• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bar-bell bench press

I bench with my middle fingers on the rings.. Found through trial and error that this seems to be the most comfortable and strongest position for me. Sometimes I do go a little wider, and i also specifically do close grip bench (I set width on this by touching tips of my thumbs together).

I follow 5/3/1 ATM like big mick, except I do my 5x10 immediately after my main sets.

I enjoy it.. and it makes it easy to setup when all I've gotta do is pull some plates off lol. I don't know if one way is better than the other, but so far I'm comfortable with this.

DOMS after 5/3/1 + 5x10 squats do kick my arse though a day or two later haha

I enjoy it.. and it makes it easy to setup when all I've gotta do is pull some plates off lol. I don't know if one way is better than the other, but so far I'm comfortable with this.

DOMS after 5/3/1 + 5x10 squats do kick my arse though a day or two later haha

Good to see all the various options with 5/3/1, will see how I feel after my 3 month challenge is completed:)

What grip width are you using and why?

Ring finger on the score, using a bulldog grip (see red line is this photo: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3462721&d=1308686489)

What weekly rep ranges do you use?

Weekly? Train bench 3x a week, 1-10 reps. All sets 3 reps or under using 3 count pause. Doing modified version of Sheiko CMS, which is high volume Monday and Friday (up to 8 sets of 3 at 80%) and on Wednesdays a big pyramid working from 50% to 85-90% back down to 50% again.

Should we be training narrow width (hands shoulder width) as opposed to much wider?

No. That's too prescriptive. Works what feels natural, strong and doesn't bung up your shoulders. I switch up between middle finger and little finger on the score. Sometimes I get used to one, then suddenly it feels stronger further out or further in.

Grip: wide as I'm allowed to take advantage of my chest power, short arms, thick chest and jacked arch. All for the purpose of competition.

Rep range: 1-5 depending on programming. Mostly triples at 80%.

Shoulder width: Meh. Mechanically inefficient and you can load tris better by going slightly wider and being able to lift more.

What do you tip rats think of the comments made in this attachment?

Keeping in mind that the bench press is done as an exercise, and not a competitive lift.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380089465.441968.jpg

I'm guessing they are saying a greater range of motion of the narrow grip makes it a better exercise. Which is probably true, assuming the weight you can move is the same as with a moderate or wide grip, which is not the case since with a moderate or wide grip you are able to get your chest more involved.

Since you posted this in the strength forum im guessing its from the perspective of training for strength (not for a competition 1RM or for aesthetics), thus I would say that even if the greater range of motion is desirable, the ability to move more weight by engaging more muscles is more desirable.

The extra wide grip is probably good for many competitive lifters due to the reduced range of motion and thus bigger total, but I cant comment there really.

[MENTION=8564]Semillon[/MENTION]; how do you figure that there is more chest involvement with the wide grip?

Taken me 6 months to move my grip out 5cm, definitely feel the benefit in a bench shirt, but takes time to get used to it raw.

It's a given that the bar will travel further with narrower grip on the left.

Yeah, ok, so if you where going to perform an exercise to increase the strength of your pecs or just generally the upper torso, I suppose I'm asking which is the most efficiant and safe?

If you look at the line of resistance created by the bar, (which is straight down) which looks stronger?
All things being equal, Which one will make you stronger?

I'm guessing they are saying a greater range of motion of the narrow grip makes it a better exercise. Which is probably true, assuming the weight you can move is the same as with a moderate or wide grip, which is not the case since with a moderate or wide grip you are able to get your chest more involved.

Since you posted this in the strength forum im guessing its from the perspective of training for strength (not for a competition 1RM or for aesthetics), thus I would say that even if the greater range of motion is desirable, the ability to move more weight by engaging more muscles is more desirable.

The extra wide grip is probably good for many competitive lifters due to the reduced range of motion and thus bigger total, but I cant comment there really.

Bazinga!

Except I think there is less involvement of the pecs.

Taken me 6 months to move my grip out 5cm, definitely feel the benefit in a bench shirt, but takes time to get used to it raw.

Did someone say bench shirt......

5501639440_3009269fea_z.jpg

I couldn't give a continental about that, I'm interested in the exercise.
Not the competitive lift.

Usually go wide on flat to hit the outside, narrower on incline to hit upper inner and cover both ends with heavy flys.

What grip width are you using and why?

What weekly rep ranges do you use?

Should we be training narrow width (hands shoulder width) as opposed to much wider?
1. A natural medium grip, except when I do CGBP.

2. Mostly between 5 and 8 inclusive.

3. We should be doing whatever the fuck we want to do. More to the point, what works. I've tried all kinds of grips, even suicide grip for a bit, and it's probably the bset way to go: try everything and see how it goes.

My thoughts were just a process of elimination, most people suggest close grip = more of a tricep exercise, so I figured inversly you got more chest involvement with a moderate or wider grip.