significantly lower (p < 0.001, and p = 0.004, respectively) in the BCAA group during and following resistance training. These findings suggest that short-term amino acid supplementation, which is high in BCAA, may produce a net anabolic hormonal profile while attenuating training-induced increases in muscle tissue damage. Athletes' nutrient intake, which periodically increases amino acid intake to reflect the increased need for recovery during periods of overreaching, may increase subsequent competitive performance while decreasing the risk of injury or illness.
"

"
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are essential amino acids that can be oxidized in skeletal muscle. It is known that BCAA oxidation is promoted by exercise. The mechanism responsible for this phenomenon is attributed to activation of the branched-chain alpha-keto acid dehydrogenase (BCKDH) complex, which catalyzes the second-step reaction of the BCAA catabolic pathway and is the rate-limiting enzyme in the pathway. This enzyme complex is regulated by a phosphorylation-dephosphorylation cycle. The BCKDH kinase is responsible for inactivation of the complex by phosphorylation, and the activity of the kinase is inversely correlated with the activity state of the BCKDH complex, which suggests that the kinase is the primary regulator of the complex. We found recently that administration of ligands for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPARalpha) in rats caused activation of the hepatic BCKDH complex in association with a decrease in the kinase activity, which suggests that promotion of fatty acid oxidation upregulates the BCAA catabolism. Long-chain fatty acids are ligands for PPARalpha, and the fatty acid oxidation is promoted by several physiological conditions including exercise. These findings suggest that fatty acids may be one of the regulators of BCAA catabolism and that the BCAA requirement is increased by exercise. Furthermore, BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis; this suggests the possibility that BCAAs are a useful supplement in relation to exercise and sports.
"

"
AIM: The aim of this paper was to assess the effects of branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) supplementation on muscle soreness, muscle damage and inflammation during an intensive training program.
METHODS: Twelve long-distance runners (20 + or - 1 year-old) participated in a double-blinded crossover designed study conducted during two intensive training periods (three-day). The subjects were provided either a drink containing BCAA (0.8% BCAA in a 3.5% carbohydrate solution; 2,500 mL/day) or an isocaloric placebo drink during each training period. All subjects completed the same training program (total running distance: males: 86 km, females: 64 km), and ate the same meals during the training period. Whole body muscle soreness and fatigue sensation were measured in the morning before and during the training period by Visual Analogue Scale method. Plasma creatine kinase (CK), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and granulocyte elastase (GEL) levels were measured as indicators of muscle damage and inflammation before and after the training period.
RESULTS: Muscle soreness and fatigue sensation during the training period in the BCAA trial were lower than those in the placebo trial (-32% and -24%, respectively; P<0.05). The plasma CK, LDH, and GEL levels after the training program in the BCAA trial were lower than those in the placebo trial (-21%, -6%, and -15%, respectively; P<0.05).
CONCLUSIONS: These results demonstrate that BCAA supplementation during an intensive training program effectively reduces the muscle soreness and fatigue sensation, and that the perceived changes could be attributed to the attenuation of muscle damage and inflammation.
"

"
The effects of branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) supplementation on the lactate threshold (LT) were investigated as an index of endurance exercise capacity. Eight trained male subjects (21+/-2 y) participated in a double-blind crossover placebo-controlled study. The subjects were randomly assigned to two groups and were provided either a BCAA drink (0.4% BCAA, 4% carbohydrate; 1,500 mL/d) or an iso-caloric placebo drink for 6 d. On the 7th day, the subjects performed an incremental loading exercise test with a cycle ergometer until exhaustion in order to measure the LT. The test drink (500 mL) was ingested 15-min before the test. Oxygen consumption VO2 and the respiratory exchange ratio (RER) during the exercise test were measured with the breath-by-breath method. Blood samples were taken before and during the exercise test to measure the blood lactate and plasma BCAA concentrations. The same exercise test was performed again 1 wk later. BCAA supplementation increased the plasma BCAA concentration during the exercise test, while plasma BCAA concentration decreased in the placebo trial. The RER during the exercise test in the BCAA trial was lower than that in the placebo trial (p<0.05). The VO2 and workload levels at LT point in the BCAA trial were higher than those in the placebo trial (VO2: 29.8+/-6.8 vs. 26.4+/-5.4 mL/kg/min; workload: 175+/-42 vs. 165+/-38 W, p<0.05, respectively). The VO2max in the BCAA trial was higher than that in the placebo trial (47.1+/-5.7 vs. 45.2+/-5.0 mL/kg/min, p<0.05). These results suggest that BCAA supplementation may be effective to increase the endurance exercise capacity.
"

I have EAA's and think they're great. I've stayed fairly lean and still been able to build a little bit of muscle. I also think they help me recover faster after a big workout as well.

