• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bad Spotters Ugly 7

Fadi

I can’t remember the last time I had someone spot me in the b/bell bench press. I liked my d/bells and never really gone so heavy in the b/bell press to require a spot from anyone. This brings me to the subject of this thread. I’ve listed seven inappropriate, ugly, and at times needlessly dangerous things that occur when spotting.

1. The spotter pulls the weight up through his line of power which derails your own line of power.
2. The spotter’s perspiration drips right onto your face or worse, in your eyes or mouth.
3. The spotter is not your partner and you’ve had no previous experience with his abilities and demeanour (and vice- versa).
4. The spotter does not know when to shut up and when to speak his words of encouragement.
5. The spotter is a bad judge of the situation at hand. He does your joints a disservice when he falsely believes that he’s actually doing you a favour by not spotting you enough.
6. The opposite of # 5 above but this time, rather than causing you a possible injury, he’s just simply wasting your time (or set), by helping too much.
7. Picking a beautiful and athletic female to spot you; only to let you down due to the lack of her strength, (which was no match for your inflated ego and the too heavy weight you’ve chosen to lift).

These were the ugly sevens I could come up with when it came to the failed art of spotting. It’s an art that has to be learnt or injury and discomfort may be inflicted upon you or by you, (depending whether you’re on the receiving or giving end).

Speaking from an injury point of view, I truly believe that #1 of the above list is the most dangerous of all the ugly 7s. The reason for this is that the damage takes place so subtlety and gradually, that neither the lifter nor the spotter are aware of any misgivings. The flip side to #1 where the spotter is pulling the weight up toward himself rather than following your line of pressing, occurs when the spotter lifts the weight off the bar for you, then lets it go before you're muscles are in the "loaded position".

A loaded position is when your muscles are in their contracted phase as opposed to their totally relaxed phase. Ouch, please have mercy on my shoulder joints!

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen, now it’s over to you. Share your thoughts and experiences here, so as to help us refine the art of spotting for the benefit of all the trainers who use spotters. Thank you.

Fadi.

Last edited:
7. Picking a beautiful and athletic female to spot you; only to let you down due to the lack of her strength, (which was no match for your inflated ego and the too heavy weight you’ve chosen to lift).

This. HAAHHAHAHA

number 8.. the inconsiderate spotter that decides he need to stand over your head practically tea bagging you!

But agree i like to struggle a bit with the bar and if some one races over and grabs it it can reak havock on your shoulders, and chest muscles, even when i push up a heavy weight i pause a bit and slowly relax from the bar.

What about a spotter who drops a hot stinky protein fart right in your face, causing you to drop the barbell on your neck!!!

Or as Trofius mentioned, a guy teabagging you, especially if he is sweaty and stinky and has remnants of protein fart remaining in his shorts.

The spotter starts to flirt with the girl beside doing stiff deadlift:D

The spotter wear loose shorts with no underwear so you can see right up...

The ones who seem to think they have something other than spotting to offer.
They wank on about how you should do it and all kinds of bullshite advice when they really know stuff all.
If anyone ever asks me to spot I do it,shut up and move away when the job is done.If they think I am knowledgeable enough to ask advice of me I`m sure they will ask.

The only people who ask me to spot are guys who lift more than me. So even if I see them doing something that looks wrong to me, well... they lift more than me, so it obviously works for them! If it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid :D

I might only comment on something like, "your right side is much lower than left as you push up", because that's a safety thing and not always obvious to the person as they're lifting.

Sometimes I ask others to spot, and I find the most common mistake is that they try to help you on every lift whether you need it or not. I say, "I just want a spot for safety, not to help me complete the reps. Only if I lift and then drop and actually say "help!" should you step in, okay?" They nod and smile and then fiddle with the bar and destroy my personal records, thanks guys.

The only ones to spot properly are those guys stronger than me I talked about above.

Anyway, it's one of the reasons I've gone off bench press as it's the only exercise I do where I really need a spotter for safety, in the others I can just drop the weight.

I beleive a spot (other than safety reasons) should only be for the last rep, after that you have already failed and I connot see any point in continuing after failure has accurred.

I do agree that the spotter should be there for the last rep, and leave you to yourself before that.
But your spotter should be your gym partner, as they will know when your last rep is coming.
And whether you have an extra 2-3 in you.

Well, a helping spot on a few reps is more or less equivalent to the old continuous "drop sets", where you go to near failure then someone strips a plate or two off and you keep going.

It's another tool in our strength building shed. Not needed as often as it's done in mainstream gyms, though, with the old Two Man Combined Bench Press Barbell Row ;)

If the lifter has requested this Kyle.

A spotter can be useful for forced negatives aswell.
Forced negatives was a popular method of training in the 80's an 90's, not sure many lifters use this technique nowadays.

Last edited:
The spotter who is talking so much, that they spit talk on you whilst you are bench pressing & you can't even wipe it off - oh & they didn't see it of course!

Let's just say I no longer have a spotter............;)

"Forced begatives". Honest mistake yeh? Unless it's a system I've missed somewhere along the way.:)

Fadi.

For the most part we dont use spotters at PTC, unless a lifter requests one, or I deem he needs one.

I teach lifters the correct pathway for a bar to travel on a bench press. A missed lift has the bar resting on a lifters nipples, no harm. Deadlift is obviously not an issue, nor is overhead pressing.

Depending on the lifter, we use a spotter on the squat. I know Nick and Max dont like nor want them. I never used one either. Nick missed a 190kg squat 2 weeks ago and simply dumped the bar backwards.

Another reason we dont use them often is that we rarely go to positive failure, preferring to leave one in the bank as I have stated in the newsletters.

This concept seems foreign to most "bodybuilders", but that is the way the strongest athletes in the world train. Rarely do they fail in the gym. But they keep increasing the training poundage.

We do use negatives and forced reps on occasions in the gym, 3-4 times a year for a lifter.....tops.

I know pro bodybuilders state that its the last 3-4 reps that get the growth, but I believe that increasing the training weight from 100kg-102.5kg-105kg-107.5kg is a far better way to trigger muscle growth.