• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Barbell curl

I really like the barbell curl, I like using it as a finisher, the standing barbell curl works a lot of muscle if worked hard.

Another good finisher is farmer's.

But here is something to try.

We pick up a weighted bar stand straight or erect and rip out 3x10, as I've been around for some time and done a few workouts what really hits me is rep efficiency, really think this is one aspect that not many seem to grasp.

Instead of standing erect, just bend over (at the hip) slightly, this changes the angle at full contraction, when lowering just stop before the bicep looses tension.

So, in effect the muscles worked are under constant tension, you'll only need one, two at most sets, do it right you'll only be able to do one.

The trick is to not lose tension and maintain form.

Good one Goosey
- A couple of other ideas following the same idea which I just happened to do tonight, set the backrest of an adjustable bench at 45 degrees and place a folded towel on top, now rest your forehead on top of the backrest bending at the hips and do your barbell curls.

- Lay face down on an adjustable incline bench at 45degrees or less with your chin hanging over the top and proceed to curl with dumbells, both arms at the same time.

- Another finisher I like to use, sit on the end of a bench with the barbell resting on your lap, now curl with only the top half of the movement, as an added bonus this'll also give your abs a good workout.

Lol..

Drag curls can be a good finisher also. Usually what ive done when i log bb curlz(pretty rare) :p

is that because the wrong technique in the picture is using too much body english?

The idea is constant tension on the biceps LPS, By leaning slightly forward at the top of the movement.

Sorry Goose, didn't mean to barge in

Last edited:
+1 for the 50+ rep BB curl sets.

Using equipment that you wouldn't normally consider for curls are some of my favourites.

KB Curls with supinated grip change the strength curve just enough in the top ROM to make it very different to regular DB Curls.

KB Hammer Curls. The bell must stay in line with the forearm and will change the leverage and smashed brachialis pretty hard.

Trap Bar Drag Curl, using a similar position to the photo Goosey put up, stand the trap bar and grab the straight side. You can use either regular or reverse grip but I think the reverse grip is better.

Yep, love the BB curl. I have used the ez in the past when the wrists were taking a beating, but the bicep is worked so much better with a barbell.

Another way to achieve similar results is to lie on an incline bench and let your arms hang down with the bar in your hand and curl from this position, it also helps to stabiliae the body while avoiding using unnecessary body language to assist lifting the weight.

Goosey, what about doing 21s with the BB?

ie lower half of the curl x 7 reps, upper half x 7 reps then full ROM x 7 reps.
I do this with DBs and it's a killer but really good.

I'm doing them wrong then Goosey, I do a full ROM. You're saying it should be a smaller ROM... will try this.

For me, it gets uncomfortable very quickly, compared to the conventional way.

And, to me, this is what exercise is all about.

I like to do my curls really heavy put my back into. Bit like a hyperextension with a curl thrown in for a little bit of bicep activation.

Am I doing it right goosey?

When you watch someone do a heavy barbell curl they stand up straight, with their elbows at the side.

You'll see them sort of resting at the top, the last 250mm there is minimal resistance, moving toward horizontal the resistance increases dramatically and in the same wat then decreases at a dramatic rate at full extension, so in a standard curl you are only recieving a very small area of intensity of "work".

You might think oh, I'm doing full range of movement, but the actual work is limited and the exercise inefficient, which inturn requires more sets.

All things being equal If you are able to apply direct resistance from start to Finish, then the intensity of work is much higher and muscle fatigue sets in much sooner.

You can apply this idea to all exercises.

i have always done my standing curls slightly bent over as i felt it gave a much better burn. and hate that vertical rest goosey just mentioned