Interesting read but like I said why use them for cutting?? Why not use them all the time.

You can certainly use them all the time if youd like.

I myself generally use it when im cutting or doing extensive cardio sessions which is generally when im cutting lol

And because Im cutting(restricted calorie intake + tons of cardio/HIIT) id like to try to minimise muscle loss as much as possible yet accelerate fat loss. BCAA(with some EAA) imo is a beneficial addition to my gatorade/powderade drink yet in its self contains negligible calories. That is not implying I dont take my protein because I do but the sources of my protein and the calories I therefore end up consuming change substantially.

However when im bulking up I dont do anywhere as much cardio, my exercise regimen changes and I eat eat eat and therefore I dont feel the necessity to supplement with BCAA. I do still use it when the occasion calls for it though.

Make sense?

Interesting read but like I said why use them for cutting?? Why not use them all the time.

A couple of reasons:

• It's are expensive, ~80bucks for 90 servers which for me is only around 30-45 servers.
  • My protein powder contains bcaas and therefore when I'm not dieting or trying to drop weight I am getting them anyways from just taking the addition 1-2 shakes a day I normally take.
  • I prefer to have as little supplements as possible, the main reason I like bcaa is its an easy way to drop 200-400 calories from my diet, by taking them instead of protein shakes.

You can certainly use them all the time if youd like.

I myself generally use it when im cutting or doing extensive cardio sessions which is generally when im cutting lol

And because Im cutting(restricted calorie intake + tons of cardio/HIIT) id like to try to minimise muscle loss as much as possible yet accelerate fat loss. BCAA(with some EAA) imo is a beneficial addition to my gatorade/powderade drink yet in its self contains negligible calories. That is not implying I dont take my protein because I do but the sources of my protein and the calories I therefore end up consuming change substantially.

However when im bulking up I dont do anywhere as much cardio, my exercise regimen changes and I eat eat eat and therefore I dont feel the necessity to supplement with BCAA. I do still use it when the occasion calls for it though.

Make sense?

I'm thinking of doing cardio in the morning for 40-60 mins do you think I should take a bcaa then ?

I was originally thinking I would only take them when I had my big workouts which is mon/wed/fri|sat, where I would take 10g pre and 10g during 10 post. But I'm also trying to do cardio in the morning as often as I can.

I am doing a starvtion type diet so I think taking some in the morning would be useful now that I think about it.

Each to their own I guess. My bcaa's are cheaper then that. Protein coverts to bcaa's in your body anyway. And if your cutting you should be dropping your carb intake not your protein intake as you need as much clean protein as possible and considering it has a low conversion to fat it's the way to go. Look into a cheaper bulk protein and add your own bcaa's, it's allot cheaper the buying max's super anabolic pump with bcaa's.

Nathan your paying wayyyy too much for your stuff.

Protein is a whole collection of Amino Acids including BCAA and EAA. So dont believe the marketing BS unless 1 brand has actually dumped in EXTRA BCAA powder into theirs, otherwise theyd all roughly contain the same amount given the same type of protein.

You should definately take BCAA (maybe with some EAA) whilst doing your cardio runs etc especially as your in a "starvation" type diet.

Go to purebulk.com and get bulk stuff of whatever you need. Make your own "pump" drinks etc for a lot cheaper. Their prices especially with usd almost same as aud is cheap as and add in my coupon code VIP and you get another 10% off(assuming code still works).
You could also try iherb and other places too.

Gaucheharbor:
Overall I agree with your last post except that whilst cutting you shouldnt cut your carb too much and though you shouldnt try to cut your protein you would need to re-evaluate your protein sources ie the type of foods and their calories/contents and upping your powder content to still stay calorie deficit.

When I say cut carbs I believe leaving carbs in your morning meal and also before and after workouts. If your cutting I don't see why you would have too many carbs other then those times unless you had a very physical job.