• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Back building (what does it take)

My back is lacking musculature. This thread has motivated me to get back into the rows and chins (had to quit the chins a while back thanks to a shoulder injury).

andy what are your thoughts on wide grip pull ups compared to shoulder width pull ups? And what about the chest supported row (rowing with pad on chest) compared to other rows?

The more you talk the dumber you sound.

lol owned.

but andy, is there a difference apart from using different equipment between dumbbell rows, barbell rows, seated rows, chest supported rows, t-bar rows ect?

Is one the "best" in terms of building the back. I currently do chest supported rows and it doesn't feel that great lol. What would you recommend. BTW i do row 3x10.

andy what are your thoughts on wide grip pull ups compared to shoulder width pull ups? And what about the chest supported row (rowing with pad on chest) compared to other rows?

As an exercise and for working the back i'd say that the row is possibly the best whole back workout

The best hand spacing is about 700mm with the hands facing each other.

To really focus on the back without having to be concerned about the lumber, I'd recommend the one arm dumbbell row.

With using a wide grip on the pull up you are shortening the rom of the upper arm and working on a different plain in stead of the upper arm starting at the front of the body and traveling passed the torso like a regular chin up, it's starting out the side of the torso to the side of the body.
Plus, the shoulder capsule is open creating less stability.

Obviously all the movements are quite similar.

I think it's more just the emphasis on either Lats or Traps + involvement of the stabiliser type muscles ie chest supported vs bent over

Dead-lifting and pull-ups are demanding exercise so the squat would need to take a back seat still do them but back off a tad.

Pfft. Bullshit.

What's worked for me...

Chins thrice a week, rows twice a week, deads and/or cleans once a week. I need to do more cleans myself but my back has never lacked without them.

Pfft. Bullshit.

What's worked for me...

Chins thrice a week, rows twice a week, deads and/or cleans once a week. I need to do more cleans myself but my back has never lacked without them.

I do love a good discussion but You are an argumentative goose.

You are never moderated in your views and it's getting fucking boring.

a correct form video on 1 arm dumbbell row?

I think you need not worry too much about watching a video.

What's important to me is which way the upper arm is moving, one thing I see a lot is trainees moving the weight with their forearm/hand, imagine if you will that the resistance is behind the elbow.

I do love a good discussion but You are an argumentative goose.

You are never moderated in your views and it's getting fucking boring.

Says the guy who just said to someone...
The more you talk the dumber you sound.
I'll moderate my views when I don't have any. I'm always open to discussion as well but if I consider something wrong then I will call it wrong. Just like you.

You need not give up squats to build a big, strong back. Heavy back squats require a lot of upper back work to keep and arched back. Front and zerchers possibly more so to help keep the body upright. Giving this extra work up is unnecessary and you are honestly the only person I have ever read who suggests you do so.

Last edited:
Says the guy who just said to someone...
I'll moderate my views when I don't have any. I'm always open to discussion as well but if I consider something wrong then I will call it wrong. Just like you.

You need not give up squats to build a big, strong back. Heavy squats back require a lot of upper back work to keep and arched back. Front and zerchers possibly more so to help keep the body upright. Giving this extra work up is unnecessary and you are honestly the only person I have ever read who suggests you do so.

"suggests you do so."

Do what?

Do you think there is any value in the cable row?
I find it difficult to get the form with BB rows. Similarly with db rows i dont feel it hitting my back as much i think it should

also i was thinking an advantage of the cable row is its almost a direct opposite motion of the bench press (i assume thats a good thing? lol) as i dont have the flexibility to get into that position for the bb row

Is there much carryover from BB row to DB row? Like if I add 10kg to each DB on my DB row, will my BB row go up by 20kg?

DB row is easier to move heavy weight because you use your support your body with your other arm, with BB row, you are bent over and use only your core to support you.

Just like I add that I have found rack deads alot better for hitting the back than full deads...

You're not the first person to say that Joel. Guess it makes sense in a way

Do you think there is any value in the cable row?
I find it difficult to get the form with BB rows. Similarly with db rows i dont feel it hitting my back as much i think it should

also i was thinking an advantage of the cable row is its almost a direct opposite motion of the bench press (i assume thats a good thing? lol) as i dont have the flexibility to get into that position for the bb row

I'm the same as you. I've always found BB and DB rows awkward.
It's the only machine I've used at the gym in forever (the seated row).

If I'm at home I grab my gymnastic rings and do inverted rows or medium grip overhand pull ups

Just like I add that I have found rack deads alot better for hitting the back than full deads...

I'd actually agree with that too a degree. Racks deads do require more upper and lower back work than conventional purely for the act that they take a lot of leg work out. However they are prone to misuse and awful form.